Manchester United v Newcastle United

Christmas Tree

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9999 below capacity :P. would you not start to get excited if say we got to the semis and were winning going into the last leg at home? I know I would and my cup final day would consist of being in a pub outside wembley watching it on tv. For someone your age with a season ticket who's never seen Newcastle lift a cup, getting the opportunity to be in the stadium for that would surely be magical. I went to wembley to see Grimsby play in the JPT Trophy Final. The team had done fuck all all year and were languishing in League Two, but playing in the final of possibly the most meaningless trophy on earth created such a buzz around town.

The League Cups wank, but its a start.

No. I wouldn't. Ewerk nailed what I think on the opening page of this thread.

No. I wouldn't. Ewerk nailed what I think on the opening page of this thread.

Dont believe this for a moment. Not one.

We have been a pretty shit team overall since the 50's. Men have been born, grown old and died since then and we still havent won a domestic trophy.

Like the rest of us you would be on the piss pre match and looking forward to the game.

We win and you start planning your Wembley trip with your mates, booking the train, sorting the hotel......

Nothing beats 40,000 Geordies taking over Leicester Square and Covent Garden.

Well yeah it might be, but if Ashley goes there and sees a cup win he might think he likes a bit of this being successful lark and put more into the transfers side of things to create a larger squad to compete for the club.

Nerh obviously not but nothin like a bit of hopeless optimism on a Thursday morning

We have been a pretty shit team overall since the 50's. Men have been born, grown old and died since then and we still havent won a domestic trophy.

Like the rest of us you would be on the piss pre match and looking forward to the game.

We win and you start planning your Wembley trip with your mates, booking the train, sorting the hotel......

Spot on.

Why do we (you) go to the match?

To win

All of that is true apart from I'd stay at my sisters. I'd turn out for the crack, but I'd certainly not be as heartbroken if we lost as I was in 1998 and 1999. I was in tears man 20 years of age crying like a lass. What a fanny I must've seemed.

Williamson MUST GO

Gosling MUST GO

Obertan MUST GO if he doesn't improve

Vuckic NOT ATHLETIC ENOUGH

We're NUFC, these players are Championship level, it beggars belief how highly "Willo" is rated by the backroom team.

Let's look at priorities.

Naturally many fans are pissed off that we went out of this cup, which is fair enough and a natural reaction...I wasn't exactly happy about it either, yet what are our main priorities?

The league cup is a potential trophy and when all is said and done, people tend to think it's the easiest trophy out of all that we can enter, so if we play our strongest team, then we have a good chance of winning it.

It's a fair point in one way but it depends on who we get drawn against and who's taking the cup seriously among the elite clubs and also among the stronger clubs.

For instance, it's clear that Alex Ferguson put out a side that potentially could beat us, yet his priority probably was in giving his young future stars the benefit of action at a higher level, which in fairness, Alan Pardew was doing in giving priority to the fringe players and youngsters with potential because win or lose, it aids in their development because of the better quality football being among the experienced players.

We could have won that game last night and we didn't go out with a whimper. It took 2 good strikes to beat us, yet we had a host of chances to also put that game to bed.

It didn't work out but equally we could have been playing doncaster or someone with a stronger squad and got knocked out with maybe injuries as the smaller teams tend to want their pound of flesh and battle like demons which usually evens games up against bigger clubs, yet a defeat against Doncaster would create a fans backlash as in, they're not up for the fight.

Against Man Utd, we were up for the fight and could easily be in the next round for the sake of a bit of good fortune.

We played Colo who has just came back from injury and got some much needed game time, the same as Tiote and Cisse has just kicked off his season with his goal and performance and very nearly a goal of the season, so there's plusses in that added to Bigirimana, Ferguson, Vuckic, Tavernier and Elliot all getting more game time in of which all of them will take big heart from a game like this which will benefit us as the season goes on.

Our priorities , considering we are still a club in transition, should be the league (high finish, possibly top 6 but a top 4 hope), then Europa, then the FA cup.

We cannot play our strongest team in all competitions for obvious reasons as injury and suspensions will inevitably take their toll as will fatigue.

