Punishment fitting the crime. (or not)

wolfy

What kind of a justice system do we have?

How can exact crimes be punishable with totally different sentences?

I've seen many crimes in the paper in my town where people are sentenced for the very same crime, yet one will get a slap on the wrist, while the other gets a much more severe penalty. How in the hell does this work out?

I remember seeing a court round up and two cases of drink driving whilst both twice over the limit produced a years driving ban for one with a £100 fine and the other received a years ban with a £250 fine.

Also, another case where one lad was up for drink driving, driving whilst disqualified, no insurance, tax or test, who had about 12 previous motoring convictions for no insurance, drink driving, no tax, taking without owners consent e.t.c, and he receives ......wait for it....another years ban with 100 hours unpaid work.

They wonder why these young lads don't give a phuck when sentences like this are dished out.

What pisses me off the most is when someone who hasn't ever been before the courts gets walloped for a small crime, yet the persistent offender will be slapped on the wrist and told time and time again, this is his last chance.

Back fines are another pathetic waste of time for repeat offenders who refuse to pay as the police just wait and hope they bump into them, yet a lad I know that owed about £40, paying at a fiver a week was called upon at his house a good few times before, obviously getting watched a bit later and they decided to do a Sweeney on him in the street and locked him up overnight ready to explain himself in court.

I know it's easy to say, " well, the repeat offenders don't give a toss and the courts know they're not scared of jail but that's simply a cop out.

As far as I'm concerned, I think judges love it when some green as grass, never been to court person is up before them, because I think they take great delight in scaring the shite out of them, yet know it doesn't work on the regulars, so there's no buzz in torturing them and so quickly smack their wrists and off they go, laughing.

Go right through the system, even down to murder and sentences differ massively for a very similar crime like that.

What do you all think?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mentioned driving. I think one day I want to partake in a 'car high five' with the two drivers slapping hands as they pass. I reckon it'd be quality. :D

how fast do you reckon that would have to happen to really fuck your hands up? even if youre both doing 20ish its a 40mph hit

I think you need more specific (linked) examples to back up your thoughts. Then people can argue the reasons why one was a stronger sentence than the other.

There's many reasons why sentences might vary. There's a difficult line to walk between empowering judges who could apply the law with prejudice..but can apply discretion and alternatively having a mandatory sentence for crimes that doesn't account for mitigating circumstances and doesn't allow for liklihood to reoffend offset against the cost of punishment.

Do you see the role of the courts simply to punish, or to keep the public safe and rehabilitate? I prefer the latter and welcome varying sentences to facilitate it.

Guest CabayeAye

There'd be a seismic crater resulting from the sheer awesomeness of the sound clap.

Be more concerned at getting near enough to do it without colliding head-on. The project is still in the planning phase for now.

You could easily do it using the white line on a B road. Any more than 30 MPH each though and you'd smash your hands!

You could easily do it using the white line on a B road. Any more than 30 MPH each though and you'd smash your hands!

Cracking shout, that. Has to be long and straight (oo-er). I reckon 20mph in a controlled environment would be the best bet. Might have to be done at night to get a quiet road so a few attempts can be made.

I think you need more specific (linked) examples to back up your thoughts. Then people can argue the reasons why one was a stronger sentence than the other.

There's many reasons why sentences might vary. There's a difficult line to walk between empowering judges who could apply the law with prejudice..but can apply discretion and alternatively having a mandatory sentence for crimes that doesn't account for mitigating circumstances and doesn't allow for liklihood to reoffend offset against the cost of punishment.

Do you see the role of the courts simply to punish, or to keep the public safe and rehabilitate? I prefer the latter and welcome varying sentences to facilitate it.

I see the role of the courts to punish, but on a fair basis.

Since you struggle to believe in gravity, I'm surprised you believe in or are interested in the legal system. It's hard to take serious anyone with such an outlandish belief system on any matter tbh.

Since you struggle to believe in gravity, I'm surprised you believe in or are interested in the legal system. It's hard to take serious anyone with such an outlandish belief system on any matter tbh.

Nobody is asking you to take me serious. I don't take you serious.

I see the role of the courts to punish, but on a fair basis.

That doesn't need a but.

You don't want any nuance allowed when a judge hands down his sentence.

You wouldn't care if the defendant was a first-offender single mum shoplifting a phone to sell and buy food to feed her kids having been sacked from work and dumped by her fella that very morning, when her mam died the week before and she'd been in councelling for a year already for depression.

She'd get the same sentence as a recidivist gang member who filmed themselves robbing the same item on their other phone and did so laughing as they went, and sold them only to buy some new Nike Air?

That doesn't need a but.

You don't want any nuance allowed when a judge hands down his sentence.

You wouldn't care if the defendant was a first-offender single mum shoplifting a phone to sell and buy food to feed her kids having been sacked from work and dumped by her fella that very morning, when her mam died the week before and she'd been in councelling for a year already for depression.

She'd get the same sentence as a recidivist gang member who filmed themselves robbing the same item on their other phone and did so laughing as they went, and sold them only to buy some new Nike Air?

I think if you read my post again, I said "but on a fair basis" I didn't say anything at all about making a career criminal the same as someone who has done something out of desperation.

The fair bit in that situation would be to jail the laughing shoplifter and to give out a stern warning to the desperate woman that she has anoter chance so don't abuse it.

That to me is being fair.

Nice twist though.

I think if you read my post again, I said "but on a fair basis" I didn't say anything at all about making a career criminal the same as someone who has done something out of desperation.

The fair bit in that situation would be to jail the laughing shoplifter and to give out a stern warning to the desperate woman that she has anoter chance so don't abuse it.

That to me is being fair.

Then we've answered your question...

I've seen many crimes in the paper in my town where people are sentenced for the very same crime, yet one will get a slap on the wrist, while the other gets a much more severe penalty. How in the hell does this work out?

Then we've answered your question...

Have you?

Have you?

Is this a question about the existence of reality or a straight question? :unsure2:

You answered it yourself...

The fair bit in that situation would be to
jail the laughing shoplifter
and to give out a
stern warning to the desperate woman
that she has anoter chance so don't abuse it.

Different sentences are fair, and that's how they work.

Now if you ask how we can jail the laughing shoplifter when jails don't exist....or shoplifters....or laughter....then I'm done.

Is this a question about the existence of reality or a straight question? :unsure2:

You answered it yourself...

The fair bit in that situation would be to
jail the laughing shoplifter
and to give out a
stern warning to the desperate woman
that she has anoter chance so don't abuse it.

Different sentences are fair, and that's how they work.

Now if you ask how we can jail the laughing shoplifter when jails don't exist....or shoplifters....or laughter....then I'm done.

Ok.