F.A.O Leazesmag

Mad Jock

I agree with all that but my post was about a changing financial reality and the previous board not having the wealth to compete with the new owners in the premiership.

Its a fairly uncontentious point to be fair.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't you realise that most people know and accept that the previous regime ran the club well but:

1. Their methods wouldn't work now - just an acknowledgment would be good.

2. How would you raise the money to mount the challenge we all agree we should make?

Listen, I've got to go out. I'm not interested in your excuses for Mike Ashley. If I knew how to raise money [like the Halls and Shepherd knew how to raise money] I'd be doing the job and bringing out the sort of salary that you despise anyway.

As Mike Ashley is such a super businessman, I'm sure when he put in place measures which have lost revenues he had suitable alternatives to the ones the hopeless Halls and Shepherd put into place that brought european football and an expanded stadium ?

Yes ? Is this too difficult for you ?

If YOU are happy to be a 2nd rate selling club again, more fool you, but some of us don't under-sell the club.

I agree with all that but my post was about a changing financial reality and the previous board not having the wealth to compete with the new owners in the premiership.

so he took us down into the 2nd division, where the Halls and Shepherd picked us up from the floor of, and started selling our best players again ?

Why can't you realise that most people know and accept that the previous regime ran the club well but:

2. How would you raise the money to mount the challenge we all agree we should make?

Listen, I've got to go out. I'm not interested in your excuses for Mike Ashley. If I knew how to raise money [like the Halls and Shepherd knew how to raise money] I'd be doing the job and bringing out the sort of salary that you despise anyway.

As Mike Ashley is such a super businessman, I'm sure when he put in place measures which have lost revenues he had suitable alternatives to the ones the hopeless Halls and Shepherd put into place that brought european football and an expanded stadium ?

If YOU are happy to be a 2nd rate selling club again, more fool you, but some of us don't under-sell the club.

No acknowledgement of changed times as usual - do you really not realise the difference between 1994 and 2011?

Lost revenues? - chicken feed in the scheme of things - even if it was 50m a year which it isn't how high would that get you?

The Halls did not "raise money" - they used the expansion of the club from promotion with tv revenues as a platform to go public and then borrrowed, borrowed and borrowed again against the club.

How will that work now in 2011?

I can see it but i can also not see any feasible way a board as relatively poor as the previous one would have survived. Did you not read the list of personal wealth invested into Bolton, Stoke, Fulham etc? Its right across the board. Wigan's chairman had to invest his own money too. He is 10 to 15 times richer than the Hall and Shepherd family put together. Take it from an professional economist of 15 years, the bank would have been a bad, temporary and inadequate solution. Increasing commercial revenues by 10 to 15m is neither here nor there, it would have hardly paid for the accumulated debt.

With the amount of subsidised wealth in the premiership now (paying for the overall debt), its not hard to draw these conclusions. The model has changed, i thank the previous board for giving us the platform, i castigate the current lot for not taking advantage of that platform. The reason why they havent is because the investment required now is absurd and they are tight arses. Its not a one dimensional argument though, he has used personal wealth, just lower levels of it than at Bolton and Stoke. That personal wealth didnt exist for the previous board. Well it does now, after Ashley paid them 136m for the club they bought for 3m but even that is peanuts am afraid.

thats as may be, but the notion that "anybody but Fred" was bollocks, the constant harping on about "trophy signings" was bollocks, the point is that in their time they had the club competing where they ought to be. What you say is like saying Jackie Milburn wouldn't be as good as a modern centre forward because he played with a heavier ball and wore heavier boots. Its bollocks, you can only perform against your competitors. The next time someone buys "trophy players" and plays in europe, these fools will be wanking themselves stupid. The truth, the absolute truth, is that the Halls and Shepherd were victims of their own higher expectations, why else would idiots boo a team for only finishing 5th in the premiership, and the truth again is even then, idiots were starting to complain about how anybody else could have done better etc, because of the PR gaffes, the mock embarrassment about the "dogs", "cheap shirts", the comments about Stevenage etc, THIS is what the hatred is all about. People were so stupid they thought anybody would come in, eliminate the PR gaffes [didn't embarrass me in the slightest by the way] and thought the ambition would be automatic.

