O'Neill tops England list

Gemmill

According to todays Journal there will be announcement later this month of good news regarding Martin O'Neill's wife's health and he is more interested in a hands on job like Newcastle than the England job with less day to day involvement.

91629[/snapback]

They've cured the incurable disease?

91633[/snapback]

Cancer is not always incurable, is it?

91643[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure that when O'Neill quit Celtic, it was more a case of when, not if.

(if you get what I mean)

91652[/snapback]

Is that fact or speculation though? I think MON has been rightfully private about the matter.

91656[/snapback]

She has an 'advanced' case of lymphoma. It's treatable but it's not curable and it's certainly degenrative...

I've experienced being in a similar position to him...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

From the journal.

Newcastle United are preparing to go toe-to-toe with the English FA in their search for a new manager as they privately fear they could both make an approach for the same man in the coming weeks.

With the FA busy sifting through the candidates to replace the out-going Sven- Göran Eriksson as coach of the national side and United bidding to find a replacement for the sacked Graeme Souness, there is a definite danger they could decide the same man is ideal to fill their vacancies.

Given the pressure on United's chairman Freddie Shepherd to make up for appointing Souness, the last thing he needs is to identify his number one target and then discover he faces fierce competition from the national team.

What could follow is a high-profile and potentially embarrassing tug-of-war between one of the most powerful clubs in the country and the organisation in charge of game - a dispute which would bring a whole new meaning to a club versus country row.

Shepherd has sensibly distanced himself from the flood of speculation that has swamped the media since Souness' departure last week. But while he has insisted he will take his time in finding the right man for the job, the behind-the-scenes manoeuvring is already underway.

Indeed, The Journal understands that while United have not identified their chief target yet they do have a shortlist in mind, which is remarkably similar to the one drawn up by the FA last week.

Among the expected front-runners on both are former Celtic manager Martin O'Neill, Bolton Wanderers' Sam Allardyce, PSV Eindhoven's Guus Hiddink and Portugal's World Cup winning coach Luiz Felipe Scolari.

With this in mind, Shepherd could decide to wait until the FA have made up their mind about their ideal candidate before deciding on his. Alternatively, he could attempt to take on the FA and hope that he wins the fight for the best man's signature.

Significantly, the uncertainty about the FA's plans could benefit the likes of Eriksson, another rumoured target for Newcastle as United know for certain that he is not wanted by England. Eriksson has his supporters on the United board after the success he had in Italy as a club manager and the Swede's appointment may also strengthen Newcastle's hand when they attempt to make sure Michael Owen remains on Tyneside this summer.

It could also be good news for those who would like to see the former Bayern Munich coach Ottmar Hitzfeld in the St James's Park hot seat as the indication from the highly-rated German is that he is not interested in a national job.

Whatever he decides, there is no question that the FA's search is an unwanted distraction for Shepherd as he looks to employ his fifth United manager in just eight years. One of the main criticisms of the appointment of Souness was the fact the job had been offered to several other managers - including Steve Bruce, David O'Leary and Allardyce - before it was finally given to the Scot.

However, while it would generally be assumed most top managers would prefer the chance to manage the England national side rather than a daunting-looking club job at Newcastle, that may not be the case.

Significantly, while O'Neill is likely to be the first choice of the FA, according to the majority of informed sources, and is also the number one choice of Newcastle supporters, it seems the Northern Irishman is more receptive to the opportunity at St James's Park than many would have envisaged.

O'Neill retired as manager of Celtic because of the ill-health of his wife Geraldine, but sources north of the border have suggested there is good news expected on her condition later this month.

That would free up O'Neill for a return to the day-to-day running of a football club and he is believed to view the vacancy at Newcastle as an ideal challenge at this stage of his career rather than the less hands-on approach of the England job.

Here's hoping.

According to todays Journal there will be announcement later this month of good news regarding Martin O'Neill's wife's health and he is more interested in a hands on job like Newcastle than the England job with less day to day involvement.

91629[/snapback]

91633[/snapback]

91643[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure that when O'Neill quit Celtic, it was more a case of when, not if.

(if you get what I mean)

91652[/snapback]

Is that fact or speculation though? I think MON has been rightfully private about the matter.

91656[/snapback]

She has an 'advanced' case of lymphoma. It's treatable but it's not curable and it's certainly degenrative...

91664[/snapback]

My understanding is that it depends, but many lymphomas are curable.

My understanding is that news is expected this month on the success or otherwise of his wife's treatment, but until then no one really knows if it'll be good or bad news. Hopefully good for his and her sake, obviously, but I think the Journal are jumping the gun - I've read in a few places about them expecting news this month, but this is the first I've read someone decide it'll be good, and unfortunately it's probably to improve their story more than anything else.

From the journal.

Newcastle United are preparing to go toe-to-toe with the English FA in their search for a new manager as they privately fear they could both make an approach for the same man in the coming weeks.

With the FA busy sifting through the candidates to replace the out-going Sven- Göran Eriksson as coach of the national side and United bidding to find a replacement for the sacked Graeme Souness, there is a definite danger they could decide the same man is ideal to fill their vacancies.

