Michael Owen

Guest CrimsonFault

I was talking to a coupleof die-hard scousers who were up for the mackem game last month who reckoned (and I'm just taking this as opinion not fact) that Owen will never return to Liverpool while Benitez is in charge. He just doesn't want him, and these lads said that the majority like Benitez so much they would acdept his opnion rather that pine for Owen to return.

He's has the ability to score something from nothing, which is a massive asset in a team that seems void of any real creativity.

I reckon he will stay for at least one more season to see if things can progress.

One major asset he brings, apart from his goals of course, is the attraction for other players to play alongside him; surely a lot of players would like to come to Newcastle because of him.

Guest CrimsonFault
I reckon he will stay for at least one more season to see if things can progress.

One major asset he brings, apart from his goals of course, is the attraction for other players to play alongside him; surely a lot of players would like to come to Newcastle because of him.

69448[/snapback]

And also, players like Am(a)dy Faye might realise that this club is growing with players like Owen in the squad - so this means there will be no room for him.

So how long do you reckon Owen will stay? Seeing as the best we can realistically achieve this season with Souness in charge is qualification for the UEFA Cup, I think it all comes down to whether the Big 4 are interested in the summer.

69436[/snapback]

Considering we're only 6 points off a Champions League place with 63 still up fro grabs, I think that statement is a tiny bit premature tbh.

I don't personally think we will qualify for the CL this season but I don't think it's realistic yet to say that we won't.

So how long do you reckon Owen will stay? Seeing as the best we can realistically achieve this season with Souness in charge is qualification for the UEFA Cup, I think it all comes down to whether the Big 4 are interested in the summer.

69436[/snapback]

Considering we're only 6 points off a Champions League place with 63 still up fro grabs, I think that statement is a tiny bit premature tbh.

I don't personally think we will qualify for the CL this season but I don't think it's realistic yet to say that we won't.

69509[/snapback]

I agree, I think I chose the wrong words. It's definitely realistic from a mathematical or statistical point of view - but then you could say the same about every team in the top half of the table. I just can't see us winning games (let alone playing well) on a consistent basis under Souness, which is what we have to do to finish 4th. It's like some of the players said, we need to go on a run the same way Liverpool did.

69436[/snapback]

69509[/snapback]

I agree, I think I chose the wrong words. It's definitely realistic from a mathematical or statistical point of view - but then you could say the same about every team in the top half of the table. I just can't see us winning games (let alone playing well) on a consistent basis under Souness, which is what we have to do to finish 4th. It's like some of the players said, we need to go on a run the same way Liverpool did.

69617[/snapback]

I'm putting my optimistic hat on here, but I think with the exception of Liverpool (A), Tottenham (A) & Man City (A), we should be looking to get maximum points on all games up until we go to Old Trafford on 11th March, given current form (I don't think we will get maximum points in these games before someone starts picking away at my predicitions thread, but I think the following games should all be targeted for 3 points):

Charlton (H)

Middlesbrough (H)

Fulham (A)

Blackburn (H)

Portsmouth (H)

Aston Villa (A)

Everton (H)

Bolton (H)

that's a potential 24 points up for grabs which would stick us on 49 with another 27 left to play for.

Course, if we fuck up the next part of the season, we can kiss goodbye to Europe...

I'm putting my optimistic hat on here, but I think with the exception of Liverpool (A), Tottenham (A) & Man City (A), we should be looking to get maximum points on all games up until we go to Old Trafford on 11th March, given current form (I don't think we will get maximum points in these games before someone starts picking away at my predicitions thread, but I think the following games should all be targeted for 3 points):

Charlton (H)

Middlesbrough (H)

Fulham (A)

Blackburn (H)

Portsmouth (H)

Aston Villa (A)

Everton (H)

Bolton (H)

that's a potential 24 points up for grabs which would stick us on 49 with another 27 left to play for.

Course, if we fuck up the next part of the season, we can kiss goodbye to Europe...

