Registas, False nines & Raumdeuters

The Fish

Has the vocabulary of football changed to reflect a greater understanding of the game, or is it just hipster-wankery?

Do we need terms for a deep lying defensive minded playmaker? Or a wide forward who looks to find space between the lines of defence, who mainly cuts in from wide positions?

I guess I'm asking if the average fan needs a greater lexicon because they're talking in greater detail about football, or have we created a bloated vocabulary to lend an air of... complexity to what is essentially a fairly straightforward game?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Portuguese/Brazilian term. refers to he who is "in the hole".According to "inverting the pyramid" anyways..

It's all bollocks really, just kids trying to be cool iyam...

I know... I was checking that Gemmil did.

I don't get the jump between using a term that accurately reflects the thing you're trying to describe and it being hipster wankery?

I wouldn't call it a portable touchscreen device; I'd call it a tablet. What's wrong with calling a deep lying defensive minded play maker a "regista"?

How else do you describe what players like Muller, Messi and Ronaldo do?

Messi plays in the middle but isn't a striker or a midfielder.

Ronaldo plays on the left but isn't a winger.

Muller plays sort of everywhere.

I don't get the jump between using a term that accurately reflects the thing you're trying to describe and it being hipster wankery?

I wouldn't call it a portable touchscreen device; I'd call it a tablet. What's wrong with calling a deep lying defensive minded play maker a "regista"?

There's nothing with it Dave. As long as you're OK with sounding like a total cunt.

There's nothing with it Dave. As long as you're OK with sounding like a total cunt.

Well it doesn't hold you back ;)

I'm serious though, do you call it your automated vacuuming robot? or a Roomba?

How would you describe Messi's best position?

Is it not a little Luddite to ignore the fact that the game is being spoken about in greater detail these days?

Is it not just being talked about in pretentious terms by nerds who didn't even play football in the school yard (and if they did they were last to be picked)?

Is it not a little Luddite to ignore the fact that the game is being spoken about in greater detail these days?

No it's still comes across as a wanker talking shite. Probably talking shite with a shit mess of a beard.

I hear somebody say that and I think they should be on the regista.

:lol:

Is it not just being talked about in pretentious terms by nerds who didn't even play football in the school yard (and if they did they were last to be picked)?

No, I don't think so. There's plenty of ex-pros who use the terms, and I'm assuming that these terms originate in the game and filter out to the masses? In much the same way as there'll be terms in music, cinema or politics that eventually filter out to the public and become part of our everyday use?

Well it doesn't hold you back ;)

I'm serious though, do you call it your automated vacuuming robot? or a Roomba?

How would you describe Messi's best position?

I actively cultivate it. :razz:

Are we really trying to say that football has moved on so dramatically that it simply can no longer operate within the constraints of an English vocabulary?

I'm not even cool enough to watch Spanish football, so couldn't tell you where Messi plays. I'm gonna go with "up frontistador" or "como se dice inna da holio."

Ok, then Fish, I set the trend a few years ago by playing just off the front men, out wide on the left. As I was cool as fuck I called it the 'Eth eth eth eth eth eth eth eth eth eth, shminky pinky pussy' role. It was the new sensation in the Mediterranean leagues, I imported it over here.

I actively cultivate it. :razz:

Are we really trying to say that football has moved on so dramatically that it simply can no longer operate within the constraints of an English vocabulary?

I'm not even cool enough to watch Spanish football, so couldn't tell you where Messi plays. I'm gonna go with "up frontistador" or "como se dice inna da holio."

I'm not certain that football has moved on that dramatically, but I think the public's appetite for it has. It used to be the case that Match of the Day was your sole source of football... Hell it used to be the case that people only got to know what hapened in a game by reading the fucking paper.

Yet now, there's an unbelievable consumption of football, and it doesn't sate the demand. There's rolling 24hr sports "news" the majority of which is about football, there are websites and radio stations, social media and even message boards ;)

People spend hours talking about the game and as the information available increases in breadth and depth, so too must the vocabulary. It's not enough to say that Messi is a forward, because so is Cisse or Peter Crouch, and they're very different players, playing very different positions in very different roles. Yet in the 80s Messi would have been called a tricky little forward and you'd be forgiven to expect him to play like Shane Long.

Ok, then Fish, I set the trend a few years ago by playing just off the front men, out wide on the left. As I was cool as fuck I called it the 'Eth eth eth eth eth eth eth eth eth eth, shminky pinky pussy' role. It was the new sensation in the Mediterranean leagues, I imported it over here.

I don't understand what just happened to you, are you ok? Is there someone we should call?

Because it's not part of the cultural language of the game in this country. We didn't have liberos, we had sweepers...

Because it's not part of the cultural language of the game in this country. We didn't have liberos, we had sweepers...

Aye thats fair enough, because there's a term that already exists. Yet surely if we haven't a term for the position (like trequartista or regista) it's fine to use a term that exists?

We do it with schadenfreude?