Southampton Away

ToonArmy1993

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He won't take any kind of hit providing we stay in the PL for the next decade and the bean counting continues at current pace. Me and other might scream like bitches about transfer windows and wether Pards needs glasses but it is the equivalent of screaming in space where the fat one is concerned: 'Nobody can hear you'.

Not seen a post on here I've agreed with more. Thats why I've virtually given up bitching about him...he's going fuckin nowhere, its pointless.You can whinge on about not strenghtning this summer, but hes employed the same system since we came back up. Am just shouting for 11 shirts now, the actual institution that is NUFC is nothing to be proud of in 2012...not sure if it ever has been to a large extent but Ashley has been making people fuckin miserable since the day he walked in.

Having said all that, if we were to take the view that since the group thing started in this Europa league format that all clubs see a fall away in their league form if they the clubs take it even half seriously..Spurs and Stoke did last season, but Spurs were bolstered by 30 mill from the champions league the season before that and rallied late on once theyd made sure they weren't fucking about in the Europa after christmas. Spurs weren't in Europe at all the season they qualified for the champions league. We weren't last season. And we wont be next season either. So...can we expect better next season?....being charitable towards Ashley, it was always going to happen like this,bit by bit We need....

Not seen a post on here I've agreed with more. Thats why I've virtually given up bitching about him...he's going fuckin nowhere, its pointless.You can whinge on about not strenghtning this summer, but hes employed the same system since we came back up. Am just shouting for 11 shirts now, the actual institution that is NUFC is nothing to be proud of in 2012...not sure if it ever has been to a large extent but Ashley has been making people fuckin miserable since the day he walked in.

Having said all that, if we were to take the view that since the group thing started in this Europa league format that all clubs see a fall away in their league form if they the clubs take it even half seriously..Spurs and Stoke did last season, but Spurs were bolstered by 30 mill from the champions league the season before that and rallied late on once theyd made sure they weren't fucking about in the Europa after christmas. Spurs weren't in Europe at all the season they qualified for the champions league. We weren't last season. And we wont be next season either. So...can we expect better next season?....being charitable towards Ashley, it was always going to happen like this,bit by bit We need....

Clearly you need a bigger squad for the Europa league now than was needed in the past when it was a straightforward knockout competition. The problem is that the additional revenue that it brings doesn't seem to be enough to actually pay for the signings . I think the whole format needs to be changed as it's more of a hindrance than benefit playing in the competition these days. And by in large the fans are showing this by not bothering to turn out in any great numbers any more. Aside from a brilliant trip to Brugge, the competition has been a washout so far!

Clearly you need a bigger squad for the Europa league now than was needed in the past when it was a straightforward knockout competition. The problem is that the additional revenue that it brings doesn't seem to be enough to actually pay for the signings . I think the whole format needs to be changed as it's more of a hindrance than benefit playing in the competition these days. And by in large the fans are showing this by not bothering to turn out in any great numbers any more. Aside from a brilliant trip to Brugge, the competition has been a washout so far!

The benefit is playing in europe which is a great thing to share with the fans and in terms of promoting your club abroad. If all you think about is pennies and pounds then no, the Europa league isnt that great.

Which is probably what Mike and Dekka decided when they made the decision not to bolster the squad.

THAT BEING SAID, Europa league has had zero effect on our turgid displays this year for the simple reason that we have fielded basically our reserve squad and still come out okay.

Its the first team that has been disappointiing in the league and it has very little to do with the EL. Ok you get fewer days with your dossiers and files to analyze to death the other team in order to "contain and control" but I find this approach laughable in the first place. Its not how Ferguson and Wenger does it and he should focus on our own attacking threat setup and stop pissing his pants about the other teams on a weekly basis.

It's daft to not consider that playing in Europe is hampering our league performances. You yourself have already questioned what we are doing in training to work on our attack. Well the answer is simple, we are not getting the time to do what's necessary!

