The 'Joe Paterno Scandal' in the US.

Dolly Potter MD

The most disgusting set of actions (or lack-of in this case) put into a play, by a coach and most influential figure at a club/sport programme. College sports' governing body can be heavy handed, and justafiably so in some cases, and maybe the public hanging of a reverred sporting figure isn't the end of this one.

As a story itself, on the basis that it is a massive shake-up for a club, and not for the better, it's right up there with Heysel.

Edited by Year Zero

Feel a bit sorry for Paterno himself, undoubtably should have contacted the police about the situation but it's always one of those things where you don't know what to do... Sandusky on the other hand is an absolute disgusting piece of shit... only retired from that childrens hospital thing he ran last year if I remember correctly too :|. Thing I don't get, he was being looked at like 10 years ago for child abuse, retired, you'd think he'd fucking sit back and enjoy retirement, not sodomise young boys in a changing room :lol:.

Don't think it'll mean that much for Penn State though tbh, not as if they're gonna get chucked out the Big 10 or anything is it, or has anything new been brought into play? Don't really think it's up there with Heysel as it stands, unless new things come into play. the NCAA is disgustingly corrupt, that's for sure, probably the most corrupt sporting organisation, up there with FIFA, it's a close call. It'd be absolutely brilliant if this was the start of a chain of events that sorted the entire thing out once and for all. Interesting to see how the Nittany Lions finish off the season, currently unbeaten in Big 10 play, could go on to win the Championship (which will put them in the Rose Bowl). Somehow I can't imagine them being allowed to play in the Rose Bowl like.

Penn state had no real choice imo, Paterno and the others had an eye witness to a bloke diddling a ten year old in the shower and didn't go to the authorities. Paterno was in his 70's at the time he surely knew better, it's actually unbelievable that when the higher ranks 'punished' Sandusky by doing nothing more than banning him from bringing children to Penn State's facilities which is basically saying 'just don't be a nonce here eh' not one of the guys in the know about this (the 2 higher up's, Paterno and Mcqueeran or however you spell it) thought I'm going to the police about this, it'd be the 2nd thing I did after I punched Sanduskys lights out. I'm canny sure I've heard this vile fuck has touched a few more lads up in the 8 years it's took to bring it all to court, if true that's on the conscious of the guy's who didn't act. Imagine if he'd killed someone they'd all be accomplices to murder.

I do feel for Penn State fan's though it's a terrible way for their Sir Bobby Robson figure to have his reign ended and the Penn State board will be a joke unless they fire all those that didn't act (including the bloke that witnessed it).

Agree with the fans thing Barton, college hall of famer you all adore and he goes out like this, over 400 wins in college football (12 games a season not including Bowls!) is bloody amazing, and even though I hate Penn State, the guys been a legend for the sport, massive shame it had to happen like this.

The daft thing is, the bloke who actually caught him doing it and then left the room as if it never happened has been given promotion

This is the shocking thing, the bloke is 6' 5" and built like a barn door in all so it's hardly like he was intimidated by a naked 60 year old all he did was turn and leave the facility then ring his dad afterwards. He's not going to be at their game on saturday 'for his safety' he should have been gone before Paterno tbh.

Feel a bit sorry for Paterno himself, undoubtably should have contacted the police about the situation but it's always one of those things where you don't know what to do... Sandusky on the other hand is an absolute disgusting piece of shit... only retired from that childrens hospital thing he ran last year if I remember correctly too :|. Thing I don't get, he was being looked at like 10 years ago for child abuse, retired, you'd think he'd fucking sit back and enjoy retirement, not sodomise young boys in a changing room :lol:.

Don't think it'll mean that much for Penn State though tbh, not as if they're gonna get chucked out the Big 10 or anything is it, or has anything new been brought into play? Don't really think it's up there with Heysel as it stands, unless new things come into play. the NCAA is disgustingly corrupt, that's for sure, probably the most corrupt sporting organisation, up there with FIFA, it's a close call. It'd be absolutely brilliant if this was the start of a chain of events that sorted the entire thing out once and for all. Interesting to see how the Nittany Lions finish off the season, currently unbeaten in Big 10 play, could go on to win the Championship (which will put them in the Rose Bowl). Somehow I can't imagine them being allowed to play in the Rose Bowl like.

Although the current scandal doesn't fall under 'athletics infractions", there's a wide call for the rarely used death penalty to be thrown at the progamme.

Aye they hammered him last night :lol: "I took all these children away from their homes without fully knowing where they were going, what am I a Penn State recruiter".

He was interviewed this week in all said he wasn't a nonce but he "probably shouldn't have showered with boys" and that he touched their legs etc but isn't sexually attracted by them, they've also released info saying his houses back garden overlooks a elementary school playground and he used to sit and watch them every day. Sounded like a full on nonce in all heavy breathing the lot, lock him up.

• 2 months later...

Paterno died yesterday, without an apology from the University which he did so much for and betrayed him. It came out that Paterno was the only one in the entire scandal who went to the ones in charge, and he was sacked 3 months before dying. RIP to the winningest (cringe) coach in NCAA history.

When did he go to those in charge like? If it was back when he first heard of the accusation, then I've got a tiny bit of time for him, although when those in charge did nothing about it he had a duty to the kids to go to the coppers. So either way the bloke deserves no apology. Kids were getting fiddled with on his watch, he knew about it, and it was allowed to continue. Disgrace.

Exactly Gemmill.

It was 9 years between McQueary going to Paterno to say what he'd seen and any arrest. What did either think the bosses had done about it?

McQueary is worse, primarily for witnessing a 10 uear old lad being anally raped and not intervening, but furthermore for thinking a word with coach is all that's required. Further action wasn't a legal obligation, but howay.

This is how the catholic church has the problems it does. Bishops go to cardinals about their priests rather than to the police. There should be no excuse, and I don't see how ANYONE with a conscience can sleep for 9 years knowing there's a child rapist in their organisation, let alone half a dozen people in the same organisation.

Edited by Happy Face

Paterno died yesterday, without an apology from the University which he did so much for and betrayed him. It came out that Paterno was the only one in the entire scandal who went to the ones in charge, and he was sacked 3 months before dying. RIP to the winningest (cringe) coach in NCAA history.

He basically allowed it to happen whilst making sure he covered his own back. What a guy :lol:

Paterno went to the campus police and had a word. The only person in the know who did what he should have. But those above Paterno (all in the know thanks to him) used him as a scapegoat to cover their own backs. Paterno was known as a brilliant coach because not only was he good as a football coach he helped 'turn boys into men'. The sadness from tweets from his former players saying they love him etc etc. Sanduskys a cunt, as is Mcqueery and those around who didnt do ANYTHING. As if a fucking 70 year old man should be fucking about doing everything, when he did what he should have done in the first place.

If I new kids were being raped by one of my oldest friends at the metrocentre i wouldn't report it to Paul Blart and be happy that was the end of it.

The idea that anyone who does is blameless is shameful.

Not blameless, he definitely could have done more. But he did more than anyone else. What about his superiors who knew? Paterno was made the scapegoat when he did more than his superiors. Blaming it all on a frail 70 year old man while they knew all along and didnt give a shit is heartless. Hope the Nittany Lions crash and burn and more higher figures become implicated. Also hope that Sandusky never sees the light of day again.