Newcastle players who have shown loyalty.

wolfy

Alan Shearer has to be up there for loyalty.

Even though he left as a youngster to go to Southampton and then to Blackburn. He came back to Newcastle and gave his all for the cause.

Naturally he's from Newcastle but it doesn't always guarantee loyalty as Andy Carroll has proved.

What I liked about the loyalty Shearer showed was his attitude to every game for us which was top class and his desire to bust a gut to get us a trophy, which unfortunately passed him by, which I'm gutted for him but not as much as he will be gutted for himself and the club.

I also admire him because he stayed loyal to the end when he had many chances to cut and run and also there were clubs offering more money than we were paying to get his services.

He had the chance of Man Utd and guaranteed trophies, yet he chose to give his all to the Newcastle cause.

Ok I've started. Who do you think has proved loyalty and what makes them stand out specifically in your opinion?

In recent times Colo and Jonas. Colo especially has pretty much dragged us back into a position where we can whinge about not finished in the top 10 again. Fantastic club captain so far.

Agreed.

Has Colo been loyal though? He cost a lot of money and is on a big wage. Given how bad his first season was it was never going to be easy to shift him when we went down. That image of him being a donkey with dodgy hair, unfairly, took a while to shake off and it was only really last season when he got the recognition he deserved. By which time he's knocking on a bit, still on big wages and we would want a pretty penny for him as he's our captain. Has he really had much in the way of opportunities to move on?

Arguably Jonas would have been a far more attractive option to other clubs as he received quite a bit of praise from the start, we paid a lot less and I think his wages are quite a bit less. I would imagine their would have been inquiries about him that he wasn't interested in.

Have Harper and Shola been loyal or to lazy to move on to find regular first team football?

Well, this is open to debate and it could be a bit of both maybe. The fact is though, if the club wanted to move them on against their will, they could have , yet the club have stood by them for maybe seeing enough in them as very good back up, plus the fact that they are both actually loyal and are rewarded for that. Maybe.

:lol: Colo is a renowned, international defender who could've hand-picked his clubs by leaving us instead of spending a year in the championship.

One of the best centre backs this club has had.

In the last 2 years he is. His first season here was Bramble-esque in some games

Coloccini and Gutierrez were both on silly money (£3-4m per year each) - they'd have been mad to leave, even when we were relegated. Nobody would offer them similar elsewhere.

To be fair to them, they've stuck at it and been model professionals throughout their time here.

I also agree that we'd have struggled to give Coloccini away after his first season here. He bulked up over the summer and gained a hell of a lot from his season in the Championship and hasn't looked back since.

I don't think there is such a thing as loyalty in football. "Loyal" players are those who are either paid enough to stop them going elsewhere or those who aren't good enough to attract the interest of any other clubs. Xisco has been incredibly loyal.

In the last 2 years he is. His first season here was Bramble-esque in some games

This is a fact. I'm not knocking Colo at all, he's an absolutely brilliant player for us (possibly my favorite at the club) and along with Woodgate is the best defender I've ever seen here. But it has to be said that his first season was a mare and at the time of our relegation he was looked at as an almost comedy figure by other fans, the press and even a lot of our own fans. His reputation in this country was basically zero. In Spain he would have still had a reputation but his wages and price tag would have put teams off (not many clubs in Spain will pay £10m+ for centreback and the ones that could wouldn't have been interested at the time) so we would have been basically left with loaning him out and quite possibly given the investment in him, the club wasn't interested in that.

He may have had little option but to dig in and try and resurrect his career here.

Coloccini and Gutierrez were both on silly money (£3-4m per year each) - they'd have been mad to leave, even when we were relegated. Nobody would offer them similar elsewhere.

To be fair to them, they've stuck at it and been model professionals throughout their time here.

I also agree that we'd have struggled to give Coloccini away after his first season here. He bulked up over the summer and gained a hell of a lot from his season in the Championship and hasn't looked back since.

I don't think there is such a thing as loyalty in football. "Loyal" players are those who are either paid enough to stop them going elsewhere or those who aren't good enough to attract the interest of any other clubs. Xisco has been incredibly loyal.

To be honest this is what I was getting at. I just wanted to see if anyone else picked up on it.

Shearer wanted to be here largely because he loves the club. But it also cost us a hell of a lot to keep him loyal. If the wages hadn't been there I'm not convinced he would have turned down Manure!

Obviously, Peter Beardsley has been a very loyal servant of this club and it never seemed to be down to money with him.