And we have clearly played a number of senior players in the games. Raylor and Ben Arfa have both picked up their injuries in Europe and even when the senior players are only on the bench it effects their preparation. We are also chopping and changing the team every few days so unless you have two completely different teams (League and Europe) then that's going to disrupt things.

It's not the only issue and I do think Pardew needs to sort things out rather than whinging about the additional games and injuries, but you can't just ignore these things or you just look like a mong!

I wish people would stop talking about Shepherd's debt like he fucking spent in Aspers or lost it down the settee. The VAST majority of it was the loan to rebuild the stadium. A worthy reason for getting in debt.

The amount of debt at the takeover equates very nicely to the "take" of the Halls and Shepherds tenure.

The Bowyer summer, which is when we really screwed up IMO, they excercised financial restraint on the football side yet managed to find £9 Mill in dividends that same year. It was only ever, and always was, about the money.

The stadium was less than half the debt BTW.

p.s. re your earlier "never damaged the brand" comment - I give you the Fake Shiek for starters.

Edited by Toonpack

It's daft to not consider that playing in Europe is hampering our league performances. You yourself have already questioned what we are doing in training to work on our attack. Well the answer is simple, we are not getting the time to do what's necessary!

And we have clearly played a number of senior players in the games. Raylor and Ben Arfa have both picked up their injuries in Europe and even when the senior players are only on the bench it effects their preparation. We are also chopping and changing the team every few days so unless you have two completely different teams (League and Europe) then that's going to disrupt things.

It's not the only issue and I do think Pardew needs to sort things out rather than whinging about the additional games and injuries, but you can't just ignore these things or you just look like a mong!

Ryan taylor isnt a first XI player. Ben arfa got injured in the last game which was the first time he played.

Preparation...

I seem to remember Bobbys side skinning teams on saturday afternoon after mid-week european jaunts... It doesnt wash with me. The preparation should be the same regardless of who we face.

Work on our possession, build up play and passing instead of the 24-hour DVD marathons on the other team :lol:

Loving reading some of the "we were right" posts that are flying about.

Some who predicted a poorer show this season also predicted doom and gloom in the championship, a relegation fight the following year and mid table also rans last year.

I guess even a stopped watch is right sometimes.

Ryan taylor isnt a first XI player. Ben arfa got injured in the last game which was the first time he played.

Preparation...

I seem to remember Bobbys side skinning teams on saturday afternoon after mid-week european jaunts... It doesnt wash with me. The preparation should be the same regardless of who we face.

Work on our possession, build up play and passing instead of the 24-hour DVD marathons on the other team :lol:

Raylor arguably would have played a hell of a lot this season had he been fit and what difference does it make if Ben Arfa got injured in the first European game or the last? He's still injured because he was playing there.

Under Robson we simply had a better team and didn't pick up the injuries. That's not rocket science.

Loving reading some of the "we were right" posts that are flying about.

Some who predicted a poorer show this season also predicted doom and gloom in the championship, a relegation fight the following year and mid table also rans last year.

I guess even a stopped watch is right sometimes.

You should dig out the posts to back that up.

Raylor arguably would have played a hell of a lot this season had he been fit and what difference does it make if Ben Arfa got injured in the first European game or the last? He's still injured because he was playing there.

Under Robson we simply had a better team and didn't pick up the injuries. That's not rocket science.

Where would he play, I wouldnt play him over either simpson or santon. midfield? Fucking hell...

Re Ben arfa he has not been affected by the EL up until now so our domestic performances have been unaffected - get it?

Where would he play, I wouldnt play him over either simpson or santon. midfield? Fucking hell...

Re Ben arfa he has not been affected by the EL up until now so our domestic performances have been unaffected - get it?

Well I'd be very tempted to play him ahead of Simpson on occasion at least. I agree there's no way he'd get in ahead of Santon. Midfield is also a possibility given the amount of time Obertan/Ferguson/Sameobi have had. We have been very short of decent delivery and he can certainly do that. Of course, as always, some players get better the longer they are out. Raylor is not someone who'd I'd ideally have in the team but given the injuries and form of players this season he would definitely have been very useful.

