NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davide Santon is a class act and he will show it this season barring injury or a massive offer coming in for him.

Cabaye is an outstanding player and his tackling and coverage of the pitch gets overlooked by some fans if he doesn't produce anything of note attacking wise.

Tiote is a machine and players do not like coming up against him

Anita has been at the club for 5 minutes ,so he needs to bed in but I can already see he's gonna be top quality for us and seems to be a Cabaye/Tiote mixture.

Ok we could do with one or two players to shore us up and I believe we will get them, either now or in January.

Buying players is the easy part...buying a quality player that fits into our team ethic is another matter altogether.

Ashley and Llambias know what they're doing and they won't be held to ransom, which benefit's us in the long term.

We finished 5th last season with some fans moaning that our squad was too small.

This time, we have some of the youngsters coming of age and being able to do a job. If you don't speculate , you don't accumulate which applies to having the bottle to use out young players and not just fill the squad up with bought players that knock them back another year.

We are still a club in transition and we have to remember that because it takes time to build the squad fully to stay at the top and it's easy to rush out and buy just for the sake of it and undo all the good work. We've been there and done that and luckily we have everything in place now, to see that it doesn't happen again like that.

Pardew wont sell Cabaye without a top replacement lined up that can compliment Tiote / Anita. He is the creative fulcrum for the whole team.

Sadly I dont think Pardew has much of a say on those matters, he is just ruffling his feathers a bit in the press when it comes to transfers as anything else would make him look like a first team coach and not a manager..

As for being the creative fulcrum of the whole team, I think that honour really belongs to ben arfa nowadays.

Cabaye CAN be that player for us, but not the way he is used atm. He is too busy snapping at heels..

Edited by Lake Bells tits

Davide Santon is a class act and he will show it this season barring injury or a massive offer coming in for him.

Cabaye is an outstanding player and his tackling and coverage of the pitch gets overlooked by some fans if he doesn't produce anything of note attacking wise.

Tiote is a machine and players do not like coming up against him

Anita has been at the club for 5 minutes ,so he needs to bed in but I can already see he's gonna be top quality for us and seems to be a Cabaye/Tiote mixture.

Ok we could do with one or two players to shore us up and I believe we will get them, either now or in January.

Buying players is the easy part...buying a quality player that fits into our team ethic is another matter altogether.

Ashley and Llambias know what they're doing and they won't be held to ransom, which benefit's us in the long term.

We finished 5th last season with some fans moaning that our squad was too small.

This time, we have some of the youngsters coming of age and being able to do a job. If you don't speculate , you don't accumulate which applies to having the bottle to use out young players and not just fill the squad up with bought players that knock them back another year.

We are still a club in transition and we have to remember that because it takes time to build the squad fully to stay at the top and it's easy to rush out and buy just for the sake of it and undo all the good work. We've been there and done that and luckily we have everything in place now, to see that it doesn't happen again like that.

Somewhere between not spending at all and Boumsong/Luque/Owen spending is where we should be.

Ive said it before but I`ll say it again - there was nothing wrong with the money Fat Fred&co spent, the fault was that they spent it on the wrong type of players.

With the scouting network proven to be a success, what we should have done this summer was up the spending a bit to reflect our new Top-5 position. Not mindless spending but adressing the issues, namely getting simpson, williamson and Ryan Taylor further away from the starting 11 and getting a third CB to battle it out with steven taylor.

We havent done that and as such we risk sliding down the table to 8-9th again. We will see how Mikes Gamble pans out this time.

Genuinly happy to eat my words if wrong, Im just a bit worried.

Sadly I dont think Pardew has much of a say on those matters, he is just ruffling his feathers a bit in the press.

As for being the creative fulcrum of the whole team, I think that honour really belongs to ben arfa nowadays.

Cabaye CAN be that player for us, but not the way he is used atm. He is too busy snapping at heels..

I know what you mean but just because Ben Arfa is our most creative player doesnt mean he is the 'fulcrum' of the side i.e. the player the ball tends to go through when generating attacking play. Not sure he has done much of that in these first two games, more reflecting on last season. Against Chelsea, Ben Arfa's role was to break down Chelsea's shape by taking players on and dragging other players out of position. This requires amazing talent and creativity but thats not a role which sets off attacking players from central midfield.

As for the comments about Pardew and whether we will replace Cabaye if sold, there is a possibility that we sell and dont replace for a period whilst the right player arrives. We have clear examples of that nowadays. Replacement is beyond question, whether it happens for over-inflated prices this week may be in doubt but i think they have learned their lesson with that one.

Cabayes options include either passing to ben arfa or - due to the massive gap between our overrun midfield and strikeforce - hoy it long which admittely does work sometimes. Could pass it to jonas too but he wont taking any players on usually...

When I refer to ben arfa as the fulcrum I mean the architect, which admittedly is partly due to the fact that thats what I want and think he should be, dragging other players with him and providing link up with himself through 1-2`s and bridge the gap to cisse and ba. Last season when we brought ben arfa on it transformed the side, instantly playing it more to the ground and having other players looking for him and giving him the ball - just like in school. You give the ball to the best player ;)

I just hope the squad wont suffer as we look through the market with a microscope to find cracking deals.

Cos Tiote is proven in this league?

But the clubs that are likely to be in for him have no problem with shopping abroad, if he was being chased by Sunderland and Stoke I'd agree.

I agree can't let Cabaye go for any sum without a nailed on starting replacement ready to come right in to replace him, and even then i really don't know who we could get for sensible money.

M'Villa is more of a Tiote than Cabaye,

Someone like Pjanic who spurs have also been linked to would be quality, but likely to cost around 15m and he's only been at roma one season, he'd not be defensively as good as Cabaye.

Replacing him for a like for like player (someone with eye for a pass and not bad at helping out with defense) you'd need someone the ilk of Kroos, L.Diarra, Sweingstieger(sp), all of which would cost a fair bit with insane wages we wouldn't pay.

Would i sell Tiote to see m'villa, douglas, and one of our two full back choices come in and possibly AC? in a heartbeat yeah.

Cabaye is a much bigger ask to replace than Tiote.

M'villa would be better than Tiote imo. Gonna be a big player for france.

Only seen 2-3 games of M`vila - but he looks better than Tiote to me from what I saw.

Cabaye is good but he is not irreplacable in his current position. As long as we deploy him as deep as we do with little time for clever passes he will always be a fitter guthrie with better vision, sadly.

An advanced Cabaye given freer reigns though, would cost 25 mill to upgrade on.

Only seen 2-3 games of M`vila - but he looks better than Tiote to me from what I saw.

Cabaye is good but he is not irreplacable in his current position. As long as we deploy him as deep as we do with little time for clever passes he will always be a fitter guthrie with better vision, sadly.

An advanced Cabaye given freer reigns though, would cost 25 mill to upgrade on.

Sure you said about a page back you would sell him for £15m and he is a bit overrated?

Read what I wrote again then. I was referring to his value only.

15 milion sounds about right. Slightly overrated in my opinion.

If we could get M`vila for that amount I wouldnt think twice.

Tabbing out of FM for a moment and returning to real life, I would never want us to lose anyone - simply because I dont trust Mike and Dekka to replace them.

If you are going to quote my posts at least bother reading them. Made it perfectly clear.

15 million current value, 25 million potential value ( should he be able to replicate his 15 goal a season Lille form when he was deployed in a more advanced position)