Torchwood

Jan

Freddie was in the closet for a bit wasn't he? Think he had a few girlfriends.

I might be wrong like but not in the mid-80s he wasn't. My dad must've worn out his copy of Queen: The Works btw. Bryan May is a canny guitarist like.

There's a decent debate about whether high-profile figures like Freddie Mercury having girlfriends and denying being HIV-positive actually set back the gay movement at a time when it needed the likes of him and Elton John as strong figureheads, considering the bad shit that was happening in the 80s AIDS-wise and all. Coming out would have meant tabloid vilification, of course, but that's what happened to Freddie in the end anyway.

Doctor: Suffer from any illness?

Fletch: Bad feet.

Doctor: (annoyed) Suffer from any illness?

Fletch: (insistantly) Bad feet!

Doctor: Paid a recent visit to a doctor or hospital?

Fletch: Only with my bad feet.

Doctor: Are you now or have you at any time been a practicing homosexual?

Fletch: What, with these feet?

Ronnie Barker, RIP.

:lol: Genius that programme.

There's a decent debate about whether high-profile figures like Freddie Mercury having girlfriends and denying being HIV-positive actually set back the gay movement at a time when it needed the likes of him and Elton John as strong figureheads, considering the bad shit that was happening in the 80s AIDS-wise and all. Coming out would have meant tabloid vilification, of course, but that's what happened to Freddie in the end anyway.

They should come out imo (high-profile figures). I don't think anyone should hide their sexuality if they can avoid it. More people being open about it will either make it less of an issue, or bring the public discussion to a head and thereby create an oppurtunity for attitudes to change.

They should come out imo (high-profile figures). I don't think anyone should hide their sexuality if they can avoid it. More people being open about it will either make it less of an issue, or bring the public discussion to a head and thereby create an oppurtunity for attitudes to change.

Dead right. There's no excuse these days. I guess mercury believed it would harm his career, my impression was that he refused to discuss his sexuality rather than denying it.

Fair enough if you live in Uganda. I couldn't help but laugh, I know I shouldn't, but I saw a programme about homosexuals in Uganda. There was this lad trying to maintain that he was straight, for obvious reasons, but there was just absolutely no way he was convincing anyone. He made John Barrowman look like Genghis Khan. :lol: Poor sod.

The thing to remember about Freddie is that he came from quite a religious family in a different culture, I think his parents were Zoroastrians, I may be mistaken. I can understand him struggling with coming out, but you should do it if you can muster up the self-respect to do so.

Fair enough if you live in Uganda. I couldn't help but laugh, I know I shouldn't, but I saw a programme about homosexuals in Uganda. There was this lad trying to maintain that he was straight, for obvious reasons, but there was just absolutely no way he was convincing anyone. He made John Barrowman look like Genghis Khan. :lol: Poor sod.

The thing to remember about Freddie is that he came from quite a religious family in a different culture, I think his parents were Zoroastrians, I may be mistaken. I can understand him struggling with coming out, but you should do it if you can muster up the self-respect to do so.

Wasn't he born in India?

Freddie was in the closet for a bit wasn't he? Think he had a few girlfriends.

I might be wrong like but not in the mid-80s he wasn't. My dad must've worn out his copy of Queen: The Works btw. Bryan May is a canny guitarist like.

Brian May is an excellent guitarist, perhaps underrated. The harmony shit they came up with on the records with several guitar lines in unison was awesome. I read an interview where he said he doesn't like to improvise, but the runs he comes up with are fantastic. I've not listened to many of their albums through, mainly listened to the greatest hits with a few albums here and there. I've heard it said that the greatest hits is better than any of their albums, because they never came up with an album-full of quality material at once. Is there anything to that do you know? Might go back and listen through a few for the guitar bits.

Pretty sure you're right about his parents. I agree he should have come out too. He was an exotic character anyway, an Indian from Zanzibar, although helloed that down too. I've heard people vehemently deny he was foreign, amusingly.