Did Ben Arfa not miss the Southampton game because of an injury he suffered in Europe. So it did effect the match that this thread is about then!

Sensible post, Cant disagree with much of that - Ben arfa did not play because of EL against Soton - true. But its not like we have been playing champagne fotball up until now anyway.

Re Taylor, he is a utility player at best. I would not ever start him because he lacks the basic fotballing skills that even Danny Simpson seem to (occationally) possess.

He is a poor fotballer with a beckhamesque freekick delivery and thats about it.

I think you're going overboard about either how bad Raylor is or how good Simpson is. But either way I agree I would hope we would always be able not to start him but this season we certainly would have been and think he may well have improved us.

And no we've not been playing well but the my point is that the injuries and tiredness from playing in Europe has taken it's toll. If things are going well it's likely that tiredness wouldn't have been coming into play but when you go through a bad patch it kicks in. That's a fact of life and certainly not something that's unique to us. I would say that this is something that Pardew has to work on and get past though.

Well I'd be very tempted to play him ahead of Simpson on occasion at least. I agree there's no way he'd get in ahead of Santon. Midfield is also a possibility given the amount of time Obertan/Ferguson/Sameobi have had. We have been very short of decent delivery and he can certainly do that. Of course, as always, some players get better the longer they are out. Raylor is not someone who'd I'd ideally have in the team but given the injuries and form of players this season he would definitely have been very useful.

Did Ben Arfa not miss the Southampton game because of an injury he suffered in Europe. So it did effect the match that this thread is about then!

Raylor (depite his lower than some "rating"/ability) was part of our "best defence in years" last season. He is a miss IMO

I think you're going overboard about either how bad Raylor is or how good Simpson is. But either way I agree I would hope we would always be able not to start him but this season we certainly would have been and think he may well have improved us.

And no we've not been playing well but the my point is that the injuries and tiredness from playing in Europe has taken it's toll. If things are going well it's likely that tiredness wouldn't have been coming into play but when you go through a bad patch it kicks in. That's a fact of life and certainly not something that's unique to us. I would say that this is something that Pardew has to work on and get past though.

That tiredness is broadcasted to the world every time he speaks, is this really the best way of preparing for games?

Perhaps not, although I doubt opposition managers take that much notice of it. When you do things like that though it does come across as setting out your excuse before you start though which is never something I like.

They dont notice the fact that the oppositions manager come out few days beforehand and states that "the squad is shot"?

If he doesnt, I bet the players will.

Raylor (depite his lower than some "rating"/ability) was part of our "best defence in years" last season. He is a miss IMO

Aye, I dont rate him as a defender at all, but he's certainly more of a 'footballer' than Simpson.

Complete opposite for me, Raylor cant even get the basics right - he made SWP look like angel di maria on the flank last season.

Simpson at least have the general competence to do his duties as a wingback defensively. He just offers the square root of fuck all going forward.

I at least somewhat trust simmo defensively. With Raylor anything could happen.

Edited by Lake Bells tits

I said a better footballer, not defender. Meant his passing is better, more comfortable on the ball. He's not dead scared of the ball like Simpson is. Actually Im not sure about the defensive part either, Simpson's positioning is bloody awful. What hurts Taylor is his complete lack of pace which was exposed in games like the one at home against Chelsea.

yup, but pace is pretty fucking important for a fullback - if you dont have it the winger will quickly notice and then all hell is loose.

Bollocks, some of the best fullbacks have hardly been particularly "pacey", certainly never as much a flyer as a winger otherwise they'd have all been wingers. It's all about the defensive unit working as a unit and scheme/positioning, and having a football brain that can work in the scheme. No professional footballer is particularly "slow" and really "electric" wingers are few and far between.