Any Sunday league player or armchair fitness fanatics will say, " look at the money they are on, they should be able to play 3 times a week all year round."

Yes you do get people saying that but the reality of it , is gone with people like that because they don't see the training and fitness work that goes into getting players ready for just 1 game, never mind a few off the bounce and the pace of the game, which any ordinary person can see will wipe out most top players if they had to play in every game.

For this club to prosper, we have to look at all competitions and prioritise them whilst also bringing through the very people who are being groomed for the future of this club, which are the youngsters, who the club appear fully focused on using in the very near future, who require a taste of the action at certain times throughout the season whether it's from the bench or in competitions.

Raising the profile of the club will not come on the back of winning the league cup, if we suffer for that with a low league finish.

If the club want to raise it's profile, it needs to concentrate on the bread and butter of what builds it, which in fairness would be a high league finish with Euro qualification again, or better as in Champions league, which will show that we as a club are continuing to progress, which makes us much more of a proposition to future potential signings.

We aren't yet in a position to field 2 full on strong sides like Chelsea and Man City etc, can do, so we have to play it carefully.

Just think if we played the best possible side last night and narrowly got beat, yet we ended up with a few injuries that required a few weeks to clear up....

Certain fans would be up in arms shouting, " Pardew, you useless bastard, why risk putting out the best players for a Mickey Mouse cup."

Yes...the very same people who scream about this cup being ultra important and want a full on strongest team ethic, would soon be on Pardew's back if anything went wrong and change their tune to, " why didn't he field the fringe players."

You can't win with some fans.

For those that are expectant on something this season...HOLD YOUR HORSES... we are still fighting for all but one trophy and it's a live in hope and should not be lived on any expectation of beating any team just because you think it's our time to win a cup because all fans of all clubs think the same and all clubs at the top end will prioritise, yet some will gamble relegation for the chance of cup success...we do not want to be one of those do we?

Williamson MUST GO

Gosling MUST GO

We're NUFC, these players are Championship level, it beggars belief how highly "Willo" is rated by the backroom team.

These are the same backroom team who rate Strola and have done for years.

Williamson MUST GO

Gosling MUST GO

totally agree and hoy Marvuax (sp) in

totally agree and hoy Marvuax (sp) in

Must admit Im lacking patience with Marveaux. Only thing stopping me hoying him on the heap is his past record elsewhere and the fact that Ben Arfa to quite a while to come good last year. That said I would rather see Ferguson and Sameobi come off the bench than him at the minute so not sure how we get him right.

Williamson MUST GO...................We finished 5th with the very same Williamson last season.

Gosling MUST GO...............I think Gosling is starting to show promise after being injured for so long.

Obertan MUST GO if he doesn't improve...........I also think Obertan is showing a bit more promise, albeit slowly.

Vuckic NOT ATHLETIC ENOUGH....I don't understand what you mean by this.

Aye, we are NUFC....we aren't Real Madrid yet.

Willo is rated by the backroom staff because they see a hell of a lot more than you do and Willo is better than people make him out to be.

Granted he's no world beater but he's effective and has proved it.

When we have a team full of world beaters, we will see a bulging trophy cabinet of all cups from top to bottom.... A little tip though....don't hold your breath because as you say.."we are NUFC" and don;t possess the Billion pounds it would take to purchase those world beaters.

Be thankful we have a team that can compete and not get humiliated like we have done in the past.

Must admit Im lacking patience with Marveaux. Only thing stopping me hoying him on the heap is his past record elsewhere and the fact that Ben Arfa to quite a while to come good last year. That said I would rather see Ferguson and Sameobi come off the bench than him at the minute so not sure how we get him right.

You could see with BArfa though he was just trying to be too flashy and do too much. Marveaux is just lazy.

Aye, we are NUFC....we aren't Real Madrid yet.

Willo is rated by the backroom staff because they see a hell of a lot more than you do and Willo is better than people make him out to be.

Granted he's no world beater but he's effective and has proved it.

