Football Clubs & Debt

wykikitoon

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And in answer to your question, I believe that most of the debt owed is not to banks or financial institutions, for a lot of clubs the debt will be owed to their owner, as ours is.

Arsenal still owe a fair bit to banks on their stadium mortgage and the Glazers still have a large outstanding debt to investors relating to the purchase of the club but I don't think that there are too many other big examples in the PL.

It is, but that doesnt quite answer the question. Any debt for any business has to be secure if the money is from a bank. If you have an owner that is bank rolling you, then that isn not the case. If like most clubs you rely on banks then they will only lend so far as makes commercial sense to themselves. It may be that directors give some personal guarantee for smaller clubs or that a valuation of company assets is set against a loan. I dont imagine this could include players so I suppose this could only include property etc and perhaps a bank may agree a loan against future income, though thats risky.

All debt needs to be serviced and a bank will not simply write money off as the business is making a loss.

It is, but that doesnt quite answer the question. Any debt for any business has to be secure if the money is from a bank. If you have an owner that is bank rolling you, then that isn not the case. If like most clubs you rely on banks then they will only lend so far as makes commercial sense to themselves. It may be that directors give some personal guarantee for smaller clubs or that a valuation of company assets is set against a loan. I dont imagine this could include players so I suppose this could only include property etc and perhaps a bank may agree a loan against future income, though thats risky.

All debt needs to be serviced and a bank will not simply write money off as the business is making a loss.

that is true, but football clubs just don't go bust and disappear. They never have. Its the nature of the beast and the industry, we can debate it till the cows come home, but they don't.

There is a good section in this book which explains the reality

9780007354085.jpg

How do you judge when reading a book will inform and educate Leazes? Rather than misleading you down a namby pamby, ladi dadi, hoity toity, loony lefty, sandal wearing, Guardianista path of do-gooder misinformation lacking any real world experience?

Seems to be a fine line, what with all the books you're recommending at the moment.

;)

How do you judge when reading a book will inform and educate Leazes? Rather than misleading you down a namby pamby, ladi dadi, hoity toity, loony lefty, sandal wearing, Guardianista path of do-gooder misinformation lacking any real world experience?

Seems to be a fine line, what with all the books you're recommending at the moment.

;)

just bomb the bastards :face_batman:

To compete in the PL you have to have periods of carrying some kind of debt.

As long as it's serviceable or rather manageable, it's not a problem.

Hopefully the fair play rules will stop, or at least significantly curtail, the amount of debt.

And of course if HMRC sort the football creditors rule, we'll see more apporpriate ramifications for mismanagement.

Edited by Toonpack

Hopefully the fair play rules will stop, or at least significantly curtail, the amount of debt.

And of course if HMRC sort the football creditors rule, we'll see more apporpriate ramifications for mismanagement.

so when are Rangers going to disappear ?

Do you ever post anything about football ?

I expect someone to buy Rangers. They will come in and settle the HMRC debt and take over the club. I think that would happen before the went "pop". Which they very well could, if no one came in.

Doubt they will, I've never said any clubs do dissappear, I take it, in your opinion, administration is a good thing and perfectly acceptable ????

Doubt they will, I've never said any clubs do dissappear, I take it, in your opinion, administration is a good thing and perfectly acceptable ????

I take it, in your opinion, selling your best players and not backing the manager is a good thing and perfecty acceptable ?

Or is that too much footballing content for you, and above your intellect level ?

Edited by LeazesMag

I take it, in your opinion, selling your best players and not backing the manager is a good thing ?

Or is that too much footballing content for you, and above your intellect level ?

Another question slopey shouldered :D

Selling your best players is a fact of life for every club, if a suitor higher up the food chain comes in (or someone makes a stupid offer), a manager should be backed within the limits a club can afford. Which is what we do, as do all the succesfull clubs (not that we've ever been consistently succesfull since the 50's).

Edited by Toonpack