Dead Red Redemption 2

Ayatollah Hermione

Man its going to be good, I'm taking an unnecessary, overly principled, wont make a difference really stance and not buying it 'til I can get it preowned stance after rockstars insane "crunch" culture came to light a few weeks back.

But I really really want it.

On 10/26/2018 at 22:06, Andrew said:

Man its going to be good, I'm taking an unnecessary, overly principled, wont make a difference really stance and not buying it 'til I can get it preowned stance after rockstars insane "crunch" culture came to light a few weeks back.

But I really really want it.

huh?

7 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Someone accused Rockstar of making its dev staff pull 100hr weeks in the run up to RDR2 release. 

Lots of Rockstar devs then took to Twatter to flat  out deny it. 

I’d link examples but IDNGAFF. 

You've got that kinda backwards tbh MF.

Rockstar themselves came out stating how proud they were of the 100 hour weeks people pulled to get RDR2 ready, they then relaxed their social media rules to try and get people to come out and say it wasn't the case/a problem and while some did quite a lot spoke to journalists and confirmed that, while 100 hours was the very upper end, several of rockstars studios have terrible overtime expectations/cultures with a "its a privilege to work in this industry/for us" attitude taken to those who didn't like it as they'd be easy to replace.

Its a bad look for Rockstar and a blight on the games industry in general, especially that "youre easy to replace and you should be honoured to work in this industry" attitude.

So yeah, for as little difference as it will make I'll get RDR2 pre-owned so my cash doesn't go to them.

@The Fish ^^

4 hours ago, Ant said:

hardly anything new there like, big hitting company working staff hard

Don't like it leave, and i bet they're paid well enough for it

Thats a very... Tory way of thinking. 

10 minutes ago, Ant said:

Not really, you get paid a premium in places like that because of what is expected, citi are throwing money at certain roles over here compared to other houses, but you'll earn it. 

It's same as  people taking lesser roles in better companies do they can say worked at xyz. 

It's be different if they were being made to do it for free

AH is right that QA will be getting paid very little.

Most of the Rockstar staff are salaried and weren't getting any more money to work the hours they did.

It not being surprising or new doesn't make it wrong or shit, I'd like things to be better because they don't need to be the way they are and I am voting with my wallet.

1 hour ago, Ant said:

Is he? And you're basing that on?

You can get overtime as salaried or contracted staff, ironically I approved our qa guys doing the last two weekends at double time, some contractors some permanent staff working for a testing company and some civil service, two of those three types are salaried. 

One of the automation testers who is not in a  senior role has a 2017  m4 and a merc... Testers get paid well these days 

We're both making assumptions, point being if it was so torrid or they weren't being paid they could leave. 

Anyway has thier hard work been worth it or what? Going get this about Xmas time I think 

I'm basing it on having worked in QA for one of the biggest game publishers in the world and on having friends who still do for a decent variety of studios.

Testers outside the games industry can indeed be paid well, I'm basing that on working as a developer for a regional building society who pays their testers well, so well in fact that they make around twice what I did in my above role. 

You can get overtime, many didn't, I'm basing that on their testimony to journalists in various articles that have been written in the last few weeks.

They could leave aye, jobs are easy to come by these days though.

Games industry QA is largely made up of people just starting out, not yet qualified, young and easily taken advantage of. 

You might think its fine, more power to you, I don't.

RDR2 is apparently really very good though, yeah.

It's a canny game like but there are some highly unethical interactions within the gang and I am often forced to do things I'm not really comfortable with.  I've considered joining other gangs but hear they are just as bad.  

Edited by trophyshy

2 hours ago, trophyshy said:

It's a canny game like but there are some highly unethical interactions within the gang and I am often forced to do things I'm not really comfortable with.  I've considered joining other gangs but hear they are just as bad.  

:lol: And that's to say nothing of the language they use. Blue isn't the word!

• Haha 1

The story irritates me a bit.

Also, while this game is clearly bigger than the first, i feel like the world was larger in the original. I guess because the landscape changed so much. This game is just a snowy region plus grasslands.

Also i dont understand the point of the money.

11 hours ago, Rayvin said:

The story irritates me a bit.

Also, while this game is clearly bigger than the first, i feel like the world was larger in the original. I guess because the landscape changed so much. This game is just a snowy region plus grasslands.

Also i dont understand the point of the money.

Typical Corbyn loving communist.

• Haha 1

Maybe that is indeed my issue :lol:

I can think of a few ways i would have improved this game had I been responsible for designing it but they'd contain too many spoilers for now.

Anyone finished it?

• 2 weeks later...

Can I get 100+ hours out of this game?

I’m quite happy fucking about hunting and collecting shit, I have a worryingly OCD need to do every side mission in a game, and I really enjoyed the previous one. 

I’ve only got enough brownie points to get 1 of the super-duper AAA games before Christmas, it was going to be Fallout 76, but fuck that shite :D

At the minute, I’m torn between Assassins Creed Kebab Shop, and R2D2. 

Help a chap out. 

Also, when’s The Last Of Us 2 out? 

LOU2 is next year, along with every other big Sony exclusive before they roll out the PS5 in 2020.

As for RDR2, you'll get 60 hours out of the story alone, partly because they refuse to let it fucking end but there's also hunting, crafting, side-missions, challenges, the usual open-world fare. The fishing is oddly relaxing.

But, here's a third, better option. Hitman 2 with the add-on that includes all the Hitman 1 levels. You'll never need another game for a year.

• Like 1