Mon

17-Sep

8pm

Sky

Maritimo A

Thu

20-Sep

ELGSM1

Then Norwich at home on the Sunday (still slated for the Saturday atm) We've already had this once this season already too, away in Greece Thursday then away to Chelsea on the Saturday. This isnt going to be easy this season, as some of us were shouted down for saying in May #amturningintoleazes ;)

Edited by PaddockLad

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to say I agree to a certain extent, but when the next month throws up this:

Everton A

Mon

17-Sep

8pm

Sky

Maritimo A

Thu

20-Sep

ELGSM1

Then Norwich at home on the Sunday (still slated for the Saturday atm) We've already had this once this season already too, away in Greece Thursday then away to Chelsea on the Saturday. This isnt going to be easy this season, as some of us were shouted down for saying in May #amturningintoleazes ;)

That's further apart than playing a Thursday evening and then a Sunday afternoon, Pardew has said he will keep playing the younger lads through the group stages too.

That's further apart than playing a Thursday evening and then a Sunday afternoon, Pardew has said he will keep playing the younger lads through the group stages too.

Yeah, thats what J69 is complaining about. Seems a strange complaint, but there you go...it is what it is, we're going to have to get to the quarter finals with those that are constantly slated on here. Can't see why anyone would've thought any different tbh. Some of us of course did raise this in May and are wondering why it was forcibly pointed out that there wasnt a problem :D

Yeah, thats what J69 is complaining about. Seems a strange complaint, but there you go...it is what it is, we're going to have to get to the quarter finals with those that are constantly slated on here. Can't see why anyone would've thought any different tbh. Some of us of course did raise this in May and are wondering why it was forcibly pointed out that there wasnt a problem :D

What problem?

Krul, Colo, Williamson, Simpson, Ryan Taylor, Marveaux, Ba and Perch all started in the qualifying round game. It's possible to see all 8 of those players start in the prem. Pardew will mix and match according to lots of factors; the game coming up at the weekend, the opposition's strengths etc, who is fit, who needs a game. What made the Atromitos game interesting was that both central midfielders were 'development players'. The mix of players and positions rested and tested will change imo.

What problem?

Hopefully there wont be one, whatever J69 says...not me like :D

When you look at the group Stoke got out of last season (D. Kiev,Besiktas,Tel Aviv...all 4 hour flights) we've got off lightly and our squad is much better than theirs. We'll see, am looking forward to the games...but if we're in the bottom 5 come christmas and out of Europe I dont want to hear any bleating from you ;) ......... I'm still of the opinion that long term Europe has come a season too early, but there again Fulham got to the final so who knows?

You only have been (possibly) RIGHT for a few months and only told us a few times yet want to take Leazes crown who was RIGHT FOR YEARS and also told us on numerous occasions compared to your few lukewarm warnings?

Come back, LM, all is forgiven.

Hopefully there wont be one, whatever J69 says...not me like :D

When you look at the group Stoke got out of last season (D. Kiev,Besiktas,Tel Aviv...all 4 hour flights) we've got off lightly and our squad is much better than theirs. We'll see, am looking forward to the games...but if we're in the bottom 5 come christmas and out of Europe I dont want to hear any bleating from you ;) ......... I'm still of the opinion that long term Europe has come a season too early, but there again Fulham got to the final so who knows?

You don't think there's a problem in putting out a reserve team in a cup we have a good chance of winning? In the last 10 years Fulham, Middlesbrough, Celtic and Rangers have all made it to the final. Forgive me if I don't see the sense in sacrificing the Europa League in a bid to finish in a Europa League spot in the Premiership

You don't think there's a problem in putting out a reserve team in a cup we have a good chance of winning? In the last 10 years Fulham, Middlesbrough, Celtic and Rangers have all made it to the final. Forgive me if I don't see the sense in sacrificing the Europa League in a bid to finish in a Europa League spot in the Premiership

To cover both adequately, we'd need a level of investment that we all know we're not going to get under Ashley. Baggio has been saying we'll be fine with the squad we have since before the transfer window even opened. Seems that he's still ok with it now business is over till January. Not sure how he could make that judgement in May, but there you go. Its his opinion.

As I indicated, Stoke's example is a good one, for me they did well to get out of that group. The big unknown is how seriously the other teams in the group are taking the Europa League. I do think Stoke benefitted from that, but still, Pulis had to balance the squad correctly. If we get through, you've also got champions league teams dropping in. Again, we dont know how seriously they'll be taking it. Basically, if we get through the group with the fringe players then maybe Pardew is thinking he'll play the big guns in the latter stages. But fuck knows. I still largely agree that our league posistion will suffer for the sake of a competition which, although it would be hugely satisfying to win, is worth comparatively little financially unless you get to a minimum of the semi finals. Stoke's league posistion suffered last season, same as most sides sides from the premier league competing in it semi-seriously. We'll see. Fulham got to the final....but didnt finish in the big money places in the premier league. If we do neither the season will have been a waste financially. That will probably mean we have to sell a couple of players next summer ;)

Can't see the point in playing in the Europa League unless we take it seriously. More than anything else we need to win a trophy and this competition gives us a chance.

I thought Stoke's approach last year was poor, (although better than Bolton's and Villa's in the past) - they played all those games to get through to the knockout stages and then played a reserve team at Valencia despite only being a goal down in the first leg - absolutely pathetic imo

More than anything else I want us to start taking the cup competitions seriously and if the league position suffers then so be it - its a price worth paying if we can win a trophy for the first time in 43 years

Edited by brummiemag1