Online home learning courses.

TheGingerQuiff

I've been translating accounting stuff for so long that I reckon I know as much about IFRS etc. as some of the people preparing the accounts (if not more), been thinking about getting some kind of qualification to prove it, but there's not really much point if I don't intend to do anything with it, I suppose...

Likewise I should/could probably go and swot up for something like a GCSE in Swedish with the knowledge I've got tucked away in my head somewhere, but there'd be no obvious benefit professionally. Other than being able to swear magnificently. Which is actually quite tempting.

If you do it, it gives you more options in the future. If you have time and motivation, something like this is always worth doing IMO.

Edited by Rayvin

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A little knowledge can be dangerous though. I'm part of a data analytics broad team and the reporting team who IMO should only have access to the data via cubes and views write their own queries including on source systems rather than the warehouse and some of them are atrocious.

A little knowledge can be dangerous though. I'm part of a data analytics broad team and the reporting team who IMO should only have access to the data via cubes and views write their own queries including on source systems rather than the warehouse and some of them are atrocious.

Surely extractions are pretty safe - sure they could be incorrectly conceived and lead to poor conclusions being drawn, but the extraction itself isn't going to compromise the system. Or have you seen things that would suggest otherwise?

I agree on coding in general though.

Me no speakee your language. SPQR, DFS, SCS, MFI, STD etc, etc.

I was thinking the same myself. But then I know that I use worky-speak that must sound like a foreign language to some people.

I was thinking the same myself. But then I know that I use worky-speak that must sound like a foreign language to some people.

My partner and I went on holiday last year with 5 people who work in various NHS positions. Barely understood a word :lol:

My partner and I went on holiday last year with 5 people who work in various NHS positions. Barely understood a word :lol:

Aye, it can sound a bit cliquey when there's a few together :lol: My brother and I both work in anaesthetics at the same hospital and if we get on talking about work I know my dad just glazes over and tries to nod in the right places.

Aye, it can sound a bit cliquey when there's a few together :lol: My brother and I both work in anaesthetics at the same hospital and if we get on talking about work I know my dad just glazes over and tries to nod in the right places.

The good thing though is that you guys have some fucking amazing stories... no story anyone else has can compare to the time that one guy came in with a cucumber stuck up his arse :lol:

Vibrators, potatoes, carrots, paperweights, pepperpots, deodorant cans, deodorant can lids (they didn't think it through and put it in lid first) shavers, and a mini tub of Brylcreem.

None of them appeared to appreciate that if the door closes and the item disappears round the bend, you ain't seeing it again until we've used surgical instruments to dilate and retrieve.

Surely extractions are pretty safe - sure they could be incorrectly conceived and lead to poor conclusions being drawn, but the extraction itself isn't going to compromise the system. Or have you seen things that would suggest otherwise?

I agree on coding in general though.

Badly written queries can run for hours, block processes and generally kill servers.

Badly written queries can run for hours, block processes and generally kill servers.

Ok, you guys must be working with much larger databases then. Worst case scenario for a large query at my end is 10 minutes. :lol:

Our business doesn't have developers so I'm probably ok ;)