Earth.

wolfy

It's thicker because there's more of it over distance. Think of it like looking through a single window pane. Easy and clear to see, right? Now add more panes to that wndow pane. It gets thicker, naturally and your vision isn't quite as clear as it was. Keep adding those panes and eventually it becomes translucent, then opaque.

The atmosphere is sort of like that.

But then you wouldn't see any part of the ship. According to what you're saying, it's the distance away from you that makes it impossible to see the ship, right?

The mast is the same distance away, how can we see that, but not the hull?

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does pool. it flows to the oceans which is a massive pool. It's like pouring water onto a dinner plate. It will gather in the centre until if fills up to the sides, which to you would be the beach tide.

So why isn't every single lake deeper at it's rim-side?

Yeah, I get that. :D

What I'm curious about is why you think the water moves downhill.

Why doesn't it just stay where it is?

What acts upon the water to make it flow?

Atmospheric pressure. The very same thing that acts on your sink of water when you pull out the plug. It's not the water running down the plug hole. It's being pushed down the plug hole by the atmospheric pressure, just as you are pushed to the floor under it, yet we don't think about it because we are adapated to it.

Have you ever carried a window pane with a window clamp? It's called a sucker but it's doing no sucking. It clamps to the window because you robbed the cup of the air inside it which is now pushing back onto that clamp, because the air that is left inside of the clamp, which is very little, needs to be equalised with the 15 psi of pressure outside, so the pressure clamps it by trying to equalise it but can't due to the clamp being a perfect air tight cover.

That doesn't work if it's thick atmosphere like fog then I would see the prow of the ship first. Why is the atmosphere thicker far away? Does it change density?

At sea level the atmosphere is dense. Higher up it's thinner, as you know. It's why you can see things in the sky a lot higher up than you could if you were looking from eye level horizon.

Is there a measurable difference in air pressure between the hull and mast of a ship?

Anyway wolfy, why have you reneged on our bet?

"If N.A.S.A don't come up with some kind of organism or some structure or something that they tell us is intelligent life being, or, been on that planet, then I'll never question anything again and just accept everything we are told."

Edited by Renton

But then you wouldn't see any part of the ship. According to what you're saying, it's the distance away from you that makes it impossible to see the ship, right?

The mast is the same distance away, how can we see that, but not the hull?

Yes but the mast is higher, which means you are looking higher up through less dense air. It might not appear much to your thought or anyone elses but the air at your feet is a lot more dense than the air on your head. This is not noticed much at close quarters but will be very noticable over distance, which is why the light from the ships hull disappears from your view before the mast.

Atmospheric pressure. The very same thing that acts on your sink of water when you pull out the plug. It's not the water running down the plug hole. It's being pushed down the plug hole by the atmospheric pressure, just as you are pushed to the floor under it, yet we don't think about it because we are adapated to it.

Have you ever carried a window pane with a window clamp? It's called a sucker but it's doing no sucking. It clamps to the window because you robbed the cup of the air inside it which is now pushing back onto that clamp, because the air that is left inside of the clamp, which is very little, needs to be equalised with the 15 psi of pressure outside, so the pressure clamps it by trying to equalise it but can't due to the clamp being a perfect air tight cover.

Atmospheric pressure you say?

Interesting.

Do you think the pressure is the same everywhere, or does it increase the more atmosphere there is pushing down on you?

i.e. The higher up you go, the less the atmospheric pressure?

Why would it be deeper at it's rim side?

Sorry I thought you said the earth was convex? If it's concave the water would surely pool at the centre-side of all the lakes, right?

Yes but the mast is higher, which means you are looking higher up through less dense air. It might not appear much to your thought or anyone elses but the air at your feet is a lot more dense than the air on your head. This is not noticed much at close quarters but will be very noticable over distance, which is why the light from the ships hull disappears from your view before the mast.

So, mice live in, and breath a much denser air?

What if I took one up in a hot air balloon, would the poor little furry bastard explode?

Atmospheric pressure you say?

Interesting.

Do you think the pressure is the same everywhere, or does it increase the more atmosphere there is pushing down on you?

i.e. The higher up you go, the less the atmospheric pressure?

Correct. The higher you go, the less atmospheric pressure there is. You can easily feel this just by going up or down hill in your car. Your ears feel the pressure gain or drop.

Sorry I thought you said the earth was convex? If it's concave the water would surely pool at the centre-side of all the lakes, right?

What is centre side?

I like how none of it makes any sense yet he still keeps it going.

If your Earth is a rotating globe in space with gravity, then I'm not going to make any sense at all. Just use what I'm saying as a light musing for yourself and try and see if you can grasp some of it and you never know, it could get you thinking or at least questioning some of what you were told.

It's not easy for anyone to go aganst what we were all taught, I understand that.

Correct. The higher you go, the less atmospheric pressure there is. You can easily feel this just by going up or down hill in your car. Your ears feel the pressure gain or drop.

But you said all land tips down into the sea in a bowl shape. That means the furthest pieces of land from the sea would be higher up than the mountains.

Anyway wolfy, why have you reneged on our bet?

"If N.A.S.A don't come up with some kind of organism or some structure or something that they tell us is intelligent life being, or, been on that planet, then I'll never question anything again and just accept everything we are told."

FAO wolfy. I think you should have the courtesy to offer some explanation, don't you?

So, mice live in, and breath a much denser air?

What if I took one up in a hot air balloon, would the poor little furry bastard explode?

It wouldn't explode but it wouldn't be very happy with you.

What is centre side?

... The side that is nearest the centre of your concave disc. Fucking Hell Wolfy I was trying to keep things really simple for you.