Match of the Day

The Fish

Would love Ginola to chin Lee Dixon one day as well.

I'm a laid back forgiving lad in real life but hold old grudges when it comes to NUFC. I was down at Highbury that night and in seats by the touchline with a perfect view of that Moonfaced twat doing a hatchet job on Ginola who then incredibly got sent off by Gerald Ashby? Disgraceful and when you hear precious fucking Arsenal fans twist on about the likes of Stoke, Bolton or lets face it, any fucka giving their darlings a tackle I end up wondering if they have any idea of the club they support or their history. I can't stand the bastard, we had a team that could've won that cup but for a cheat like Dixon.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we after pundits or gobshites? ;)

Once heard Souness rewrite history on an Irish show and slag our support off as well to a sympathetic presenter, nasty Geordies/who do they think they are?/ideas above their station etc.

Souness has nobody to blame but himself for how he got on here at Newcastle. He was allowed to do everything he wanted and fell on his own sword.

Aye, Souness is good but he has (not the only one like) done a few history rewrites about his time up here at the same time.

I think the main problem with the Beeb is that it's such a closed shop / old boys network. It might seem inconceivable but Lawrenson and Hansen used to be really good. The reason they're so crap now is because they've been doing the same job and trotting out the same cliches for years. That's why Lee Dixon or Martin Keown seem decent when they're on, i.e. because at least they're a bit different. Shearer's always been shit since he first came on like. I just hope, like someone else said, Savage doesn't get on the show, because he's fucking dreadful. He seems to be the Beeb's latest pet project as well.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is, it's not just who you have on, it's about keeping it fresh. Something the BBC rarely seem to do.

Souness is one of the best pundits going. Living proof that talking a good game doesn't mean you have the man-management skills or good player judgement.

You're right, LM!!!!

:D

(As long as he doesn't talk about NUFC). ;)

I'm a laid back forgiving lad in real life but hold old grudges when it comes to NUFC. I was down at Highbury that night and in seats by the touchline with a perfect view of that Moonfaced twat doing a hatchet job on Ginola who then incredibly got sent off by Gerald Ashby? Disgraceful and when you hear precious fucking Arsenal fans twist on about the likes of Stoke, Bolton or lets face it, any fucka giving their darlings a tackle I end up wondering if they have any idea of the club they support or their history. I can't stand the bastard, we had a team that could've won that cup but for a cheat like Dixon.

Tbf, while I agree in part, the ref was entirely to blame that night. Dixon used unfair means because Ginola was too good for him. Not really defending Dixon but it's naive to think players won't do what they can get away with. I remember Ginola being book for a 'dive' after Dixon or Winterburn basically went right through him.

Aye, Souness is good but he has (not the only one like) done a few history rewrites about his time up here at the same time.

I think the main problem with the Beeb is that it's such a closed shop / old boys network. It might seem inconceivable but Lawrenson and Hansen used to be really good. The reason they're so crap now is because they've been doing the same job and trotting out the same cliches for years. That's why Lee Dixon or Martin Keown seem decent when they're on, i.e. because at least they're a bit different. Shearer's always been shit since he first came on like. I just hope, like someone else said, Savage doesn't get on the show, because he's fucking dreadful. He seems to be the Beeb's latest pet project as well.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is, it's not just who you have on, it's about keeping it fresh. Something the BBC rarely seem to do.

thats probably right. Shearer just hasn't opened up at all, he's bland and as an ex striker doesn't counteract the others who are obsessed with defending, in the slightest.

thats probably right. Shearer just hasn't opened up at all, he's bland and as an ex striker doesn't counteract the others who are obsessed with defending, in the slightest.

Sums BBC Football up for me. You could tell they were grooming him for the role while he was still playing. He's turned out to be shit so what have they done - persevered with him instead of getting in some more interesting guests. Same goes for Savage on Radio5 imo. Someone in the BBC has obviously decided he's a good presenter / radio host and they're sticking with him regardless. Have you heard him on 606 etc.? If anyone disagrees he basically shouts them down / comes back at them with - "have you played professional football?" What a clown.

I quite like Mark Bright as it happens.

Sums BBC Football up for me. You could tell they were grooming him for the role while he was still playing. He's turned out to be shit so what have they done - persevered with him instead of getting in some more interesting guests. Same goes for Savage on Radio5 imo. Someone in the BBC has obviously decided he's a good presenter / radio host and they're sticking with him regardless. Have you heard him on 606 etc.? If anyone disagrees he basically shouts them down / comes back at them with - "have you played professional football?" What a clown.

I quite like Mark Bright as it happens.

I've heard 505 [606?] now and again, basically there is just too much coverage of football on TV and radio now so you forget too many of these shows. I keep saying I will listen to the 3 legends for starters, but never do that either.

Edited by LeazesMag

I've heard 505 [606?] now and again, basically there is just too much coverage of football on TV and radio now so you forget too many of these shows. I keep saying I will listen to the 3 legends for starters, but never do that either.

It's 606 because it originally came on at 6:06 pm on a Saturday, i.e. after the full second reading of the classified results (at 6pm) finished.

I quite Lineker as well btw. ;)

As already mentioned Gary Neville was fantastic last year and his slot on the Monday night football with that Gemmill lookalike was the best analysis slot going last season. Even if they of course tended to focus on the bigger teams more.

Jamie Redknapp is fucking clueless as well.

Also what I don't get is why at times Sky's football coverage is absolutely fucking dreadful or it was until Neville joined up last season, yet their cricket coverage is a totally different ball game (whey), the ex-pro's they've got on there are really insightful yet at the same time they're not up their own arses and also don't mind upsetting the status quo and they actually tell it like it is. That's half the problem with the Beeb as well, last season watching Hansen and Lawrenson trying to make pathetic excuses to defend their mate Kenny despite his obvious flaws was utterly tedious.

I think the difference between cricket and football punditry is mainly one of intelligence tbh. Atherton, for example, writes articles that an infinite number of ex footballers with an infinite number of typewriters could never come close to.

Also what I don't get is why at times Sky's football coverage is absolutely fucking dreadful or it was until Neville joined up last season, yet their cricket coverage is a totally different ball game (whey), the ex-pro's they've got on there are really insightful yet at the same time they're not up their own arses and also don't mind upsetting the status quo and they actually tell it like it is. That's half the problem with the Beeb as well, last season watching Hansen and Lawrenson trying to make pathetic excuses to defend their mate Kenny despite his obvious flaws was utterly tedious.

Isn't that a lot to do with the fact that football is full of precious cunts who will deny media access if they dare say anything nasty?

Ferguson, Allardyce etc.

I think the difference between cricket and football punditry is mainly one of intelligence tbh. Atherton, for example, writes articles that an infinite number of ex footballers with an infinite number of typewriters could never come close to.

Aye that's a good point actually.

Although I doubt even Gazza could say he's done things as wild as Gower once did. ;)

Hansen and Lawrenson need fucking off, but if it means I'm still watching Robbie Savage and Shearer 20 years from now, I'll stick with H&L.

Garth Crooks as well, he is probably the biggest bellend out of them all.

completely agree.

Also, yes, Neville is a great pundit.

Aye that's a good point actually.

Although I doubt even Gazza could say he's done things as wild as Gower once did. ;)

Gower is class on Sky. Dead comfortable presenting and as you say, they'll get stuck into the issues of the day in a way that footballers won't. Some of the features they put together to play during lunch would be good enough as standalone documentary series as well.