Southampton Away

ToonArmy1993

Absolutely. The £70m debt following the rebuild in 2001 was money well spent. But the profits from increased capacity should be used to pay down that debt. 7 years later it had grown to £110m though.

You got a link showing the redevelopment cost £70m?

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest asset MA has is that he IS an entrepeneur. He is actually a very fast train waiting in a station for the right opportunity to come along. He might not realise it yet, but our club is actually a very big oppurtunity for him, not just as a vehicle for his sports goods chain but also as a venture that is gradually opening his mind to the bigger stage. He doesn't lack vision, he has it in bucketloads...The key will be when the right situation comes along where he feels more comfotable alligning himself to a bigger cause (the football club).

I think in the early days his fatuous and slightly childlike approach got his fingers burnt (that orc Allardyce) with regard to the financial environment going against him. But the core profitability is changing for the better with bigger and bigger TV money and now some sniffs at the wider european market. People think he is an odious person and like any entrepenuer he is self-centered and egotistical and in that way a little silly. But I forsee a time when he will give in and fall in love with football (will need a manager who can sell him the dream - KK was a little too extreme for him and it was too early).

The financial mural in the world being as it is right now MA has in many ways saved the club and guranteed a modicum of success. But right now he lacks the confidence and intution because he is still learing about football.

Intuition comes with identifying circumstances that alligne with the de ja vous of the subconscious.There will come a time however when he will take a gamble with us and work with his need to have fun (there is no doubt he likes fun). I guarantee it. He isn't the type to sit still. I don't really care if he's a cunt or not...Cunts make money. Money buys time. Time is the key to the creative unconscious.

Edited by Park Life

You got a link showing the redevelopment cost £70m?

I'm probably way off. Thought I'd be kind though.

The latest accounts I have are 2004, which state...

Net debt at 31 July 2004 decreased by £5.7m to £37.2m.

That would suggests that the stadium expansion did not make up the VAST majority of the £110m debt Ashley inherited though :confused:

We're not paying interest on the debt so it doesn't matter now. The only danger would come if we got mixed up in a Gillette and Hicks style fuckover and the debt is transfered back to the club.

The debt is on the club afaia. The only way EY will sign off on the accounts is because that they get assurances from Ashley that he'll continue to fund the club for another year.

The debt is on the club afaia. The only way EY will sign off on the accounts is because that they get assurances from Ashley that he'll continue to fund the club for another year.

St James Holdings carry the debt. That's an Ashley vehicle. The club isn't servicing the debt. Him signing is normal practice. If someone can show me interest payments coming off the bottom line then that's a different matter.

He will pay this debt down as it will make the club more attractive for sale which gives him another option. Although I think he now realises that if the club don't buy latte's everyday that it can make a profit.

Edited by Park Life

Would it be fair to suggest that searching online for our debt situation in 2004 will get you no further than Ashley did in 2007 when he looked at buying the club and missed large chunks of debt?

I honestly don't think he looked or cared. At the time his paper worth was nearer 2billion. It's like if Abramovich wants a new yacht, he just wants a new yacht. I could build the mould in Turkey and save him a couple of million but it would be embarassing suggesting this to him. :lol:

Would it be fair to suggest that searching online for our debt situation in 2004 will get you no further than Ashley did in 2007 when he looked at buying the club and missed large chunks of debt?

I think the problem was Ashley wouldn't pay the £1 to download the accounts.

the debt sits with the holding company....the only problem is when Ashley decides to sell and doesnt even see a third of what hes put into the club.

Putting money in and taking money out aren't real things. It makes sense to us when we go shopping or pay bills put with regard to companies it's as much fiction as Mickey Mouse.

For instance I could value the club at 400m and there is no fucker who could question that if I did it the right way. ;)

Edited by Park Life

I honestly don't think he looked or cared. At the time his paper worth was nearer 2billion. It's like if Abramovich wants a new yacht, he just wants a new yacht. I could build the mould in Turkey and save him a couple of million but it would be embarassing suggesting this to him. :lol:

It was more a point that trawling the internet to establish what debt existed pre-2007 could possibly be a futile exercise.