Back in those days though, there wasn't much money in it. The average top division wage was reasonably in line with the national average for someone in employment. Now it's about £1.6m a year!

Back then, money wasn't much a factor. It was more about playing for a club where you'd be happy, where you'd develop and potentially where you'd have the best chance of playing for the national side.

Warren Barton was and still is very loyal to Newcastle. He came in from Wimbledon as part of Keegan's team build and practically walked to the club to make sure he signed.

He was that excited to sign that when Keegan asked him what wage he required, Barton said' I'll leave that up to you.'

As Barton himself said, ' I knew Keegan would get me a fair wage, so I wasn't bothered..I just wanted to be a part of this club.'

He still classes us as his club to this day.

Warren Barton was and still is very loyal to Newcastle. He came in from Wimbledon as part of Keegan's team build and practically walked to the club to make sure he signed.

He was that excited to sign that when Keegan asked him what wage he required, Barton said' I'll leave that up to you.'

As Barton himself said, ' I knew Keegan would get me a fair wage, so I wasn't bothered..I just wanted to be a part of this club.'

He still classes us as his club to this day.

See for me this is about as much loyalty as you can expect. It's no surprise that a player from Wimbledon would want to be part of what we had going here at the time but what is lovely to see is that the club and its fans had an effect on him and earned a place in his heart. Beresford and Bobby Lee are much the same. So are Ferdinand and Ginola to an extent but their feelings are more divided as they had great relationships with Spurs too and they were only here for a couple of seasons.

It's no surprise though to see ex players who were here when time were good supporting the club. You might not get the same from John Robertson or Bassong!

Alan Shearer has to be up there for loyalty.

Even though he left as a youngster to go to Southampton and then to Blackburn. He came back to Newcastle and gave his all for the cause.

Naturally he's from Newcastle but it doesn't always guarantee loyalty as Andy Carroll has proved.

What I liked about the loyalty Shearer showed was his attitude to every game for us which was top class and his desire to bust a gut to get us a trophy, which unfortunately passed him by, which I'm gutted for him but not as much as he will be gutted for himself and the club.

I also admire him because he stayed loyal to the end when he had many chances to cut and run and also there were clubs offering more money than we were paying to get his services.

He had the chance of Man Utd and guaranteed trophies, yet he chose to give his all to the Newcastle cause.

Ok I've started. Who do you think has proved loyalty and what makes them stand out specifically in your opinion?

Absolute bollocks regarding Shearer by the way, Wolfy. :lol:

Shearer was sounded out whilst at Southampton but didn't want to drop into the 2nd division to play for us which is fair enough for an ambitious player. He gets the chance to sign for Man U or the up and coming challengers who happen to be his boyhood club and have his childhood hero as a manager so chooses us. If we were a midtable side there's no chance he would've signed. By the time our stock falls then Shearer has had his serious injury and has lost his pace. However, he is the symbol of NUFC greatness in Freddies eyes and is guaranteed to be the highest paid player on our books. He is also under contract at this time. There's no way another club would've paid millions for him and matched his wages at this point in Al's career to persuade Shepherd to sell so the loyalty thing is a bit tenuous to put it mildly.

Shearer was sounded out whilst at Southampton but didn't want to drop into the 2nd division to play for us which is fair enough for an ambitious player. He gets the chance to sign for Man U or the up and coming challengers who happen to be his boyhood club and have his childhood hero as a manager so chooses us. If we were a midtable side there's no chance he would've signed. By the time our stock falls then Shearer has had his serious injury and has lost his pace. However, he is the symbol of NUFC greatness in Freddies eyes and is guaranteed to be the highest paid player on our books. He is also under contract at this time. There's no way another club would've paid millions for him and matched his wages at this point in Al's career to persuade Shepherd to sell so the loyalty thing is a bit tenuous to put it mildly.

Just to add he shouldve been replaced two seasons before he evetually retired but Sir Bobby was sacked before he could. Souness, Roeder and espcially Shepherd all indulged Shearer in his ambition to become the all time top scorer at the club, overtaking Jackie Milburn. Pity he didnt win the medals Jackie did but there you go..not his fault individually of course, but it does show how the club was run at the time. According to Sir Bob's book Houllier put a bid in for him around 2002, which was turned down by the club. Shearer found out via his agent and had a go at Sir Bob, asking him why he didnt get the chance to speak to LFC. So much for "loyalty" ;)

I was on about his loyalty once he signed for us.