Julian Assange - What do you think of him?

Happy Face

Julian Assange  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Granted leave to appeal by Sweden's Supreme Court. Not sure if that means he's going to go back or not? And I though he said was meant to be leaving the embassy "imminently" 6 months ago?

• 3 months later...

because...

A Freedom of Information request submitted by the Hazel Press news organization has revealed that Sweden has granted 44 requests to interview witnesses or suspects in the UK since 2010, the Press Association reports.

and now

Swedish prosecutors will drop their investigation into sexual assault allegations against Julian Assange on Thursday because of the statutes of limitation, the BBC has learned.

Prosecutors had until 13 August to question Mr Assange about one accusation of sexual molestation and one of unlawful coercion, while the time limit on a further allegation of sexual molestation runs out on 18 August.

• 11 months later...

Did @nero incite violence?

They're a free speech advocacy group. Organisations like the ACLU defend the right to hate speech too. The supreme court backed the KKK's right to hate speech in Brandenburg v. Ohio.

@lesdogg has the right to block anyone giving her abuse.

A principled free speech defence comes when you defend the most abhorrent speech you most vehemently oppose.

Except for this place not having 300m users, half of whom have got a hard on about defending free speech ;)

Was nice to see anonymous defend Twitter like. Tough call that would piss off a great number of people whatever was decided.

A bit like LM.

Imagine the uproar if the issue was over something more important than a celebrity cunt, chasing celebrities to be a cunt to.

@lesdogg has the right to block anyone giving her abuse.

A principled free speech defence comes when you defend the most abhorrent speech you most vehemently oppose.

So the right to spout personal racist abuse should be defended? The recipient should just ignore it?

So the right to spout personal racist abuse should be defended? The recipient should just ignore it?

That's a difficult moral question. When does criticism cross the line into abuse that should be acted on lawfully? Like the NRA after a shooting though, wikileaks and the ACLU are going to stick with their core message, not cede ground in the overall debate.

The law in the US is pretty black and white, all speech is protected. No matter how hateful. That's different from most European countries where shades of grey are accounted for. But difficult for the public to be informed on where protections stop and start.

Obviously Twitter are not obligated to allow anyone on, and their T&Cs aren't aligned with laws necessarily, they can be more intolerant of any abusive language, but their interpretation of what to allow or not invites discussion of the shades of grey.

Personally I can see both sides, but I think I like the American way better. The victim here would have the support of 99% of people reading about it. The antagonist comes out of it with no credit whatsoever and i don't think that she's been made to fear for her safety at any point.

I don't think it teaches fat, black 5 year olds methods for dealing with the abuse they get every day when adults ban abusive people rather than win the argument.

Not saying you've done this, but it worries me when the "I'm Charlie Hebdo" line of free speech defense withers when it's not Muslims that are the victim.

Agree with HF, ultimately. I don't know what the comment was, but had they left it up the individual posting it would have been rightfully pilloried. I feel that this sends a better message than banning. Whoever the guy was probably now feels he's a martyr for free speech rather than a pillock with several thousand critical re-tweets.

And indeed, tolerating and then making fun of someone is usually what we do on here.

Edited by Rayvin