Yahoo secretly scanned customer emails on behalf of U.S. intelligence

Happy Face

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worlds shit these days like. 20 years ago, when I was a kid, you could do pretty much what you wanted, where you wanted within reason and people were none the wiser.

These days you can't walk down a street or into a shop without being on cctv, you're probably being watched through your laptop or smart tv, your phone and credit card tracks every website you view and every payment you make, your car is on every ANPR camera it passes, your emails are tracked.

The Internet didn't exist then, and I'm pretty sure credit cards could be tracked, phones tapped, and cctv cameras recorded (not as much as today but still). Not sure how any of this impinges on your life now though tbh. Out of curiosity, do you believe there is a real terror threat and surveillance might counter it (not particularly aimed at you btw)? Edited by Renton

There is a terror threat but I don't think that's the reason all this shit is happening. It's probably part of a wider plan to just control the masses in general. The government doesn't give enough of a shit about a few hundred terrorist deaths on Western soil to spend billions on monitoring everyone and everything

There is a terror threat but I don't think that's the reason all this shit is happening. It's probably part of a wider plan to just control the masses in general. The government doesn't give enough of a shit about a few hundred terrorist deaths on Western soil to spend billions on monitoring everyone and everything

Yup.

It's also cover to steal a lot of intellectual property, insider info on the stock market and get a business advantage on behalf of multinationals, especially American ones.

Edited by Park Life

There is no grand conspiracy, we're quite simply too fucking stupid for that.

Okay. So you genuinely think that the government, who in general represent a fairly normal cross section of society (skewed towards middle and upper classes of course), don't give a shit about terrorist murders of their own people. Interesting. Is that all governments or ours specifically?

Secondly, you are implying this is a ploy to control the wider masses. In what way? Are they trying to undermine democracy? Can you be more specific on their motives?

Edited by Renton

Just to weigh in here, the French government has told it's people to just accept terrorism. So I don't know how much they actually do care... Sadiq Kahn said something similar.

Edited by Rayvin

Is it that much of a stretch to think the ultra rich don't care about the average man on the street Renton?

The tories want to charge poor people for health care and introduce the American System which means poor people

die from illnesses rich people survive , they shut down food banks and put millions into poverty whilst claiming hundreds of thousands in fake expense claims. This is the same bunch that have been whitewashing the establishment child

abuse/murder enquiry for years

Edited by StraightEdgeWizard

As another point, why would the Americans be following the activities of Merkel if they were just after terrorists?

Why prism?

And we know for certain that the Chinese government is hacking companies for corporate advantage. I don't think it's a stretch to say the West is doing the same thing.

Although I think they'd be going for bigger fish than any of us.

Is it that much of a stretch to think the ultra rich don't care about how bloggs Renton?

The tories want to charge poor people for health care and introduce the American System which means poor people

die from illnesses rich people survive , they shut down food banks and put millions into poverty whilst claiming hundreds of thousands in fake expense claims. This is the same bunch that have been whitewashing the establishment child

abuse/murder enquiry for years

It's an absolute massive stretch for me. You're a mental health nurse believing in tenuous, ill-defined paranoid conspiracy theories. I always ask this question, and never get satisfactory answers, but who are this controlling elite and why have they never been exposed? Is May part of it? Could Bridget be one day?

As another point, why would the Americans be following the activities of Merkel if they were just after terrorists?

Why prism?

And we know for certain that the Chinese government is hacking companies for corporate advantage. I don't think it's a stretch to say the West is doing the same thing.

Although I think they'd be going for bigger fish than any of us.

Aye, but we weren't talking about corporate espionage, at leat I wasn't. We were talking about "them" controlling the proles. I'd just like a bit of meat on this theory.

Ok well I don't see the control element I have to say. We're controlled by the media more than governments, IMO - that's why they can't get us to behave and vote correctly when it comes to the future of our country

It's not a paranoid conspiracy theory, it's happening here and now. You drive down a bus lane and you get a fine through the door a week later. You Google bomb making and you get a knock on the door from the police or turned away by US customs. Don't pay your car tax/MOT and the first traffic police you drive past with ANPR gets you stopped and your car seized

We aren't quite at 1984 level yet but when you look at how much life has changed in the past 20 years we are hurtling towards it. Finger prints to get into your phone, facial scanning on your passport. Google glass will be a hoot when it takes off, live streaming from everyone's first person view :lol:

Enough whistle blowers have said that the intelligence services have full spectrum surveillance running for this to even be a debate. :lol:

Mass surveillance is used to gain advantages in all areas inc business, military, finance, intellectual property and keep an eye on everyone.