They have now been shown the ambition is NOT automatic.

Young lads I can understand, but people who witnessed the McKeag, Seymour etc era's, such ignorance is mind boggling. Quite simply, they have been shown to be idiotic and wrong, and the simple fact is that they won't bring themselves to admit it.

There is NO excuse for this football selling its best players behind the managers back for record fees and looking for cheap [much cheaper] 2nd rate replacements. THIS is what this club has became, this is what is going to happen, and YOU know it.

It would be really good if you actually took the effort to read other people's posts and try and make a relevant response for a change. And also try and sound less angry all the time.

so he took us down into the 2nd division, where the Halls and Shepherd picked us up from the floor of, and started selling our best players again ?

Nothing to do with the point - he meant new oweners as in the other clubs - classic phrase bot.

No acknowledgement of changed times as usual - do you really not realise the difference between 1994 and 2011?

Lost revenues? - chicken feed in the scheme of things - even if it was 50m a year which it isn't how high would that get you?

The Halls did not "raise money" - they used the expansion of the club from promotion with tv revenues as a platform to go public and then borrrowed, borrowed and borrowed again against the club.

How will that work now in 2011?

did you say, when we were playing in europe, during the "anyone but Fred" era, that the Halls and Shepherd needed to be replaced because in a few years time a few clubs would be taken over by rich benefactors and they would not be able to compete higher financially than the likes of Bolton and Blackburn, and we would be better off selling our best players and replacing them with cheaper 2nd rate replacements.

Yes or no ?

Interesting you talk about "chicken feed in the scheme of things", what would you call a fee for renting a warehouse ? And a couple of million quid or so in dividends [another basis of the hatred] - as you think 50m quid is "nowt"

How much do you think your man should be paying for the tacky advertising, would that pay the mortgage, assuming of course Dekka told us lies when he said he'd paid off the debts ?

Edited by LeazesMag

I can see it but i can also not see any feasible way a board as relatively poor as the previous one would have survived. Did you not read the list of personal wealth invested into Bolton, Stoke, Fulham etc? Its right across the board. Wigan's chairman had to invest his own money too. He is 10 to 15 times richer than the Hall and Shepherd family put together. Take it from an professional economist of 15 years, the bank would have been a bad, temporary and inadequate solution. Increasing commercial revenues by 10 to 15m is neither here nor there, it would have hardly paid for the accumulated debt.

With the amount of subsidised wealth in the premiership now (paying for the overall debt), its not hard to draw these conclusions. The model has changed, i thank the previous board for giving us the platform, i castigate the current lot for not taking advantage of that platform. The reason why they havent is because the investment required now is absurd and they are tight arses. Its not a one dimensional argument though, he has used personal wealth, just lower levels of it than at Bolton and Stoke. That personal wealth didnt exist for the previous board. Well it does now, after Ashley paid them 136m for the club they bought for 3m but even that is peanuts am afraid.

thats as may be, but the notion that "anybody but Fred" was bollocks, the constant harping on about "trophy signings" was bollocks, the point is that in their time they had the club competing where they ought to be. What you say is like saying Jackie Milburn wouldn't be as good as a modern centre forward because he played with a heavier ball and wore heavier boots. Its bollocks, you can only perform against your competitors. The next time someone buys "trophy players" and plays in europe, these fools will be wanking themselves stupid. The truth, the absolute truth, is that the Halls and Shepherd were victims of their own higher expectations, why else would idiots boo a team for only finishing 5th in the premiership, and the truth again is even then, idiots were starting to complain about how anybody else could have done better etc, because of the PR gaffes, the mock embarrassment about the "dogs", "cheap shirts", the comments about Stevenage etc, THIS is what the hatred is all about. People were so stupid they thought anybody would come in, eliminate the PR gaffes [didn't embarrass me in the slightest by the way] and thought the ambition would be automatic.