I can just see you now walking backwards out of the cabin, bowing down and grovelling to Abramovich with your latest design model in your hand.

Putting money in and taking money out aren't real things. It makes sense to us when we go shopping or pay bills put with regard to companies it's as much fiction as Mickey Mouse.

You think he's willing to take a hit of around 200million?...not sure. I just think it makes him very likely to be here a very long time.

It was more a point that trawling the internet to establish what debt existed pre-2007 could possibly be a futile exercise.

I can just see you now walking backwards out of the cabin, bowing down and grovelling to Abramovich with your latest design model in

your hand.

:)

You think he's willing to take a hit of around 200million?...not sure. I just think it makes him very likely to be here a very long time.

He won't take any kind of hit providing we stay in the PL for the next decade and the bean counting continues at current pace. Me and other might scream like bitches about transfer windows and wether Pards needs glasses but it is the equivalent of screaming in space where the fat one is concerned: 'Nobody can hear you'.

People need to wake up to the bigger picture, PL clubs are now franchises in a multinational called the PL a mulitnational that has cashflows of over 5-7 billion a year in trading, income and projected value (probably more acutally). The key is to positon our franchise nearer the head of the queue to suck up more money. The brand of the PL is being promoted worldwide now and we just need to stay on the train. Stay on the train...Never get off the train. :)

"While the Sturm and Drang of the Premier League soap opera thunders on, the chief executive Richard Scudamore has been clocking up the Air Miles. Last week, he flew to China to seal the latest in a dizzying series of overseas TV deals that will shape the future of a competition that is now as global as it is local.

On Thursday, Scudamore will brief the chairmen and chief executives of the 20 Premier League clubs on the latest progress and is likely to tell them that all of its overseas deals will be wrapped up by Christmas for the period from 2013-14 to 2015-16. Contracts covering the Middle East/north Africa and south-east Asia/Australasia should be tied up within the next fortnight, with the final round of European deals to follow before Christmas."

http://www.guardian....ague-tv-revenue

The biggest winners and losers, year on year in terms of improved and decreased payments were Newcastle and Aston Villa respectively. Newcastle’s total money went up £7m from £47.2m to £54.2m, while Villa’s went down £7m from £49m to £42m. See table below for full details, and compare with previous seasons: Payments for 2010-11 / Payments for 2009-10

Newcastle United as a business should have a target of 120m turnover in the short term this is attainable IMO.

Player wages at 55% (of turnover) would be the absolute ideal.

Edited by Park Life

He won't take any kind of hit providing we stay in the PL for the next decade and the bean counting continues at current pace. Me and other might scream like bitches about transfer windows and wether Pards needs glasses but it is the equivalent of screaming in space where the fat one is concerned: 'Nobody can hear you'.

I was guess that Ashley's has two immediate concerns: making the club self-sufficient and keeping us in the Premier League.

Long term he's likely hoping that an oil baron decides that he wants a toy or that the economy picks up and there's another barrow boy out there ready to make a big mistake.

Edited by ewerk

There's no trawling involved for me my friend. I have the accounts for every year stored in my "football" folder on dropbox :D

Stevies question was specifically about the stadium costs for the expansion that ended in 2001. He sugested that those costs make up the "vast majority" of the £110m debt Ashley inherited. However .com suggested the build cost was £42m and the (on the books) debt a couple of years later suggests that's about right.

My view of the "hidden" debt was that it was clever bookwork on future payments for past player trading. On the books, the debt come 2007 had grown to £70m, which was known publicly. I thought the other £40m was to be paid for Owen, Luque, Martins, Cort, Boumsong and all that lot? Not a dodgy cement deal for the stadium.

I was guess that Ashley's has two immediate concerns: making the club self-sufficient and keeping us in the Premier League.

Long term he's likely hoping that an oil baron decides that he wants a toy or that the economy picks up and there's another barrow boy out there ready to make a big mistake.

Ashley is in position A. For all the reasons Parky lays out. I can't imagine he would give selling a second thought right now if it wasn't for a significant profit.