Dad Advice

Christmas Tree

8 year old currently has a Wii she often plays on, my old ex box 360 and an old nintendo ds.

Today at the metro centre we saw something called a ps vita? and a wii u

Both look like hand held gamey thingys.

Are these the two market leaders?

Are they stand alon or do you need the normal console?

Is one better than the other?

Santa would like some help. :)

the Wii U isn't a handheld, its the followup to the Wii, full size console.

the Vita is a handheld, Sonys effort, high tech stuff, more adult games etc

the nintendo Handheld (might be more an 8 year olds thing) is the 3DS

Wii U is the new Wii. It has an updated controller that is more involved than the old one.

PS Vita is a handheld gaming device - you play hands on the screen on it rather than on the TV.

Best bet is to go on YouTube and have a look at some videos of what they're each about.

My cousins are 6 and 9 and both have Nintendo 3DS and love them. If you want something handheld I'd recommend the 3DS as there are more games aimed at younger kids than there are for the other hanhelds.

Cheers fellas. At least that narrows it down a bit. She used to have the older DS lite but seems more keen on her Wii.

Not sure of the difference between this 3d and PS Vista.

She had a go off the PS in Game on Fifa and was quite taken by it.

Wii U will be a canny option if you pick up the likes of Mario with it. The controller also acts as a tablet where she can play it through there without needing the telly. As said, if you want to get her a handheld, the 3DS is the best choice. Loads of cheap kid-oriented games about as well, I imagine.

We got our 5yo a 3DS. Prob best thing for kids games. Id the Wii to similarly have a good range of kids titles but the PS one I'd think more adult games.

They're just different things. One is a console and one she can take with her when you go on holiday and that.

The 3DS definitely seems to be an anti bawling device for kids on planes.

The PS Vita is a go anywhere anti bawling device as well.

Aye, the Vita is a canny piece of kit but the 3DS has every Nintendo franchise imaginable and kids fucking love Kirby and Pokemon. The Wii U will have those games but on a larger scale like. What she's got on the Wii? Mario etc or just the Wii Sports type stuff?

If you're buying it to secretly play on it when she goes to bed, the Vita will have games more to your liking though.

Aye, the Vita is a canny piece of kit but the 3DS has every Nintendo franchise imaginable and kids fucking love Kirby and Pokemon. The Wii U will have those games but on a larger scale like. What she's got on the Wii? Mario etc or just the Wii Sports type stuff?

If you're buying it to secretly play on it when she goes to bed, the Vita will have games more to your liking though.

:lol:

Thinking more to use in the Taxi when she's at school ;)

It's no good I'm going to have to view the 3ds. The fact she's had a DS lite for a couple of years and doesn't bother with it made me think shed outgrown it.

She seemed to take to the Vita like a duck to water but agree with what others have said as to whether there are enough games available ( although she was loving Fifa and going on about something called little big planet?? which was also available.

• 5 years later...

Fast Forward 6 years :(

Daughter now decided she wants an Xbox because her friends all have them and are playing some game called Fortnight.

My question is this:

Grainger games sell the 500gb console and controller (no bundled game) for £189. Lots of places seem to sell bundles for £229.

Daughter isn’t interested in the games that come free so am I missing something or should I just buy the £189 job.

Ideally I would have wanted a free extra controller bundle but doesn’t seem to be any about.

• 1 month later...