Young lads I can understand, but people who witnessed the McKeag, Seymour etc era's, such ignorance is mind boggling. Quite simply, they have been shown to be idiotic and wrong, and the simple fact is that they won't bring themselves to admit it.

There is NO excuse for this football selling its best players behind the managers back for record fees and looking for cheap [much cheaper] 2nd rate replacements. THIS is what this club has became, this is what is going to happen, and YOU know it.

It would be really good if you actually took the effort to read other people's posts and try and make a relevant response for a change. And also try and sound less angry all the time.

It would be really good if you actually took the effort to read my posts and try and make a relevant response for a change. And also try not to sound like a pompous dickhead all the time.

bump for NJS. As he is in selective response mode again.

Sorry if it wasnt clear, i meant e.g. the Coates family at Stoke who own Bet 365 etc, Davies at Bolton. They are super rich, the old board are not.

As i said, its a fairly uncontentious point to be fair.

Sorry if it wasnt clear, i meant e.g. the Coates family at Stoke who own Bet 365 etc, Davies at Bolton. They are super rich, the old board are not.

did YOU say "anyone but Fred" would do better ?

Or boo when we were 5th in the premiership ?

It would be really good if you actually took the effort to read my posts and try and make a relevant response for a change. And also try not to sound like a pompous dickhead all the time.

You sound like your constantly seething, and I've read your posts thousands of times before, including this one, which adds nothing new. But I'm genuinely interested in your response to Chez and NJS re: how could we go forward in a financial sense under the Halls and Shepherd? Imo you won't answer either because you don't comprehend the point (which would seem unlikely as it is obvious and clearly stated), or you simply can't. Which is it?

did YOU say "anyone but Fred" would do better ?

Or boo when we were 5th in the premiership ?

No i supprted Fred right till the end, as well you know.

I was there in 2004 and cheered them round the pitch too.

did you say, when we were playing in europe, during the "anyone but Fred" era, that the Halls and Shepherd needed to be replaced because in a few years time a few clubs would be taken over by rich benefactors and they would not be able to compete higher financially than the likes of Bolton and Blackburn, and we would be better off selling our best players and replacing them with cheaper 2nd rate replacements.

Yes or no ?

Doesn't matter.

Almost every club in the premier league can't survive let alone compete based on revenues alone. This is the fact in 2011. As Chez pointed out they couldn't afford to do it in 2007 and that's why they sold.

It's about the now not the then.

You sound like your constantly seething, and I've read your posts thousands of times before, including this one, which adds nothing new. But I'm genuinely interested in your response to Chez and NJS re: how could we go forward in a financial sense under the Halls and Shepherd? Imo you won't answer either because you don't comprehend the point (which would seem unlikely as it is obvious and clearly stated), or you simply can't. Which is it?

you sound like you're a constant dickhead. I've read your crap before, including this one, which adds nothing new.

I'm genuinely interested in why you think a club like NUFC should not be asserting itself to be higher than the likes of Blackburn and Bolton, rather than accepting we have to sell our best players, see 10th in the premiership as success, and replace our best players with free transfers and cheap 2nd rate hopeful replacements from the lower leagues ?

Especially when [if] you scorned regular european qualification and the purchase of top quality footballers in the past ?

bump for NJS. As he is in selective response mode again.

I replied to this - their methods won't work in 2011. Even if you increased reveunes by 50% it would be chicken feed comapred with the money spent, not just by Chelsea et al, but with that spent by Villa and Sunderland for no return.

As I said their primary method for "raising money" was debt.

Yes or no ?

Doesn't matter.

Almost every club in the premier league can't survive let alone compete based on revenues alone. This is the fact in 2011. As Chez pointed out they couldn't afford to do it in 2007 and that's why they sold.

no answer then ? You scorned regular european football, the signing of top players, and said anybody else would do better ? Did you ?

