Earth.

wolfy

You can see the curvature of the earth from the top observation deck of the Burj Khalifa in Dubaii.

I know lads that worked on it, they've seen it.

You could too, "with your own eyes", by going there and looking.

Physical evidence. Right there waiting for you.

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Earth we stand on. Think of it sort of like half an orange that is very slightly scooped out. Walk down to the beach and into the water and you walk down hill all the time, deeeper and deeper with every step. All rivers flow to the oceans/seas, like rain and sewer pipes, etc.

Now stick a dome onto your half orange so you have a sort of sphere, half solid and half atmosphere with an ice skin.

If it were that shape why do we not see to the other side of the sea with even the most powerful telescope?

If you can only see so far how far is that and what are the stars ?

Because the stars and everything else is inside the dome. There's nothing in space that we can see. All you are looking at are reflections in my opinion.

You get told you can see stars thata re billions upon billions or trillion of miles away because they tell you that the light from them has reached your eyes and that you see that star as it was millions of years ago. I mean, does that not deserve questioning?

You can see stars because they aren't that high up in the sky and aren't very big at all as reflections. I don't expect you to believe it. Just think about it quietly if you want to.

The Earth we stand on. Think of it sort of like half an orange that is very slightly scooped out. Walk down to the beach and into the water and you walk down hill all the time, deeeper and deeper with every step. All rivers flow to the oceans/seas, like rain and sewer pipes, etc.

Now stick a dome onto your half orange so you have a sort of sphere, half solid and half atmosphere with an ice skin.

So, let me get this correct, all the oceans are a big puddle, sitting in the middle, with the land going round it, in a big ring?

All the rivers flow down into this big ocean/puddle on the middle?

Either convex or concave it doesn't matter, water would either pool at the centre, or at his rim.

All lakes would be deeper at the same end, either the end at the rimside ( if it's a convex disc) or the centre end (if it's a concave disc).

He can't explain how the coastlines and topography that weather balloons photograph aren't bizarrely deformed (as they'd have to be to fit with a disc).

But none of these arguments matter because "it's just what he thinks 100%" and he can accuse everybody else of taking things on blind faith but his arguments require nothing but blind faith.

And that is fine and not hypocritical at all, right?

You can see the curvature of the earth from the top observation deck of the Burj Khalifa in Dubaii.

I know lads that worked on it, they've seen it.

You could too, "with your own eyes", by going there and looking.

Physical evidence. Right there waiting for you.

If you believe that then no problem. I disagree but that's just me.

The Fish, on 01 Jul 2014 - 8:02 PM, said:

Either convex or concave it doesn't matter, water would either pool at the centre, or at his rim.

All lakes would be deeper at the same end, either the end at the rimside ( if it's a convex disc) or the centre end (if it's a concave disc).

He can't explain how the coastlines and topography that weather balloons photograph aren't bizarrely deformed (as they'd have to be to fit with a disc).

But none of these arguments matter because "it's just what he thinks 100%" and he can accuse everybody else of taking things on blind faith but his arguments require nothing but blind faith.

I don't see how you get to the conclusions you just made. Explain it one piece at a time because what you're saying doesn't add up.

Edited by wolfy

I don't have to believe it, I can go there and see it.

You can too.

Like I said: if you believe that, then fine. I know you can't see any curvature, so we will have to agree to disagree on this.

:D

I'm curious how the rivers flow into the oceans- what is it that makes them flow "hubwards", (with apologies to T. Pratchett, who does the whole Discworld thing in a far more entertaining way).

Like I said: if you believe that, then fine. I know you can't see any curvature, so we will have to agree to disagree on this.

How do you know?

Are these people I know liars?

What are they seeing then?

Answers please.

How far away is the limit of our eyesight? Why do ships coming over the horizon appear slowly with masts showing first?

because you are looking through thicker atmosphere over distance. The horizon is always at your eye line. If you see a ship and mast and the ship disappears before the mast, it's because the light to your eyes in that thicker atmosphere has diminished, leaving the higher mast visible because you are looking through slightly less thickness of atmosphere.

If you require more explanation I'll give you it.

First: I don't doubt that mental illness is progressive and people may not know they are ill.

Second: You can't see curvature of the Earth from any hill or jet, for good reason. It's not curved. The horizon is straight. Go to the beach and have a look. You can only see so far anyway.

Third: There was no money offered. If there was, I'd have honoured it.

My bad. Your forfeit was to never ask questions again and accept everything you are told.

Post 1924

http://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/33194-moon-landings/page-97?

:D

I'm curious how the rivers flow into the oceans- what is it that makes them flow "hubwards", (with apologies to T. Pratchett, who does the whole Discworld thing in a far more entertaining way).

Rvers flow into oceans because the land and mountains allow it to flow on a gradient to the ocean bowl.

Correct.

So whether the earth is concave or convex the water would pool at the "downhill" part of the lakes and rivers, right?

Why is it thicker?

Is it to do with Denpressure?

It's thicker because there's more of it over distance. Think of it like looking through a single window pane. Easy and clear to see, right? Now add more panes to that wndow pane. It gets thicker, naturally and your vision isn't quite as clear as it was. Keep adding those panes and eventually it becomes translucent, then opaque.

The atmosphere is sort of like that.

Rvers flow into oceans because the land and mountains allow it to flow on a gradient to the ocean bowl.

Yeah, I get that. :D

What I'm curious about is why you think the water moves downhill.

Why doesn't it just stay where it is?

What acts upon the water to make it flow?

because you are looking through thicker atmosphere over distance. The horizon is always at your eye line. If you see a ship and mast and the ship disappears before the mast, it's because the light to your eyes in that thicker atmosphere has diminished, leaving the higher mast visible because you are looking through slightly less thickness of atmosphere.

If you require more explanation I'll give you it.

That doesn't work if it's thick atmosphere like fog then I would see the prow of the ship first. Why is the atmosphere thicker far away? Does it change density?

So whether the earth is concave or convex the water would pool at the "downhill" part of the lakes and rivers, right?

It does pool. it flows to the oceans which is a massive pool. It's like pouring water onto a dinner plate. It will gather in the centre until if fills up to the sides, which to you would be the beach tide.