Given the pressure on United's chairman Freddie Shepherd to make up for appointing Souness, the last thing he needs is to identify his number one target and then discover he faces fierce competition from the national team.

What could follow is a high-profile and potentially embarrassing tug-of-war between one of the most powerful clubs in the country and the organisation in charge of game - a dispute which would bring a whole new meaning to a club versus country row.

Shepherd has sensibly distanced himself from the flood of speculation that has swamped the media since Souness' departure last week. But while he has insisted he will take his time in finding the right man for the job, the behind-the-scenes manoeuvring is already underway.

Indeed, The Journal understands that while United have not identified their chief target yet they do have a shortlist in mind, which is remarkably similar to the one drawn up by the FA last week.

Among the expected front-runners on both are former Celtic manager Martin O'Neill, Bolton Wanderers' Sam Allardyce, PSV Eindhoven's Guus Hiddink and Portugal's World Cup winning coach Luiz Felipe Scolari.

With this in mind, Shepherd could decide to wait until the FA have made up their mind about their ideal candidate before deciding on his. Alternatively, he could attempt to take on the FA and hope that he wins the fight for the best man's signature.

Significantly, the uncertainty about the FA's plans could benefit the likes of Eriksson, another rumoured target for Newcastle as United know for certain that he is not wanted by England. Eriksson has his supporters on the United board after the success he had in Italy as a club manager and the Swede's appointment may also strengthen Newcastle's hand when they attempt to make sure Michael Owen remains on Tyneside this summer.

It could also be good news for those who would like to see the former Bayern Munich coach Ottmar Hitzfeld in the St James's Park hot seat as the indication from the highly-rated German is that he is not interested in a national job.

Whatever he decides, there is no question that the FA's search is an unwanted distraction for Shepherd as he looks to employ his fifth United manager in just eight years. One of the main criticisms of the appointment of Souness was the fact the job had been offered to several other managers - including Steve Bruce, David O'Leary and Allardyce - before it was finally given to the Scot.

However, while it would generally be assumed most top managers would prefer the chance to manage the England national side rather than a daunting-looking club job at Newcastle, that may not be the case.

Significantly, while O'Neill is likely to be the first choice of the FA, according to the majority of informed sources, and is also the number one choice of Newcastle supporters, it seems the Northern Irishman is more receptive to the opportunity at St James's Park than many would have envisaged.

O'Neill retired as manager of Celtic because of the ill-health of his wife Geraldine, but sources north of the border have suggested there is good news expected on her condition later this month.

That would free up O'Neill for a return to the day-to-day running of a football club and he is believed to view the vacancy at Newcastle as an ideal challenge at this stage of his career rather than the less hands-on approach of the England job.

Here's hoping.

91674[/snapback]

I really hope there is good news concerning her condition, but I'd still rather have Hitzfeld or Hiddink, or even Sven.

From the journal.

Here's hoping.

91674[/snapback]

I really hope there is good news concerning her condition, but I'd still rather have Hitzfeld or Hiddink, or even Sven.

91687[/snapback]

Was just about to say exactly the same thing tbh. Wish his good lady wife all the very best of luck in the world, but I'd hope 'when' she does recover he chooses to spend his time with her rather than at the toon. Experiences like that can lend a completely new perspective to life and you have to wonder if MON could ever be so intense about anything as trivial as football ever again when he's had that to deal with. Speculation of course, could give him even more of a passion for the job and for life, but for me I'd expect him to be far more philosophical about defeat etc, reasoning 'it's only a game'. And tbh I couldnt blame him for that.

91629[/snapback]

91633[/snapback]

91643[/snapback]

(if you get what I mean)

91652[/snapback]

91656[/snapback]

91664[/snapback]

My understanding is that it depends, but many lymphomas are curable.

91679[/snapback]

Let me get this right......you're saying there's a cure for cancer? :lol:

I'm sure the GMC would love to hear your answer! :razz:

Was just about to say exactly the same thing tbh. Wish his good lady wife all the very best of luck in the world, but I'd hope 'when' she does recover he chooses to spend his time with her rather than at the toon. Experiences like that can lend a completely new perspective to life and you have to wonder if MON could ever be so intense about anything as trivial as football ever again when he's had that to deal with. Speculation of course, could give him even more of a passion for the job and for life, but for me I'd expect him to be far more philosophical about defeat etc, reasoning 'it's only a game'. And tbh I couldnt blame him for that.

91692[/snapback]

I think you're speculating wayyyyy too much here. I think it's perfectly possible for him to balance his football with his family life, people have to cope with these things all the time. I mean look at Robson - he got cancer twice and never lost his love for the game.

91697[/snapback]

Eh? Having done a PhD in cancer research, I'd say I'm qualified to say most cancers are curable, yes. What are you on about?

Let me get this right......you're saying there's a cure for cancer? :razz:

91697[/snapback]

Eh? Having done a PhD in cancer research, I'd say I'm qualified to say most cancers are curable, yes. What are you on about?

91708[/snapback]

Oh my God, so you're Blaydon :lol:

91697[/snapback]

91708[/snapback]

Well fuck me, in the 9 years since my Mam died of cancer when all of them were incurable, they've come on in leaps and bounds in the field of cancer curing. What's the name of the doctor? I'm surprised he hasn't been all over the news tbqh!

