Newcastle United v Bordeaux

Christmas Tree

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wallonia is just an old French province. The beer making traditions from Trappists etc is as much a feature of Nord Pas De Calais as it is in Belgium. Stevie's diagnosis of the culture in Wallonia is incidentally a reflection on north eastern french culture. The people in Flanders are nowt like the Walloons but you wouldn't notice that in Brussels as they all speak French there anyway. The Walloons are French, the Flanders lot are Dutch hence the country itself always feels a bit pointless to me.

As for the similarities with the north east, interestingly that whole region between Lille and Brussels was known as the Miners Basin.

Wallonia is just an old French province. The beer making traditions from Trappists etc is as much a feature of Nord Pas De Calais as it is in Belgium. Stevie's diagnosis of the culture in Wallonia is incidentally a reflection on north eastern french culture. The people in Flanders are nowt like the Walloons but you wouldn't notice that in Brussels as they all speak French there anyway. The Walloons are French, the Flanders lot are Dutch hence the country itself always feels a bit pointless to me.

As for the similarities with the north east, interestingly that whole region between Lille and Brussels was known as the Miners Basin.

Aye. I'm not claiming to be Alan Whicker here ye knaa, I've just been to Northern France, Belgium and Holland a good few times, for football and other journeys. I've been to Lille twice, I've been to Lens which is fucking tiny, and they're very very like Northern England. They're not like the curled up lip French stereotype at all, and I'd say the people in Lens were mint, to say they were expecting a major riot. The police were cunts though. I've been to Antwerp, Bruges, Brussels, Charleroi and Liege, and the first two are very different from the last two for the exact reasons Chez alluded to. It's like two countries, the top end look like dutch, the bottom look like they're from Burnley with a hint of Phillipe Albert about them. People say Belgium is boring, I think it's a fuckin mint country, and the perfect place to go and watch football. I tell you what though, they're not as passionate about their national team as most countries are, again possibly because it's a divided country.

One thing I hated about Brussels and I say this with no racial connotations, but it can feel like you're in Istanbul, think of Pakistani's in Bradford but in an international city, which was a very bad thing just 3 months after the Turks murdered those two Leeds fans.

I lived in Belgium for 6 years but was too young to really appreciate it. Been back a couple of times and is always great... Always funny to try my very very basic French out.

Spoke with a lad out there and he said to be able to work in the centre you need to be able to speak French, Dutch, Flemish and English.

Don't know whether it was just when I go, but Brussels has the most unreliable transport system I've seen. Every train I went on was delayed with no reason!

I lived in Belgium for 6 years but was too young to really appreciate it. Been back a couple of times and is always great... Always funny to try my very very basic French out.

Spoke with a lad out there and he said to be able to work in the centre you need to be able to speak French, Dutch, Flemish and English.

Don't know whether it was just when I go, but Brussels has the most unreliable transport system I've seen. Every train I went on was delayed with no reason!

I always understood dutch and flemish to be the same thing John?

The most pointless place I've been to is Luxembourg.

Not quite so pointless when you consider the average person earns £71,000 p/a year.

Liechtenstein now there is a pointless country I've been to. There is not one reason why it should exist.