Question(s) of the Day 17/11/2014

The Fish

Btw I quite liked him even though he was shite if that makes sense? Could tell he felt privileged every time he put the shirt on.

that's what i was getting at. obviously he wasn't a class player, just an honest one who ended up doing a lot better than we thought he would.

Some good shouts, McGhee was streets ahead of Quinny skillwise and they were a great foil for each other although neither of them had pace, obviously Quinn was a natural predator near the goal. Not really sure Goddard was under-rated as he was the main reason we didn't get get relegated the year he arrived, he was also one of the main reasons we did get relegated the season he joined Gazza and Spotty in leaving us in 1988-89. Sellars was possibly under-rated as we had a cracking side at the time but as per the previous chat with Alex, I think most NUFC fans appreciated his vision. David Kelly is a tough one, under-rated? I reckon his importance has went down in folklore even though he wasn't the best striker we've had. I'd say Steve Watson was similar in being under-rated as Robbie Elliott although I think PL is spot on saying Bez is under-rated. I thought he was the best left back I'd ever seen in our shirt at the time although some fans started looking for scapegoats among a talented team and some picked out Bez which was very harsh in my view. I sometimes used to think we were quick to forget about Andy Cole after Les and Shearer were our main men but for me Cole was fucking class. I'd also say a few of us, (myself included), underestimated Gary Speed for the first few months although that might have something to do with Dalglish's use of him and they way were playing. Solano was never under-rated IMO.

speed was class for us once he was moved from the wing into centre mid. i don't think most of us realised just how good he was till he left. he held robson's midfield together than still had a few canny years left in him after we let him go for a pittance then replaced him with nicky butt

I don't think Sib was underrated at all. He was expected to be shite but then he did comparatively well and he's remembered with quite a bit of fondness.

I certainly underrated Speed for a good while and Nobby too. Whilst that wasn't a universal opinion, there were certainly quite a few others like me at the time.

Cole isn't underrated he just isn't as popular as Shearer and Sir Les. I don't think anyone who can remember him can think of him as anything other than class.

I think Darren Peacock and Steve Howey could both be considered underrated. Peacock gets a bad rep because he was brought in for pretty big money and supposed to be the rock in our back four that would make the difference to us in trying to win the league. It never quite worked out like that but he was still a good player and it wasn't his fault that Keegan's style of play meant that the two centrebacks got very little protection. For Howey, there was two or three season when went to centreback that he was excellent for us. He fell away somewhat after he got into the England team (I'm not sure if injuries had something to do with that) but there was a time where he'd been just about the best centrback I'd seen play for us up to that point.

Edited by David Kelly

Some good shouts, McGhee was streets ahead of Quinny skillwise and they were a great foil for each other although neither of them had pace, obviously Quinn was a natural predator near the goal. Not really sure Goddard was under-rated as he was the main reason we didn't get get relegated the year he arrived, he was also one of the main reasons we did get relegated the season he joined Gazza and Spotty in leaving us in 1988-89. Sellars was possibly under-rated as we had a cracking side at the time but as per the previous chat with Alex, I think most NUFC fans appreciated his vision. David Kelly is a tough one, under-rated? I reckon his importance has went down in folklore even though he wasn't the best striker we've had. I'd say Steve Watson was similar in being under-rated as Robbie Elliott although I think PL is spot on saying Bez is under-rated. I thought he was the best left back I'd ever seen in our shirt at the time although some fans started looking for scapegoats among a talented team and some picked out Bez which was very harsh in my view. I sometimes used to think we were quick to forget about Andy Cole after Les and Shearer were our main men but for me Cole was fucking class. I'd also say a few of us, (myself included), underestimated Gary Speed for the first few months although that might have something to do with Dalglish's use of him and they way were playing. Solano was never under-rated IMO.

Cole is still a bigger hero to me than shearer or Les. He just completely epitomised the sheer joy of that first season in the prem.

Len White was another of those gifted players who should have been capped for England, but he played in an era when good players in the North East were generally ignored by the English selectors.

He spent quite a bit of time overshadowed by wor Jackie but racked up a goodly amount of goals during his tenure with Newcastle.

I think the thing with Cole is he spoilt a lot of his good work by being a prick at Wembley and he barely even acknowledges how good this club, Keegan and Beardsley were for his career.

I think the thing with Cole is he spoilt a lot of his good work by being a prick at Wembley and he barely even acknowledges how good this club, Keegan and Beardsley were for his career.

Undoubtedly but I always try to apply the "what they did in a black and white shirt" test as the primary driver.

Good shout on Robbie Elliot though, one of my favourite players as a bairn.

He played a couple of games in the Bracewell role - notably Norwich away- where he was superb and I always wondered why he didn't persist with that.

That injury he had at Bolton absolutely ruined him like.

Thought Dalglish should never have let the likes of him, Watson and Clarkie go.

It just about sums Dalglish's time here up that he played Elliot in every league match (iirc) in a midfield 3, where he excelled and even scored a few goals, in the season where KD took over. Where we had a great run and ended up second (also, iirc, if you were to extrapolate that form over the season, we'd have come top). Then he flogged him and plenty others who were part of that. King Kenny. King Kunt more like.

Stupidly obsessed with making it "his" team - a mistake too many managers make.

and making it their team immediately, iirc Wenger changed a fair number but kept the back five pretty much the same.