91692[/snapback]

I think you're speculating wayyyyy too much here. I think it's perfectly possible for him to balance his football with his family life, people have to cope with these things all the time. I mean look at Robson - he got cancer twice and never lost his love for the game.

91700[/snapback]

Total speculation I grant you. I think it's possibly different getting ill yourself though (Robson) and responding by doing something that clearly makes you happy (manage football teams). Where it's somone else thats been ill however the reaction can be to want to spend more time with them as you realise how precious they are to you. Plus unlike Robson, O'Neill strikes me as someone who never gets any joy out of football at all.

Edited by manc-mag

91697[/snapback]

91708[/snapback]

Well fuck me, in the 9 years since my Mam died of cancer when all of them were incurable, they've come on in leaps and bounds in the field of cancer curing. What's the name of the doctor? I'm surprised he hasn't been all over the news tbqh!

91716[/snapback]

Craig, I haven't got a clue what you're on about. The vast majority of types of cancer can be cured, but that doesn't mean it's always succesful on an individual basis. I never said there was a panacea.

However, to suggest all cancer is incurable is just wrong and hardly morale boosting for those who have been diagnosed with it.

I'm sure the GMC would love to hear your answer! ;)

91697[/snapback]

91708[/snapback]

91716[/snapback]

I think we might possibly be arguing over definitions of 'cure' and 'successful treatment'????

Sounds awful any way you look at it though and I'm really sorry to hear about your personal experiences, mate.

91697[/snapback]

91708[/snapback]

91716[/snapback]

I think we might possibly be arguing over definitions of 'cure' and 'successful treatment'????

Sounds awful any way you look at it though and I'm really sorry to hear about your personal experiences, mate.

91729[/snapback]

Yeah I know Sammy, I'm splitting hairs really. ;)

Cancer is treatable, and you can go into remission....

But to the present day, no cancer is actually curable.

I think Renton is sort of right in what he says like, people are treated for cancer and 'cured' for long periods of time. Yes, it can come back, but I think what he means is it's not neccesarily a death sentance anymore. My ma's had it 3 times, in 10 year cycles, and had it 'cured' as such in that it went away and she's been able to live a normal life, minus a bit of pancreas but you can't have it all...

91697[/snapback]

Surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy are three treatments for cancer which have been proven to ensure it is eradicated in certain individual cases. Not to say it won't return, but people do make a full recovery and it doesn't always re-occur.

My dad was diagnosed with throat cancer in 1989. He had treatment which was successful. After 10 years of being in remission he was told he no longer needed to have check-ups. He remains clear of it. (touch wood)

91697[/snapback]

91708[/snapback]

91716[/snapback]

91729[/snapback]

Yeah I know Sammy, I'm splitting hairs really. ;)

Cancer is treatable, and you can go into remission....

But to the present day, no cancer is actually curable.

91736[/snapback]

First off Craig, I can obviously sympathise you've lost a person very close to you through cancer, so have I. But you're wrong, it can be cured in many people. If it doesn't come back in 5 years, it's not coming back. How is that not a cure? 99% of people who get non-malignant melanoma skin cancer are cured, for instance. It's a myth that it's incurable, and an unfair burden to put on survivors.

Edited by Renton

91697[/snapback]

Surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy are three treatments for cancer which have been proven to ensure it is eradicated in certain individual cases. Not to say it won't return, but people do make a full recovery and it doesn't always re-occur.

My dad was diagnosed with throat cancer in 1989. He had treatment which was successful. After 10 years of being in remission he was told he no longer needed to have check-ups. He remains clear of it. (touch wood)

91741[/snapback]

But he's in classed as being in 'remission' rather than 'cured', no?

91697[/snapback]

91741[/snapback]

But he's in classed as being in 'remission' rather than 'cured', no?

91766[/snapback]

No. If he was still classed as being in remission, he'd still be having 6-monthly check-ups. After 10 years of them, he's classed as cured from that occurence.

Without wanting to complicate this thread; isn't it all down to what stage she's at?

Patients with stage IV disease rarely live beyond 5 years, and the median survival (meaning half the patients live longer, and half shorter) with treatment is between 1 and 2 years.

Without wanting to complicate this thread; isn't it all down to what stage she's at?

Patients with stage IV disease rarely live beyond 5 years, and the median survival (meaning half the patients live longer, and half shorter) with treatment is between 1 and 2 years.

91776[/snapback]

Whoa there! :lol: You ARE complicating things. Even some patients with stage IV cancers do survive it.

We shouldn't really be speculating about Mr O'Neills wife's cancer when we actually know fuck all about it. I'm sure things will become public knowledge as and when they see fit.

91776[/snapback]

Yes, it does, although there is always hope, however unlikely.

Btw, to maybe clear things up hopefully, cancer is usually considered cured if it goes into remission for 5 years or more. At this stage, it is assumed that all the malignant cells have been killed by treatment or the body's immune system. I can only recall of one case of someone dying from recurrence after this time. It can happen, but it's incredibly rare, so rare in fact that you can effectively discount it.