True Detective... Contains Spoilers to S01E08

Tooj

As the title says I thought it was about time that this series was deserving of a thread of its own.

In terms of quality this for me has probably been the best first series since The Wire, that's how good I think that it has been.

Despite there being many memorable things happening so far this is probably the part that hit me hardest.

Here's a couple of bits as well regarding the so-called "Yellow King" which is based upon the book The King In Yellow by Robert W. Chambers. :up:

http://io9.com/the-one-literary-reference-you-must-know-to-appreciate-1523076497

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/02/02/writer-nic-pizzolatto-on-thomas-ligotti-and-the-weird-secrets-of-true-detective/

As the title says this does contain spoilers so don't expect to come in here and not have the show discussed. :good:

The only downside about the whole show so far has been Harrelson's wig for the first four eps. It's actually put one of my mates off watching it so far. Once they've jumped forward past the time of the orginal murder they've improved it massively but it looked so shite at first.

Does anyone know if this is planned as a first season or as just a one off? After the fist six episodes I can't really see how they can continue this into a second season. I know american versions of programs like The Killing were dragged onto multiple season for no good reason but HBO are usually much smarter with how they do these things. If there was good reason I'd of course love to see it go on but I can't see where it would go at the moment.

Watched the first episode the other night and thought it was the dullest thing in a long while. Only stuck with it due to the hype.

Quite blatant opening title rip off from True Blood as well.

If anyone needed any further recommendation there you have it!

opening title rip off from True Blood? lol wtf

i watch true blood as well and it's opening title is fuck all like it lol

do you mean because it's a bit grey and has red text or what

Rather than argue with you a few critics reviews....

"The show's opening credits immediately set the mood for the series.

Bleak images of grey factories and depressed towns are interspersed with the faces of McConaughey and Harrelson, and they do an adequate job of foreshadowing what viewers are in for.

It could be said that in terms of capturing the feel for a show, the opening credits are similar to HBO's "True Blood," but this may be because both are set in rural Louisiana".

Or

"The initial opening credits immediately set the scene, a highly stylised montage of superimposed bodies and faces acting as windows to the Louisiana landscape over country music; evoking the opening titles of HBO's other southern set show, True Blood".

Or

Let’s start at the beginning. The opening credits are like a mishmash of True Blood’s and Natural Born Killers’ openings".

I feel as though I have you in a headlock and am just twisting your ear so I'll stop. :)

Watched the first episode the other night and thought it was the dullest thing in a long while. Only stuck with it due to the hype.

Quite blatant opening title rip off from True Blood as well.

It's a slow burner. Maybe you went in expecting a faster pace, shootouts and the like?

Not sure why but I think Cole's father-in-law is involved in this Yellow King business.

You mean Hart's? I agree.

The scene with his kids and the dolls, and the way he spoke about them in the episode just gone. Think they've seen something whilst at his house.

But then there's this from Pizzolatto

“I’ve enjoyed reading people theorize about what’s going to happen because it’s a sign that you’re connecting,” Pizzolatto told me. “But I’m also sort of surprised by how far afield they’re getting. Like, why do you think we’re tricking you? It’s because you’ve been abused as an audience for more than 20 years. I cannot think of anything more insulting as an audience than to go through eight weeks, eight hours with these people, and then to be told it was a lie—that what you were seeing wasn’t really what was happening. The show’s not trying to outsmart you.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/03/02/how-true-detective-will-end-what-we-know-up-to-episode-7-after-you-ve-gone.html

Fuck knows

You mean Hart's? I agree.

The scene with his kids and the dolls, and the way he spoke about them in the episode just gone. Think they've seen something whilst at his house.

Aye that's what I meant. :lol:

Yesterday's episode was class too.

hsya.png

:cuppa:

The Yellow King and Carcosa thing is a bit strange to me. They've made no mention of where those two things come from. I know that not everyone will have read or even heard of the book but even a cursory check of the internet easily allows you to find out about it and at the time of episode 7 its 2012 so it would have been easy to find. Rust clearly thinks they're important (as shown by that photo) so it seems extremely unlikely he wouldn't have been trying to find out what they are.

Another good episode still but it seems they're going to have to pack a lot into the last one to finish it off.