I'm genuinely interested in why you think a club like NUFC should not be asserting itself to be higher than the likes of Blackburn and Bolton, rather than accepting we have to sell our best players, see 10th in the premiership as success, and replace our best players with free transfers and cheap 2nd rate hopeful replacements from the lower leagues ?

Especially when [if] you scorned regular european qualification and the purchase of top quality footballers in the past ?

Howare you going to pay for it in 2011, given that there are no new revenue streams at the level required.

Practicalities.

Anyway.

Mad Jock may come back and tell us why he thinks finishing in the top 10 once in 4 years is better than 4 times out of 6 :rolleyes:

Or how the Halls and Shepherd are responsible for Mike Ashley setting up new revenues and finding he can't meet the repayments on the stadium [as he infers]

:angry:

Yes or no ?

Doesn't matter.

no answer then ? You scorned regular european football, the signing of top players, and said anybody else would do better ? Did you ?

No as I've said many times I enjoyed it as much as you (well more because I went to all the Eurpoean games give or take) - the thing is LM nobody but you thinks that anyone ever wanted rid of the Halls while they were in because we were on that rollercoaster - its only in hindsight we realise it was built on sand.

you sound like you're a constant dickhead. I've read your crap before, including this one, which adds nothing new.

Not sure I see the need for the abuse like, but it's par for the course with you lately. You won't answer the points being put to you on this page then. What a surprise.

I think it's LM's suggestion that there's nothing stopping Ashley (without using his personal wealth) from running the club the same way as previously and achieviing any kind of similar success in 2011 that is the most flabbergasting.

I'm not sure what the maximum profit figure ever achieved was but I'm pretty sure whatever it was repeated over even 5 years wouldn't fund the squad improvement necessary.

Our highest ever profit was in 2003 of £4.3 Million

Since 1998 (can't find further back) we've made profit in aggregate of £12.7 Million, in the same time the total losses aggregate at £143.2 Million.

Not sure I see the need for the abuse like, but it's par for the course with you lately. You won't answer the points being put to you on this page then. What a surprise.

Not sure I see the need for abuse like, but it's par for the course with you lately. You won't answer the points being put to you on this page then. What a surprise. is it, see the opening post of this thread for starters. Congratulations on the most blind and ironic post since that absurd comment you made ages ago about "left wing publications, right wing rags but I'm ie you, are pretty much in the middle ground of the political spectrum" . You're fucking class sometimes Renton, class man. :rolleyes::angry:

Edited by LeazesMag

Yes or no ?

Doesn't matter.

No as I've said many times I enjoyed it as much as you (well more because I went to all the Eurpoean games give or take) - the thing is LM nobody but you thinks that anyone ever wanted rid of the Halls while they were in because we were on that rollercoaster - its only in hindsight we realise it was built on sand.

it isn't hindsight at all. Nobody when they said "anybody but Fred" said it was because the club was built on sand/a few rich owners would come along and force us to compete at the levels of Bolton and Blackburn. The TRUTH, is that they thought "anybody but Fred" would keep the club in europe, do better in the league, cut out the PR gaffes, stop buying trophy players and "run the club like a business", stop renting a warehouse etc etc. They even said that Ashley was a better owner because he bought pints for people in Tiger Tiger. Is this really the intellect of some NUFC supporters, especially ones who think they are the roots of all knowledge of the club ? Its hilarious man, its so stupid, its hilarious.

This is the truth and you know it and so does everybody else who "wanted Fred out for anybody" .

Isn't it ?

They took ambition for granted, because they are clueless arseholes. However, some people [not just me, but not many] told them that they didn't realise we had a good board and replacing with someone who would do better would be very difficult, because the ambition WAS NOT AUTOMATIC.

So, now. They have an owner who has stopped buying trophy players, doesn't embarrass them [now there's a laugh], stays out of the limelight, doesn't rent warehouses, doesn't call the girls "dogs", runs the club "like a business". So I hope you are happy, in fact those who DID want it and can't bring themselves to admit it, should basically shut the fuck up and be happy with it as they have got what they wanted.

Edited by LeazesMag