When we have a team full of world beaters, we will see a bulging trophy cabinet of all cups from top to bottom.... A little tip though....don't hold your breath because as you say.."we are NUFC" and don;t possess the Billion pounds it would take to purchase those world beaters.

Be thankful we have a team that can compete and not get humiliated like we have done in the past.

We're NUFC and we're not fucking Leeds or Burnley neither.

"Willo" is not better than people make him out to be, he's slow, he's poor on the ball, hesitant and panicky, everything you don't want a centre half to be. Bramble is a much better footballer than "Willo", people who disagree don't know the game.

Edited by McFaul

We're NUFC and we're not fucking Leeds or Burnley neither.

"Willo" is not better than people make him out to be, he's slow, he's poor on the ball, hesitant and panicky, everything you don't want a centre half to be. Bramble is a much better footballer than "Willo", people who disagree don't know the game.

All you are doing is picking out the bad parts of Willo's game and totally overlooking the good parts.

Willo is no ball playing Coloccini, he is a towering centre half who's job is to stop the oppo both on the ground and in the air, plus get rid of the ball when required.

In the air, he is very good and does a lot more than people think both defensively and offensively.

Can we get better? Yes of course we can but he's been very good for us in the majority of games he's played in and is a big part of the reason we don't get tonked in some games.

If you can tell me how we finished 5th last season with Willo playing most of that season and being so nervy and shite, I'd like to hear it.

All you are doing is picking out the bad parts of Willo's game and totally overlooking the good parts.

Willo is no ball playing Coloccini, he is a towering centre half who's job is to stop the oppo both on the ground and in the air, plus get rid of the ball when required.

In the air, he is very good and does a lot more than people think both defensively and offensively.

Can we get better? Yes of course we can but he's been very good for us in the majority of games he's played in and is a big part of the reason we don't get tonked in some games.

If you can tell me how we finished 5th last season with Willo playing most of that season and being so nervy and shite, I'd like to hear it.

Luck. We were lucky cunts last season, all Williamson can do is head the ball.

We finished 5th because we had a Premier League Team of the Year centre half at the back, an amazing goalkeeper and a tonne of luck. That's nearly as bad as people who merited Pardews decision to not drop Obertan for Ben Arfa because we were winning. He was still playing shit but because the rest of the team made up for it we won anyway. Williamson isn't technical like Colo or even THAT impressive physically. When Stevie says Bramble is better he's right. What Bramble lacked in the technical game he made up by using his strength. Not that I'm advocating signing anyone like Bramble, who's still not our level.

Lucky?

Bollocks...we finished 5th because we deserved it, not because of luck mate.

With +5 GD. It was a perfect storm of that enabled us to come 5th. Our first eleven is alright we'll give anyone a game, after that it's like Mad Max, there's nothing but footballing desolation. Mike Williamson is part of that.

We finished 5th because we had a Premier League Team of the Year centre half at the back, an amazing goalkeeper and a tonne of luck. That's nearly as bad as people who merited Pardews decision to not drop Obertan for Ben Arfa because we were winning. He was still playing shit but because the rest of the team made up for it we won anyway. Williamson isn't technical like Colo or even THAT impressive physically. When Stevie says Bramble is better he's right. What Bramble lacked in the technical game he made up by using his strength. Not that I'm advocating signing anyone like Bramble, who's still not our level.

No, williamson isn't technical and is no match for ball playing skills like Colo...infact many centre halves are not in Colo's class in the technical area.

Willo is a beast in the air though and it seems to get overlooked because all people focus on , is seems, is at times he gets caught up in the ball or he regularly hoofs the ball down field to clear, even when not under pressure.

He's a no nonesense centre back who does his job in most cases , very effectively.

Taylor and Colo are my first choice but Willo is a decent back up, even at this level.

It's a bit of both, luck was on our side for once. Man United are lucky but it doesn't stop them winning titles. Watch QPR away and try not to say we had a lot of luck.

All teams have luck and we are no different but it's all swings and roundabouts in the good and bad luck stakes.

Yes we rode our luck against Q.P.R but many teams rode their luck against us, so as I said, we finished 5th because we deserved it.