Julian Assange - What do you think of him?

Happy Face

Julian Assange  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is it?

All the transcript said was that they got a guy to talk to them. He was talking about a mission that had already taken place. Plus I haven't seen anything that shows that he did actually release any classified information. It could just be some movie producers getting over excited that they got anyone to talk to them.

Though of course it is in the US Army and government's interest to sensationalise anything to do with Osama's death.

The leak isn't from Bigelow and her cohorts to the wider public. The leak is from the gentleman giving them the name of a seal. The producers of this film don't have the security clearance for even that tidbit....never mind getting to chat to him off the record about all the shit that went down as they killed Osama.

The film was due in December, so the benefit of those leaked secrets will be available then, only when they can benefit Time Warner Corporation financially and President Obama politically.

:D

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The leak isn't from Bigelow and her cohorts to the wider public. The leak is from the gentleman giving them the name of a seal. The producers of this film don't have the security clearance for even that tidbit....never mind getting to chat to him off the record about all the shit that went down as they killed Osama.

I understand what the leak is. I'm just more comfortable with a navy seal being given permission by military command to tell a film producer a few minor details of Osama's death than I am with Manning taking it upon himself to leak masses of information that could have endangered lives.

I understand what the leak is. I'm just more comfortable with a navy seal being given permission by military command to tell a film producer a few minor details of Osama's death than I am with Manning taking it upon himself to leak masses of information that could have endangered lives.

....but actually had lower level security and didn't endanger any lives at all...as the pentagon later confirmed.

You're more comfortable with leaks from those in a position of power, with lots to gain personally, leaking top secret stories that shine a positive light on our leaders, for the sake of propaganda and keeping the public support for a "war" that has gone on longer than WW1 and WW2, at a cost of several trillions while hospitals and schools get funding cuts.

You're more comfortable with those leaks than leaks from low level grunts with a conscience, people with nothing whatsoever to gain and everything to lose. People who see clear wrong-doing and inform the public, only because it's in the public interest to know the truth.

That's not surprising. The truth is more uncomfortable than the propaganda. Being willfully blind to the truth once you know it can't be comfortable though?

....but actually had lower level security and didn't endanger any lives at all...as the pentagon later confirmed.

You're more comfortable with leaks from those in a position of power, with lots to gain personally, leaking facts that shine a positive light on our leaders, for the sake of propaganda and keeping the public support for a "war" that has gone on longer than WW1 and WW2, at a cost of several trillions while hospitals and schools get funding cuts.

You're more comfortable with those leaks than leaks from low level grunts with a conscience, people with nothing whatsoever to gain and everything to lose. People who see clear wrong-doing and inform the public, only because it's in the public interest to know the truth.

That's not surprising. The truth is more uncomfortable than the propaganda. Being willfully blind to the truth once you know it can't be comfortable though?

I'm more comfortable that those at the top didn't willfully release information that could have endangered lives. Manning didn't know what information in those cables could have endangered lives, neither did Assange. That's why they were irresponsible.

I'm more comfortable that those at the top didn't willfully release information that could have endangered lives. Manning didn't know what information in those cables could have endangered lives, neither did Assange. That's why they were irresponsible.

People at the top do release info that actually endangers lives though. Look at the case of Scooter Libby. Fully pardoned by the president after actually endangering the lives of US service people, being charged and found guilty.

People at the top do release info that actually endangers lives though. Look at the case of Scooter Libby. Fully pardoned by the president after actually endangering the lives of US service people, being charged and found guilty.

And that pardon made a mockery of the US justice system. Any leaking of classified information is a crime, I simply believe that there is a sliding scale of severity based on whether it will endanger lives, was it in the public interest etc.

Guest CabayeAye

Assange said that all collaborators with ISAF deserve to die (and many have because of his disclosure of personal details).

Because of this, he has committed an act of war against NATO and deserves to be treated the same way as the Taliban/AQ.

Julian Assange is expected to make a public statement later on the diplomatic row that has engulfed him since being granted asylum by Ecuador.

Wikileaks says its founder is to speak outside the Ecuadorean embassy in London, where he has been since June.

He faces extradition to Sweden over sexual assault claims, which he denies.

Ecuador's president has suggested Mr Assange could co-operate with Sweden if assurances are given that there would be no extradition to a third country.

Australian Mr Assange, 41 - whose Wikileaks website has published a mass of leaked diplomatic cables embarrassing countries including the US - first walked into the embassy in Knightsbridge, asking for protection, two months ago.

Mr Assange entered the embassy after the UK's Supreme Court dismissed his bid to reopen his appeal against extradition and gave him a two-week grace period before extradition proceedings could start.

It is established international protocol that local police and security forces are not permitted to enter an embassy, unless they have the express permission of the ambassador.

On Thursday a post appeared on the Wikileaks Twitter feed which said: "ANNOUNCEMENT: Julian Assange will give a live statement infront of the Ecuadorian embassy, Sunday 2pm."

However, it is not clear precisely how this statement will be made and Mr Assange has been warned by the British authorities that he will be arrested when he leaves the embassy.

The BBC's Andrew Plant, outside the Ecuadorean embassy, says there has been much speculation about how Mr Assange might deliver his statement.

Our correspondent says the corridors and lifts inside the building, which is shared with Colombia, are communal and not part of the Ecuadorean embassy so police stationed in these areas could arrest Mr Assange before he appears outside.

Wikileaks' press feed also said Judge Baltasar Garzon, the head of Mr Assange's legal team, will speak outside the embassy from 11:30 BST, although it gives no indication of what he might say.

'Explicit threat'

The Sunday Times quotes sources close to Mr Assange who say he would be prepared to leave the embassy if guarantees are given by Sweden that he will not be extradited to the US.

His supporters claim he could face persecution and even the death penalty.

On Friday, Ecuador's President Rafael Correa used his weekly national address to say that the South American country had never said Mr Assange should not "answer to the Swedish justice system".

"What we have always asked for is a guarantee that there won't be a second extradition to a third country as that would put at risk Mr Assange's life and freedom."

Mr Correa said a letter from the British government that drew attention to the Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act 1987 was "intolerable" and an "explicit threat".

The act could allow the UK to potentially lift the embassy's diplomatic status to allow police to enter the building to arrest Mr Assange for breaching his bail terms.

If I was him I'd be hanging out the windows of the embassy, playing Sash's Ecuador at full blast, and V'ing everyone that walks past.

Essentially this is what he'll be doing at 2pm today.

Guest CabayeAye

I hope he accidentally steps foot on UK soil and gets dragged onto UK land by police.

Follow a swift bagging and tagging and a one way flight to Guantanamo via Sweden.

If I was him I'd be hanging out the windows of the embassy, playing Sash's Ecuador at full blast, and V'ing everyone that walks past.

:lol: I'm laughing more at the thought of you listening to Trance music.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchiversscience/100177363/george-galloways-julian-assange-rape-comments-surely-this-is-finally-the-end-for-gorgeous-george/

What a fucking arsehole. As the article says, surely the end for this cretin now. He shouldn't have any credibility left to start with but if he did have he hasn't now. An "insertion" ffs. Send Bramble roond to give him an insertion when he's asleep see how he likes it.