War films you've watched more than 3 times.

Park Life

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Memphis Belle My favorite !

Glory - Wonderful Film !

Escape to Victory

Platoon

Sink the Bismark

Das Boot

Tora! Tora! Tora!

To Kill a King

Full Metal Jacket (but only the first half)

The Charge or the Light Brigade

The Last of the Mohicans

Zulu

Henry V

Ice Cold In Alex

Hunt for Red October (?)

War films I suffered through once and only once.

Pearl Harbour

U 571

I have 300 on my Sky Box to watch I need wine and nibbles while I view all the six packs.

Edited by Jan

Give historical films a bad name and had to admit at the end it was the British that cracked the Enigma Machine.

Most filmakers use a bit of "artistic licence" and take a small liberty or two when depicting true events, but that film is an abomination.

Most filmakers use a bit of "artistic licence" and take a small liberty or two when depicting true events, but that film is an abomination.

Not sure why it ever got made, it needs to be confined to film death like The Postman, Waterworld, Ishar, Heat and many more

Interesting. How do you mean?

Sorry about that, Parky, dishing up leftovers from our Cyprus fridge/freezer.

Some of those old films seemed to involve different nationalities, the longest day, where eagles dare and the great escape for starters. You also have a bridge too far where the 'world' bit in ww2 seems to get covered. I can't think of many modern war films if any at all where any British involvement is really shown, perhaps I should've said 'documentaries' as well or instead as the amount of d-day documentaries you see on discovery that only cover the US actions is really out of proportion to the actual numbers involved. (Just under half were American forces, over half were British and commonwealth forces). It's probably more to do with a more modern US outlook where they are the only country who counts and why would Hollywood or the discovery channel show a point of view that isn't their own nation?

That's my own perception for what it's worth.

Glory - Wonderful Film !

Escape to Victory

Platoon

Sink the Bismark

Das Boot

Tora! Tora! Tora!

To Kill a King

The Last of the Mohicans

Zulu

Henry V

Ice Cold In Alex

Hunt for Red October (?)

Pearl Harbour

U 571

I have 300 on my Sky Box to watch I need wine and nibbles while I view all the six packs.

Cracking show.

Saw a good film a couple of times which was about a Soviet tank getting lost in Afghanistan when they had invaded during the eighties, one of them gets captured and says the only word he can speak in their language which was 'mercy' basically. A different outlook and a good film. Think it was called 'the beast' but not sure?

Saw a good film a couple of times which was about a Soviet tank getting lost in Afghanistan when they had invaded during the eighties, one of them gets captured and says the only word he can speak in their language which was 'mercy' basically. A different outlook and a good film. Think it was called 'the beast' but not sure?

reminds me of this classic :lol:

Independence Day where the rest of the world waited for the US to make a decision and strike.

Seems there is a 2 & 3 in the making I guess the aliens come back.

Sorry about that, Parky, dishing up leftovers from our Cyprus fridge/freezer.

Some of those old films seemed to involve different nationalities, the longest day, where eagles dare and the great escape for starters. You also have a bridge too far where the 'world' bit in ww2 seems to get covered. I can't think of many modern war films if any at all where any British involvement is really shown, perhaps I should've said 'documentaries' as well or instead as the amount of d-day documentaries you see on discovery that only cover the US actions is really out of proportion to the actual numbers involved. (Just under half were American forces, over half were British and commonwealth forces). It's probably more to do with a more modern US outlook where they are the only country who counts and why would Hollywood or the discovery channel show a point of view that isn't their own nation?

That's my own perception for what it's worth.

Right see what you mean. To put it into perspective Russian military losses was between 9 - 10 million compared to about 400,000 U.S.

Glory - Wonderful Film !

Escape to Victory

Platoon

Sink the Bismark

Das Boot

Tora! Tora! Tora!

To Kill a King

The Last of the Mohicans

Zulu

Henry V

Ice Cold In Alex

Hunt for Red October (?)

Pearl Harbour

U 571

Actually Hunt for Red October is the last war film I watched...Twice in a week. Captures the tension and essence of the cold war brilliantly.

Huge piece of pro Sandhurst propoganda.

:lol:

Or a decent enough film. I know the British got wiped out totally around the same time at the battle of the place I can't remember. Isanda or something? (I'm on my phone and can't be arsed to look).

Or a decent enough film. I know the British got wiped out totally around the same time at the battle of the place I can't remember. Isanda or something? (I'm on my phone and can't be arsed to look).

Isandwhala I believe, "no ammunition without a chitty boy" hard to open ammo boxes didn't help. Rourke's Drift hugely bigged up to brush aforementioned massacre out of the headlines, incredible bravery irrespective of that though. Zulu best "war" film ever tbh

Lots and lots of those already mentioned to which I would add, The Cruel Sea, Ice Cold in Alex and Reach for the Sky. (oh and Battle of Britain, just to watch/see the planes)

Edited by Toonpack

Isandlhwana.I say propoganda because of the VC's to combatants ratio and the fact the two officers got huge write ups for bravery when if you read comments from the men there they were both morons. The real hero was the Commisarriat who was an ex RSM and the Surgeon. However the Officer class desperately needed heros due to the utter fuck up at said Isandlhwana which included two officers abondoning their mena nd making a run for it to "save the colours".

Isandwhala I believe, "no ammunition without a chitty boy" hard to open ammo boxes didn't help. Rourke's Drift hugely bigged up to brush aforementioned massacre out of the headlines, incredible bravery irrespective of that though. Zulu best "war" film ever tbh

Lots and lots of those already mentioned to which I would add, The Cruel Sea, Ice Cold in Alex and Reach for the Sky. (oh and Battle of Britain, just to watch/see the planes)

New evidence shows there was no real issue with Ammo boxes which could be easily opened with a whack from the but of a Martini Henri.The problem at isandlhwana was leadership and unit placement aligned with a relative slow shot rate of the aforementioned Martini along with a reputation for mis fires. The thin red line was just too thin this time and was overwhelmed by massive forces of Zulus off their tits on drugs.

Edited by Kevin Carr's Gloves

New evidence shows there was no real issue with Ammo boxes which could be easily opened with a whack from the but of a Martini Henri. The problem at isandlhwana was leadership and unit placement aligned with a relative slow shot rate of the aforementioned Martini along with a reputation for mis fires. The thin red line was just too thin this time and was overwhelmed by massive forces of Zulus off their tits on drugs.

"There's thousands of em"!