The Dying of the FA Cup

The Fish

Given the comments from Lambert, the shambles from West Ham and our Owner & manager treating the oldest, grand prize with disdain, how would you breathe life back into the old dear?

Bear in mind UEFA offer Champions League spots, so the FA couldn't promise one as the prize of lifting the pot.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Larger financial incentives for winning it.

Perhaps something really radical like 10 points added in the league? Bizarre as that would be, it might justify the effort for some clubs - would certainly get the big teams interested again. I acknowledge it'd probably also cause chaos though.

The Champs League spot is a thought if we could get UEFA behind it - sacrifice position 4 in the League for it maybe? If one of the big teams won it, it would just revert to form I guess.

Abolish it, it's fucking shit anyway.

:lol: Now now, it's not shit, we are.

how about seeding teams?

If one of the sides is from a lower league, they get the home advantage?

Edited by The Fish

:lol: Now now, it's not shit, we are.

how about seeding teams?

If one of the sides is from a lower league, they get the home advantage?

We'd never get past the third round ever again.

Make it a massive game of Bulldog?

You honestly want to see Mark Hughes' Stoke lifting the cup?

We'd never get past the third round ever again.

And how is that different?

We're not the only team to disrespect the cup and perhaps a 5pt bonus to the following season would encourage the mid to lower Premier League sides to take it seriously?

I think a point bonus would make a difference, I just can't quite be sure of any side effects it might have that would be undesirable. Even for teams like us, it would be putting us in contention for a CL spot currently. Don't know if that'd make it worth shooting for from MA's point of view though.

it doesn't - it flows to the players and their agents

as long as a win gets you into Europe we should still fight to win as we've never been able to string togther enough wins in a season to win the League since 1927................

Given the comments from Lambert, the shambles from West Ham and our Owner & manager treating the oldest, grand prize with disdain, how would you breathe life back into the old dear?

Bear in mind UEFA offer Champions League spots, so the FA couldn't promise one as the prize of lifting the pot.

Not true UEFA decide how many clubs an association can enter it is entirely up to the countries association. Therefore it is entirely possible to offer one to the winners.

Don't know the answer to those questions but I'd personally like to see a limited squad submission rule to stop the big clubs playing reserves/very young players in first few rounds and then their full strength first team in the latter stages (if they happen to get there and decide all of a sudden that they would like to win it). Would be harder to implement than think about I suppose.

Don't know the answer to those questions but I'd personally like to see a limited squad submission rule to stop the big clubs playing reserves/very young players in first few rounds and then their full strength first team in the latter stages (if they happen to get there and decide all of a sudden that they would like to win it). Would be harder to implement than think about I suppose.

Yeah that's a good point - would stop big teams for walking through the early rounds by virtue of having larger squads. They either have to risk it with their youngsters/reserves all the way through, or they go in full force and suffer the same as everyone else in terms of tiring out their first team.

Given the comments from Lambert, the shambles from West Ham and our Owner & manager treating the oldest, grand prize with disdain

Lambert and West Ham are fighting for their lives in the league, and have injuries to deal with. Sad truth is that they'd always swap a decent run in the cup for staying up, and financially who can blame them?

As for us, Pardew put out a decent side yesterday that just didn't turn up, whereas I don't know if Ashley himself is the one disrespecting the cup. I know the minutes from that fans forum thing suggested the cups weren't a priority, but to be honest I still view them with a pinch of salt knowing how easy it could be to twist things just a little.

Wouldn't that lead to the bigger clubs simply dismissing it all together?

I think a point bonus would make a difference, I just can't quite be sure of any side effects it might have that would be undesirable. Even for teams like us, it would be putting us in contention for a CL spot currently. Don't know if that'd make it worth shooting for from MA's point of view though.

I think getting points for wins would be a good idea, for a match like that today we'd see West Ham really going for it as they'd see the game as a great chance to put points on the board rather than treating it as a massive inconvenience. Even two points for a win would see make a big difference to the league position of the winners and therefore increase interest in the competition from all teams.

Lambert and West Ham are fighting for their lives in the league, and have injuries to deal with. Sad truth is that they'd always swap a decent run in the cup for staying up, and financially who can blame them?

As for us, Pardew put out a decent side yesterday that just didn't turn up, whereas I don't know if Ashley himself is the one disrespecting the cup. I know the minutes from that fans forum thing suggested the cups weren't a priority, but to be honest I still view them with a pinch of salt knowing how easy it could be to twist things just a little.

Just kills me that this is the only consideration. I'd honestly take relegation for the FA Cup.

Yeah that's a good point - would stop big teams for walking through the early rounds by virtue of having larger squads. They either have to risk it with their youngsters/reserves all the way through, or they go in full force and suffer the same as everyone else in terms of tiring out their first team.

Abysmal idea. Sorry.

There's very few chances for clubs to give their younger/reserve players a decent run-out outside of an injury crisis - or a cup game. Makes perfect sense to give them a game alongside their more experienced colleagues against weaker opposition.

Just kills me that this is the only consideration. I'd honestly take relegation for the FA Cup.

Yes, it's a pretty sad reality if you ask me. But that's modern day football for you. Premier League football is worth so much money nowadays, and the Championship to its credit is a very competitive league that few sides will bounce back up from with minimal effort.

Abysmal idea. Sorry.

There's very few chances for clubs to give their younger/reserve players a decent run-out outside of an injury crisis - or a cup game. Makes perfect sense to give them a game alongside their more experienced colleagues against weaker opposition.

I thought that was why we had the League Cup? I mean fair point and all, but if we consider the FA Cup as an opportunity to blood young players then surely we're saying that we're basically happy for it to remain as irrelevant as it is?

I think getting points for wins would be a good idea, for a match like that today we'd see West Ham really going for it as they'd see the game as a great chance to put points on the board rather than treating it as a massive inconvenience. Even two points for a win would see make a big difference to the league position of the winners and therefore increase interest in the competition from all teams.

I'd say that a set number of points should be applied to the following season, and only if you win the cup. Fortunate cup runs could see a side face 3 lower league clubs and be suddenly 6pts better off in the league, where the clubs around them have met Chelsea (or whomever) and are punished for bad fortune.

I'd say that a set number of points should be applied to the following season, and only if you win the cup. Fortunate cup runs could see a side face 3 lower league clubs and be suddenly 6pts better off in the league, where the clubs around them have met Chelsea (or whomever) and are punished for bad fortune.

Only downside to that is that teams like West Ham will assume that they won't get anywhere and will continue to treat is as happened today. But I do think it would raise the level of commitment from the bigger teams, which would be something.

Abysmal idea. Sorry.

You have to register kids for the Development league, right? Say that you must field 5 players from your development squad. That means they can play 6 players from the 1st team squad and 5 from the youth in the lower league, but when you get towards the final you can start your strongest with those 5 (plus two others) on your bench?