Llambias - "we will need replacements in the summer"

Monroe Transfer

There seems to be a weird psychological thing where some people will instantly discard or discredit 'good' transfer rumours (more often than not rightly so mind) but will hold up Tiote/Coloccini rumours as some sort of solid proof that they're away.

Not aimed at spongebob btw, he's my favourite sea dwelling poster.

you prefer him to saltwater then? fair enough

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liverpool and Spurs compete at wildly different financial levels btw, it's a footballing nonsense to equate the two. We've lost players to Liverpool, in the last year-who in the last year have competed at the financial levels of Man City.

we competed with Liverpool and were ahead of Spurs when Mike Ashley bought the club chum.

Do you deal in facts, or are you still just babbling on like a rock ape.

I'm talking about now though as it's pointless discussing what Liverpool and Spurs were doing then. Liverpool are spending vast fortunes now. They competed with Man C in spending last year, but you've clearly stated you don't advocate matching Man C for spending.

Spurs is a fantastic set up for a club of their means. If we replicated many aspects of their approach I'm sure we could kick on again. Spurs aren't on a par with Liverpool though and we wouldn't be either if we did replicate their system so what you're saying still doesnt make sense on that level. You're confusing results and spending and picking and choosing the bits of the argument to suit.

It goes back to what I've said before though Leazes, you can condense your post into just saying: spend as much as the top spenders. It's a perfectly valid statement of desire, but it's not a financial reality.

At the end of the day though, we are selling our best players, without the managers agreement on occasions if not most or all of the time, and not giving him the monies received which allows him to build on his current good footballers with more and "go higher".

People can say what they like about prudency etc, but if you seriously want to reach for the top places you hit a point where you have to play the transfer game the way that they do.

If Mike Ashley had any intention of doing that, we would have seen it by now. His ambitions and aims are crystal clear.

That's basically just another way of saying spend the same as Man C and Man U etc etc though, which elsewhere you say you don't advocate. if you see my point.

This is all I mean really Leazes with all due respect - what you put forward is the dream when everyone else is trying to get to grips with the current financial reality. That's not just in terms of looking inwards at the ownership of NUFC but outwards at the profiles of our rivals. Now. Today.

I've said a million times that I don't expect the owner - and the last ones - to compete financially with ManU [now joined by Man City and Chelsea], but if you allow yourself to be convinced that the likes of Spurs and Liverpool are beyond us, and also accept selling our best players to clubs like Villa, Wigan, West Ham, QPR and the money to disappear down a big black hole, then more fool you.

This is reality, because it is what is happening.

We should be putting a stop to these sort of ambitions and expectations. Like yesterday.

And yet, over the years we have been more likely to sell a player to Liverpool or Spurs than buy one from them. Until we match their ambition, we'll always be viewed as behind them.

that is simply FAR too obvious by those gullible enough to think a decent start to the season, in a run of easier fixtures, means everything is just greeeeaat at the football club

Pardew told the Sunday Sun that he might sell a player if a club plays way over the odds (as we all know).

So the Mail made up a story linking Tiote with a move away because that's very cheap and easy journalism.

Seriously - why on earth do people pay any attention to these fucking 'Sportsmail Reporter' articles? I don't care if I'm sounding condescending here. They are of absolutely no worth or journalistic integrity whatsoever. They're made-up. Stop reading them.

who does Louise Taylor write for again ?

We basically need Liverpool to pipe down a bit on the transfer front-a poor return for them this year under chequebook Dalglish will give the external backers cold feet about repeating the huge injections they've underwritten thus far. Spurs aren't going to throw daft money at us for our players so that's not a major issue. Man U, Man C and Chelsea can all comfortably knock on the door and offer more so that remains a fact of life, but they haven't yet so it's unknown how well they rate any of our players. Our efforts have to be i) ambitious to the extent that we're prepared to pay decent money for talent to fit a system of play and resist all but the top buying clubs to retain those players once theyre through the doors, and ii) pragmatic enough to have the scouting constantly focussed on the market where we know theres a danger we may lose a player. The latter part of that jigsaw also includes busting a gut to keep all of your players sweet and happy to be at the club if at all possible because there is a role for that and its something we've largely neglected in the past, assuming simply that massive wages alone should be enough to earn you loyality and commitment.

We've been too reactive and not pro-active enough for me in some areas and theres been no excuse for that (striker), because it's a system that has practically no margin for error in it. cf where you're prepared to spend money on a succession of players til you get the right one. Where we have actually bought though in the last couple of seasons, it has been encouraging.

I think it's pretty obvious where the strengths and weaknesses (meaning previous, current and future) lie, given the system we've adopted. Nobody's under any illusion that Ashley's whim remains the biggest potential single future pitfall either.

I wouldn't call 33 million net a huge injection of cash. KD has sold 14 players bringing in 78 million and lowering the wage bill at the same time. John Henry and Werner are far from having cold feet judging by their comments.

mancmag doesn't deal in facts, just his own "opinions" regardless unfortunately

I don't see one paper being any better than another on transfer rumours. But it keeps you in the clique on here if you continually hammer the Mail.

:spit:

Yes, the only reason I constantly hate on the Mail is because I want to be in the TT clique. No other reason. If it makes you feel better Sniffer, I class the Mail's football stories in the same class as high brow papers like the Daily Star.

Pardew told the Sunday Sun that he might sell a player if a club plays way over the odds (as we all know).

So the Mail made up a story linking Tiote with a move away because that's very cheap and easy journalism.

Seriously - why on earth do people pay any attention to these fucking 'Sportsmail Reporter' articles? I don't care if I'm sounding condescending here. They are of absolutely no worth or journalistic integrity whatsoever. They're made-up. Stop reading them.

Do you have a point here?

I don't see one paper being any better than another on transfer rumours. But it keeps you in the clique on here if you continually hammer the Mail.

:spit:

Yes, the only reason I constantly hate on the Mail is because I want to be in the TT clique. No other reason. If it makes you feel better Sniffer, I class the Mail's football stories in the same class as high brow papers like the Daily Star.

and Louise Taylor is what exactly ?

Do you have a point here?

oh dear.