They spend billions on it it's a matter of record. It's not exotic anymore its a banal fact of everyday life now. The Merkel thing caused a big stir here and then it came out that the whole UN was bugged and diplomats were helping by getting mobile phone numbers and so on....

It's just routine now and frankly it was something that might have been interesting to discuss 10 years ago but not now.

Edited by Park Life

No one is questioning mass-surveillance from what I can see.

The stretch is that it's a mass conspiracy by "them" to somehow control us.

Is Trump part of the Grand Plan?  Brexit?  2008?

It's not a paranoid conspiracy theory, it's happening here and now. You drive down a bus lane and you get a fine through the door a week later. You Google bomb making and you get a knock on the door from the police or turned away by US customs. Don't pay your car tax/MOT and the first traffic police you drive past with ANPR gets you stopped and your car seized

We aren't quite at 1984 level yet but when you look at how much life has changed in the past 20 years we are hurtling towards it. Finger prints to get into your phone, facial scanning on your passport. Google glass will be a hoot when it takes off, live streaming from everyone's first person view :lol:

I think the paranoid element relates to the implication that there is some nefarious overarching entity controlling this. You get fined for driving down a bus lane, so what? That's just technology. Car tax similarly. Google a b9mb making site may draw attention to the home office or police? Good. All these things relate to criminal or civil offences and are easily avoidable by simply not doing them. Biometric sensors to unlock your phone? So what, what are you actually getting at? Technology has advanced and can entrap us if we let it. But technology is still optional. The cameras are there but there is no big brother watching us. He'd be bored shitless.

And btw, people who espouse the theories you're talking about, do think those were deliberate acts.

So then you're only a small step to fake moon landings.

No one is questioning mass-surveillance from what I can see.

The stretch is that it's a mass conspiracy by "them" to somehow control us.

Is Trump part of the Grand Plan?  Brexit?  2008?

Well I think they know that if we think we are being watched it modifies our behavior. We are the most studied thing on the planet. It might seem ridiculous to us but this thread will be recorded because of some of the words used. How does that feel?

Power has one goal to develop more power.

There was a time on this board not so long ago that people wouldn't even admit their phone and laptops might be targeted. :lol:

Now the tune has changed to....Well so what? ;)

Edited by Park Life

I went 4 months without an MOT and tax for my motor during my cancer treatment (it just slipped my mind) and I drove all over the UK from Edinburgh to Wales to London, never got stopped once. Must have missed all the cameras.

Well I think they know that if we think we are being watched it modifies our behavior. We are the most studied thing on the planet. It might seem ridiculous to us but this thread will be recorded because of some of the words used. How does that feel?

:lol:

Which specific words?

Yoohoooo, hiya big brother. :D

Edited by Renton

Controls a subjective term though

Most of the population live payslip to payslip and stay in line to avoid being sacked or jailed as they know they would be fucked if that happened. They pay whatever taxes they are told to, even mental taxes like stamp duty and inheritance tax. The rich stay rich and the poor stay poor. Murdoch tells you what he wants you to hear through the the papers and Sky News.

1984 miners strike

DC0D89BF-806D-4E61-A02D-FD2B8D6196B6_zps

2015 nurses strike

31A50C57-A126-4DDA-8B7B-58C29644C846_zps

Apathy has well and truly set in. But just for good measure we are getting new laws about strikes and unions to make it even harder to strike. You have to put your name on a list ffs :lol:

Perfect example of 'control'

I went 4 months without an MOT and tax for my motor during my cancer treatment (it just slipped my mind) and I drove all over the UK from Edinburgh to Wales to London, never got stopped once. Must have missed all the cameras.

Must have, you only have to watch police interceptors to see them pulling people every day

Controls a subjective term though

Most of the population live payslip to payslip and stay in line to avoid being sacked or jailed as they know they would be fucked if that happened. They pay whatever taxes they are told to, even mental taxes like stamp duty and inheritance tax. The rich stay rich and the poor stay poor. Murdoch tells you what he wants you to hear through the the papers and Sky News.

1984 miners strike

DC0D89BF-806D-4E61-A02D-FD2B8D6196B6_zps

2015 nurses strike

31A50C57-A126-4DDA-8B7B-58C29644C846_zps

Apathy has well and truly set in. But just for good measure we are getting new laws about strikes and unions to make it even harder to strike. You have to put your name on a list ffs :lol:

Perfect example of 'control'

Stamp duty and inheritance tax are probably the fairest taxes going for wealth redistribution, bizarre you've singled them out as "mental" taxes. People have always had to pay taxes man, seriously what's your point? The media has always been there. People have always gone on strike and the tories have always tried to prevent it. Your posting tonight is a bit confused, I'll put it down to sleep deprivation. ;)