Paralympics

luckyluke

These people are unreal man. Watching the cycling and there's fellas with one leg absolutely haring around the track.

It seems a bit weird to do it, but I quite like the commentators giving you the lowdown on how they came to be in this position. Some of the stories though, Christ.

"Garcia of Venezuela now. Lost his left leg in a 6 car pile up 6 years ago. An accident in which he also lost his 3 year old daughter. I spoke to him yesterday and he was telling me that when a tragedy like that befalls you, your world almost comes to an end, and everything, including your relationships suffer. And indeed his wife left him two years ago. His friends call him Lucky."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah they're unbelievable man. I was watching the swimming this morning, and the partially sighted blokes - they reckon the gold in the 100m freestyle will be won in about 50 seconds. The full olympics gold was won in 47 ffs!

I know they're *only* partially sighted, but that's fucking rapid.

How these people get to this point with some of the life challenges they've had to cope with is mind boggling. I would be a walled off shell in their position.

Edited by Gemmill

Channel 4 are struggling here like. They just showed the British lad take the lead in the cycling time trial and went to adverts. When they come back, you get "Welcome back. Well, we are reeling here after the Chinese athlete recorded a new world record and took the lead in the competition while you were away."

You can't put adverts in the middle of things like this ffs.

Edited by Gemmill

Channel 4 are struggling here like. They just showed the British lad take the lead in the cycling time trial and went to adverts. When they come back, you get "Welcome back. Well, we are reeling here after the Chinese athlete recorded a new world record and took the lead in the competition while you were away."

Ah but it's ok; they released a statement after the inevitable backlash from the opening ceremony saying that they were showing less adverts than usual.

You not watching the extra channels? Sky 450, 451 and 452. No ads on those :thumbup:

Guest CabayeAye

Ah nice one, will do. The wheelchair basketball match just before was quality. Looking forward to the wheelchair rugby - fuck knows how that works.

Sounds like it will end in a big pile of twisted metal and bones.

Channel 4's coverage of the rowing is a shambles. They've basically got one camera, on the finishing line, and they just turn it to the left to show you the boats coming up the river. No perspective or owt. :lol:

You only find out in the last 10 seconds or so who is where in terms of the placings. Pretty bad when compared with the BBC coverage - they had cameras on runners pacing the boats and all sorts.

Jesus Christ, good job his ego will protect him from the full shame of that. Getting booed at the Paralympics - probably the most good-natured sporting event on Earth. Ever!

What an feckless little turd of a man he is.

Edited by trophyshy

Up to the opposition to defend against that, surely.

Well they get called foul for so much as bumping into each other so not much they can do! I'd define a foul as upending another player/deliberately blocking them off rather than bumping wheelchairs as you try and swipe the ball away.

The whole sport is the same - officials won't call travelling because then there won't be so many fancy baskets and high-scoring games.

Just watched the interview with him on C4 there too, and he seems a spot on bloke too. After some of the shit times he must have been through, what an outlook on life he's got. That probably sounds patronising, but I can only judge based on what I think I'd be like, and honestly if I'd had both my legs lopped off, I'd probably feel like a gold medallist if I left the house once a week to buy a double decker.