Jack Bruce

Monkeys Fist

Great bassist in a shit band. His solo stuff is the best mark of his talent overall, if you've not heard. RIP, very underrated

Errr, cream were shit?....he certainly didn't think so, I saw an interview with him once where he described them as a jazz trio with Clapton being in the Ornette Coleman role. They were sublime iyam. RIP.

brilliant but fell in love with themsleves - then they started those ridiculously long riffs ......... espec at live performances.........

listening to their stuff again tho' I was amazed by the variety they played

Cream's albums are shite tbh. Well, Disreali Gears is alright but it's strange that it's got such a reputation when you listen to what other bands were doing at the time. 3 good musicians (even though Ginger Baker's drum solos were shit, just like all drum solos) but the Hendrix Experience did it all better. So did Love, Santana and Traffic. A band that people like because they're "supposed" to like them, soz.

giphy.gif

I like Cream but the albums are ropey. Definitely a Greatest Hits band.

Aye, handful of good songs, but their albums are cack. Most live clips of them are unwatchable too cos of Ginger Baker's insistence on a drum solo.

But RIP anyway.

I don't mind Cream - though I listened to them more to hear Clapton than anything else. (In retrospect it wasn't worth it)

They had some pretty decent tunes - but yeah definitely a greatest hits band than anything else but there are so many of them if you weren't directly around in the era the music was made, Yardbirds/Queen/Thin Lizzy etc, good introductions to music of various styles but if you have half a decent taste or intent to find one you'll probably grow out of it quite quickly. I'd probably say I prefer both Bruce/Clapton when they played with the Bluesbreakers really.

Though Cream were pretty solid at the Albert Hall a few years back. Regards drum solos - they can be tolerable but on old flat Jazz kits there's barely in range in sound so it sounds samey after about 20 seconds. Unless you're John Bonham.

err aye but RIP.

Drum solos man :lol: Moby Dick by Led Zep comes on and you think to yourself this is mint then about a minute in it starts and you remember it's another 3 minutes (or something) of John Bonham basically pulling his pud before a decent 30 seconds til the end. You can't even blame the drugs as it would still sound shit.

Fair one :lol:

The Zeppelin live ones are about 20 minutes long as well, the rest of the band basically nip off round the back to get up to some mischief.

I seen a daft one by Tommy Clufetos for Black Sabbath in summer & it was pretty mental like - actually enjoyable - honestly, but some bloke from Motorhead did one earlier in the afternoon which was basically the same noise 1000 times.

The worst thing is when you see a band in the club doing a drum solo, mic'd up to about 30 people. ROCK!