NUFC to listen to Jonas offers

Barney

I like Jonas but he wouldnt be THAT much of a loss and if we could get 5mil+ for him then i'd be happy. Kinda suggests that we are still in for N'Zogbia or Barnetta though doesnt it?

I'd want to keep him here and rotate him from the bench but i doubt he'd be happy with that. Plus 50k a week to sit on the bench kinda goes against what the clubs trying to do at the moment.

Worry is....Jose goes, Jonas goes then Coloccini is most definitely going to follow. Dont get me wrong like 8mil+5mil+7mil for the three amingos is a good price but its the fact that it is massively going to unsettle the squad that worries me.

Massive MASSIVE overhaul this summer.

Not another one. :icon_lol:

We shouldn't sell Jonas this season. Even if we buy a better winger, we'll still need competition and backup, and Jonas has also shown the ability to make a difference off the bench. If we're going to progress, we're going to need to build a squad (and I'm struggling to think of someone who's better than him who we could reasonably get...N'Zogbia, I suppose, but with all the baggage (and 10m fee, and mega wages) that would come with him.)

Not another one. :icon_lol:

We shouldn't sell Jonas this season. Even if we buy a better winger, we'll still need competition and backup, and Jonas has also shown the ability to make a difference off the bench. If we're going to progress, we're going to need to build a squad (and I'm struggling to think of someone who's better than him who we could reasonably get...N'Zogbia, I suppose, but with all the baggage (and 10m fee, and mega wages) that would come with him.)

You only need 11 players man.

i'm all for back a manager to build his own team in his own style. it's good news we're getting players in this early. but why completely dismantle a side that has over achieved the past two seasons? this bunh of players (at least in the first team) is a decent lot. plus they play for each other. why tear it apart altogether? makes no sense

i'm all for back a manager to build his own team in his own style. it's good news we're getting players in this early. but why completely dismantle a side that has over achieved the past two seasons? this bunh of players (at least in the first team) is a decent lot. plus they play for each other. why tear it apart altogether? makes no sense

I think that's what worries me most like. Team spirit took us a hell of a long way in those two years.

I think that's what worries me most like. Team spirit took us a hell of a long way in those two years.

Thats it like but it seems that whilst FMA is looking to streamline the wage bill even further its giving AP the chance to totally make this his own team.

Thats it like but it seems that whilst FMA is looking to streamline the wage bill even further its giving AP the chance to totally make this his own team.

It doesn't look like that to me. I don't think Pardew has much say. The fact he says he wants to hang onto players prior to their leaving would back that up. I find that almost equally worrying tbh. I.e. if it's not him calling the shots, can you trust the people who are? Even if it's Graham Carr, who seems like a canny scout, what the fuck has he ever done in regards to managing top flight sides? That's probably ascribing too much influence to Carr anyway like.

it did. and the football we played for the most part has been highly effective considering our lack of forward options. i do think that getting rid of jonas is a backwards step unless he is replaced by a player of better quality and who is equally industrious.... a vital point as not many cover the same amount of ground as him.

most decent clubs have what would be a spine of quality players, we have (IMO) possibly slipped a couple of discs if jonas, barton and enrique are replaced.

Well, if we are properly paid I dont mind really. Mind sound harsh but both barton and jonas shortcomings make them squad players in my opinion, I dont really rate any of them. Replace them with people who can enter the XI straight away, and then make a few talent signings to have on the bench.

behind who exactly? both played as many games as possible last season under both managers. Jonas, as for last season, was basically our only proven ball carrier, he kept possession and ran with it unlike anyone else, one of our few pacy players.

as for Barton, our player of the season, he was a revelation last season, it was possibly his careers best, frankly whenever we didn't have those two we looked a shadow of the team that turned in some excellent performances.

our squad was paper thin last season, we had a solid first 11 and that was it, signing a few players does not mean we should be shipping that same 11 out of the door or we'll just be in the same predicament but with players who are totally unproven and unaccustomed to the premier league

Behind genuine quality which we will hopefully sign this summer.

Jonas isn`t a key player for us due to his qualities. He is a key player due to lack of options.

There`s a difference.

so no one then. you can't base anything on "hopeful signings" we've got the squad we've got there isnt some messi-alike player waiting in the wings, get real, we finished 12th this season with a ridiculously small squad we need to build up the quality of the squad, not go for one out one in.

Pardew has fuck all say it seems to me. Every time he says he is trying to hang on to players, you get up the next day and we've told them. Carroll first. Now watch out for Enrique and Colo.

Don't believe this tbh. Pardew's not an idiot - he knows who our best players are and that we can't have a complete squad overhaul. As people have said, the importance of Jonas can't be underestimated. As Newcastle fans, we know how good it is to have a player who stays fit! Gutierrez is also great at running with the ball and winning free kicks and corners - a key part of our tactics last season. Unless Pardew reckons he's going to bring in enough new midfielders to revamp the middle of our team that will consistently play for the team and are good enough to replace Jonas, it would be a dreadful decision to sell Jonas.

Edited by rogerbarton