69620[/snapback]

That was what I thought when we played the likes of West Ham, Pompey, Wigan, Villa, Fulham before. From 15 possible points we got 3... ;)

Arsenal: My first thought was that we can rule Arsenal out because they can't afford him - but that could change when Henry leaves, which I think will happen in the summer. I doubt even Wenger would try to replace a player like Henry on the cheap/using youngsters and he's admitted to being a fan of Owen.

Chelsea: They could of course easily come up with the cash, but Mourinho doesn't seem to be interested and he's not one to change his mind.

Man Utd: No big danger here. They've got some very good strikers and won't be able to spend £15m on a new one.

Liverpool: Still the key...if they keep doing well in the League and in the CL, they will be able to afford him and I don't think Benitez would say no again. If Owen knows of any Liverpool interest, he will be in Souness' and Shepherd's offices and there's not much you can do then. His obvious desire to return to them would drive down the price as well, they wouldn't have to pay as much as we did in the summer. I was more optimistic of our chances of keeping him when Liverpool were doing relatively badly at the start of the season, but they're obviously in great form. If they keep doing this well, it's bad news for us. Basically our only hope is for Morientes, Cissé and The Freak to turn into goalscoring machines...

69436[/snapback]

If he does go, he will have to go for an utterly massive fee.

69630[/snapback]

Player power though Jimbo: If he doesn't want to stay we can't keep him; If he sulks we might have to take a price below his true market value.

Having said that 1) I don't think it will come to that, and 2) He doesn't seem that sort of person.

69630[/snapback]

Player power though Jimbo: If he doesn't want to stay we can't keep him; If he sulks we might have to take a price below his true market value.

Having said that 1) I don't think it will come to that, and 2) He doesn't seem that sort of person.

69638[/snapback]

Knowing Shepherd, I doubt we'd sell him for less than £17m ;)

Anyone else notice that it was a perfect hattrick? Left foot, head (well shoulder) and then right foot.

69346[/snapback]

terrible work rate mind - I'd rather have Ameobi

Arsenal: My first thought was that we can rule Arsenal out because they can't afford him - but that could change when Henry leaves, which I think will happen in the summer. I doubt even Wenger would try to replace a player like Henry on the cheap/using youngsters and he's admitted to being a fan of Owen.

Chelsea: They could of course easily come up with the cash, but Mourinho doesn't seem to be interested and he's not one to change his mind.

Man Utd: No big danger here. They've got some very good strikers and won't be able to spend £15m on a new one.

Liverpool: Still the key...if they keep doing well in the League and in the CL, they will be able to afford him and I don't think Benitez would say no again. If Owen knows of any Liverpool interest, he will be in Souness' and Shepherd's offices and there's not much you can do then. His obvious desire to return to them would drive down the price as well, they wouldn't have to pay as much as we did in the summer. I was more optimistic of our chances of keeping him when Liverpool were doing relatively badly at the start of the season, but they're obviously in great form. If they keep doing this well, it's bad news for us. Basically our only hope is for Morientes, Cissé and The Freak to turn into goalscoring machines...

69436[/snapback]

Disagree, Liverpool were in for him, but he chose Newcastle. Liverpool were not pre pared to pay more tan they sold him for, which tbh was a very good deal for Madrid. was always worth more than £8million and Nunez. Benitez was never too keen really, matter of principle i feel. we aint goin to pay more than 16million for him, cos I expect you will want profit for him.

He is under contract so don't see how he can drive the price down, as they will get money for him, its not like they have to sell before he goes on a free, like liverpool did

he's 25, he's a world class player in form - hell, he can even score for US!!!

I'd have thought £ 25 million would be a starting price personally

69844[/snapback]

Exactly, he's scoring goals in a team that create very little. I appreciate more now just how good a striker he is, a canny good scoring record in if we're being fair an average team.

and he's got another 6-8 years left as well................

69890[/snapback]

He's got longer than that I reckon, he's only 25. Got another 10 years in him probably. And if he keeps scoring 20 a season which he almost certainly will then that'd put him on 300-400 career goals at the end of it.

I cant see him leaving you lot for a while yet because

a) I cant see Rafa wanting the hassle of Owen for a 3rd succesive year and

;) Newcastle will qualify for Europe I think even with Suness in charge