Boum's double agony

Scottish Mag

Newcastle defender Jean-Alain Boumsong is playing through the pain of a double personal heartache, it was revealed last night. The French international has been making regular mercy visits across the Channel to visit his "seriously ill" baby boy and wife.

United boss Graeme Souness shed light on the drama - and paid tribute to Boumsong's professionalism in dealing with it.

But Souness admitted his £8.5 million centre-back - in the firing line this season after some shaky peformances - has ben bearing a "massive burden". Two-year-old Cameron Boumsong has been seriously ill, while his mother is recovering in France from what is thought to have been a life-saving operation.

"Just recently, Jean-Alain has had a great deal to put up with," said Souness. "His little lad has had several operations. His wife has been seriously ill. "He has had to go back to France quite a lot because of what has happened. His wife has gone back to be with her family and Boum has gone over to see her.

"It is not for me to say what has been the problems with them. That would be wrong of me. "But his boy was also seriously ill." Souness added: "You don't know how much it affects him. It would affect anyone but he has got on with his game.

"It has been a massive burden for him, but he is a man and he has dealt with it." And the Magpies manager insisted: "Jean-Alain has been in our football nearly a year and I'm very happy with him, but he is still new and getting used to our football.

"He is the first one to hold his hand up if he makes a mistake. He plays when he is not 100 per cent fit. "He can play - and I expect him to flourish next summer in the World Cup."

Boumsong's son spent a month in hospital following his birth in September 2003, but the nature of his more recent condition is not known.

I feel a bit guilty now. That's enough to put anyone off their job.

69245[/snapback]

It is, and anyone who says otherwise hasn't got a clue. Not even the Ronaldinhos of this world would play like they do with personal tragedies like that going on. The fact that he probably doesn't see his ill wife and child for weeks must make it even worse. Hopefully they'll get better soon.

Speaking of Ronaldinho, there was a nice quote from him on BBC Online:

"Henry is a beautiful player and and has got complete technique.

I adore watching him. I respect him very much as a man and as a footballer. He reminds me of myself."

How modest :lol:

Edited by Bombadil

I feel for him, its obviously been tough going for him. It also must be hard for him if his wife and child have moved back to France.

Forgive me for saying this, but from a purely football point of view we are not going to get the best out of him whilst this situation is carrying on. Cut-price/Loan deal to a French club possibly?

I personally like the bloke. I don't think he's one of the better CH's in the EPL, but he's not as bad as people make out. I remember seeing an interview with him where he said he was most happy when reading a book and listening to classical music.

Must be hard for him, when your wife and kid are seriously ill and you're 100's of miles away. Fair play to him, there are a lot of footballers who'd say I need time off. I don't care how much he's getting paid, he's human.

I think he's struggled / is struggling to come to terms with the more physical aspects of the Premier League. That said, what is going on in his personal life certainly won't be helping and I hope there is a happy resolution soon.

Anyone else think he shouldn't even be playing? why has this been released now?

I'm a bit in doubt whether this would even have been made public if he wasnt having problems with his form...........

Edited by Sima

I don't know why this was made public so late on, as his form has been bad for ages now. I've actually had doubts this is the exact truth too - a few weeks ago, reports were that he had an "ill friend", but now it seems a lot more serious as it's his wife and child. He shouldn't be playing, but Souness likes him a lot and sees him as a strong leader, with a lack of other options in defence.

Jean-Alain, my thoughts are with you and your family.