The first team squad - Season 2013-2014

Anorthernsoul

In think Pardew is a good manager but got it wrong last year. You don't get manager of the year for nowt.

Seen him in the reserves a few times. Good with the ball at his feet playing it out. Solid lad. Him Satka and Mbabu are close to the first team squad.

Tiote deep as a destroyer is where we will get the most of him. Cabaye further forward passing and moving. Sissoko using his pace and power through the middle....players in their best positions...Cisse down the middle with Remy and Ben Arfa wide...

It's the best system using our best players in their best position. Simple really.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In think Pardew is a good manager but got it wrong last year. You don't get manager of the year for nowt.

Seen him in the reserves a few times. Good with the ball at his feet playing it out. Solid lad. Him Satka and Mbabu are close to the first team squad.

Tiote deep as a destroyer is where we will get the most of him. Cabaye further forward passing and moving. Sissoko using his pace and power through the middle....players in their best positions...Cisse down the middle with Remy and Ben Arfa wide...

It's the best system using our best players in their best position. Simple really.

Reckon it's too early for those two.

If I were to look at the 1st team squad I'd have it as starters, back-up and 3rd. Admittedly some of those that I've chosen as 3rd could possibly be back-up in a different pos (Sissoko could easily play Tiote's role I suppose), but the point is to highlight where I feel we're weakest.

Krul Elliot Alnwick

Debuchy Tavernier ? ???

Santon Haidara Dummett

Colo Mbiwa ???

Taylor Williamson Streete?

Tiote ??? ???

Cabaye Anita Gosling

Sissoko Bigirimana ???

Ben Arfa Marveaux Sammeobi

Remy Gouffran Obertan/Jonas

Cisse Shola Campbell

dpn.png

(I basically afforded each player a score out of ten based on how happy (or not )I am with them starting a league game against a mid-table team)

Edit - There, are you fucking happy?!

Edited by The Fish

great colour choice for the grey background ;)

It's fine for me. Perhaps you should not be such a whiney bitch and change your settings

:huff:

So, to counteract Fish's cataracts causing colour job, here's his list with me using common sense to add to it:

GK: Krul, Elliot, Alnwick
RB: Debuchy, Anita, Santon
LB: Santon, Haidara, Dummett
CB: Colo, Yanga-Mbiwa, Taylor, Williamson
CM: Tiote, Cabaye, Anita, Gosling, Sissoko, Bigirimana, Vuckic
Wide: Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Sammeobi, Remy, Gouffran, Obertan, Jonas
CF: Cisse, Shola, Campbell, Gouffran
Looking at that, I'd say we still need another centre forward (Gomis) and maybe another right back (as you wouldn't want Anita there all the time IMO). A proper winger would be canny but I wouldn't want us to play like that with the current squad anyway. Actually, we could do with a winger so Sammy doesn't get on very much.
I'd be looking at getting a keeper as well. Elliot doesn't fill me with confidence if Krul is out for a while.
Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

In the modern game it's better to play 2 withdrawn forwards and a striker.

The withdrawn forwards can line up in 4321

or a 433.

They can go wide or through the middle as the game dictates.

If you include Gouffran as a forward option you can include Remy, no? We still need another forward of course.

Wouldn't surprise me if we see him up top in a 4-4-2.

Shit, aye, forgot about that. I think we'll go 4-4-2 more often than not, especially if Gomis ends up costing £8 million with a rotating cast of Remy/Ben Arfa/Gouffran/Marveaux/Jonas playing on the wings.

In the modern game it's better to play 2 withdrawn forwards and a striker.

The withdrawn forwards can line up in 4321

or a 433.

They can go wide or through the middle as the game dictates.

I think the current crop would lend itself well to a 433 but I think Pardew will err on the side of caution. Rightfully so against Man City first game, mind tbf to him.

Aye, thought that as soon as he got fucked again. At that age where he might not recover properly, the poor fucker.

Could have done with his ability from a dead ball this season.