With hindsightTM was buying Owen a mistake?

Asprilla

I was certainly in the "for" camp, but now he's injured, it seems his only preoccupation is in being fit for the world cup. Also he has given away a bit in interviews and general body language, he's killing time here in my opinion. You almost get the feeling he's quite pleased about the injury, as it means he'll be fit and raring to go come the summer.

I have no confidence that he'll be here at the start of next season, which means we effectively need to find TWO world class strikers AND a manager pretty sharpish.....

Things can only get better? :huh:

I agreed with it as with Owen we stood a better chance of finishing higher under Souness than without. I'm sure there will be hindsight Einsteins out there who claimed "some of us knew from the beginning that it was dangerous putting all our eggs in one basket" but I honestly think that, health notwithstanding, we'd have been worse off with 3 mediocre players under Souness than one Owen under Souness.

However no one could have forseen this particular injury -- even those who enjoy harping on his "injury prone"-ness would be hard pressed to say this falls in that category. Owens troubles have all been muscle related and this has nothing to do with.

Edited by tommyboy

We bought a top class striker, still in his prime, who's proven he can do it in the PL and at European and International level. Yes, he cost us too much, but our results when he has played and his goals per game for us show he's still got it. His current injury along with Taylor's shoulder have probably been the only true 'unlucky' injuries. However, his hamstring problems before that are a worry, if he's still here of course next season.

He's a true pro though. His injury may also be a blessing in disguise for those who want rid of Souness. We were playing shit yet little Mickey was still scoring, bailing us out the shit imo and papering over the cracks. His abscence has highlighted the lack of tactics, teamwork, and gameplan imo.

He spoke about England because he was asked about England. You can hardly blame him for it.

If people asked him about Newcastle he'd talk about Newcastle. The media are determined to get the point across that Owen doesn't want to be here. It's not HIM saying it.

If it does transpire that he has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave in the summer for a fraction of what we paid, then it will be one of the worst deals in the history of professional football.

But if not and we get a decent new manager in the summer then I think it will prove to be an excellent deal even if it was expensive.

If it does transpire that he has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave in the summer for a fraction of what we paid, then it will be one of the worst deals in the history of professional football.

But if not and we get a decent new manager in the summer then I think it will prove to be an excellent deal even if it was expensive.

84615[/snapback]

Exactly....I was as pleased as anyone when he signed, (well, maybe not as pleased as the soopafan doleys and chavs who turned up when he signed :search: ) but I did think at the time that Shearer had managed to persuade him that he had a long term future here.

Nobody (except LM :huh: ) could have imagined how unlucky we'd be with injuries or how bad we'd be playing generally, but if he goes I think we'll be in deeper shit than if we HADN'T signed him at all. I can't see Liverpool buying him back for £17m so we then will have made a considerable loss and as I said, we'll then be looking for a complete strikeforce AND a manager.

Of course he hasn't left yet, but I'll be staggered if we manage to keep him.

It seems my previous post was rubbish, i've just read this on another forum:

"I support Graeme Souness fully and and its difficult for me, sitting on the sidelines with my feet up when I want to help him out. I want the manager to be there when I get back from injury as he's brought me in and I've been very impressed with him. He's got a big part to play here and does it very well.

I just want to get back fit as quickly as possible. Newcastle paid a massive fee for me and pay my wages and you almost feel guilty being unable to play. I'm just hoping that when I come back, the manager is still there doing his bit"

No mention of source on this.

Still can't find any quotes from Given though.

Exactly....I was as pleased as anyone when he signed, (well, maybe not as pleased as the soopafan doleys and chavs who turned up when he signed  :lol: ) but I did think at the time that Shearer had managed to persuade him that he had a long term future here.

84619[/snapback]

Surely the soopafan dolescum would have been at the tattooists?

Exactly....I was as pleased as anyone when he signed, (well, maybe not as pleased as the soopafan doleys and chavs who turned up when he signed  :unsure: ) but I did think at the time that Shearer had managed to persuade him that he had a long term future here.

84619[/snapback]

Surely the soopafan dolescum would have been at the tattooists?

84693[/snapback]

:lol:

"I support Graeme Souness fully and and its difficult for me, sitting on the sidelines with my feet up when I want to help him out. I want the manager to be there when I get back from injury as he's brought me in and I've been very impressed with him. He's got a big part to play here and does it very well.

I just want to get back fit as quickly as possible. Newcastle paid a massive fee for me and pay my wages and you almost feel guilty being unable to play. I'm just hoping that when I come back, the manager is still there doing his bit

84662[/snapback]

Michael Owen in "talking shite" shock

I just want to get back fit as quickly as possible. Newcastle paid a massive fee for me and pay my wages and you almost feel guilty being unable to play. I'm just hoping that when I come back, the manager is still there doing his bit

84662[/snapback]

Michael Owen in "talking shite" shock

84718[/snapback]

Dean Saunders had him in a headlock and Terry Mac was giving him a chinese burn at the time like.

They were reporting on R5 this morning that Owen had said that he considered what Sven said about him to the "fake sheik" to be complimentary.  What's all that about?

84723[/snapback]

I couldn't work that one out either :lol:

84729[/snapback]

Flattered to be linked to Aston Villa.