Coldplay

LeazesMag

to be honest. musicians shouldn't care about their audience size or dedication, great if they play to millions of people but i don't think it irks the smaller bands, in the slightest, that they don't sell out wembley or make millions from their records because ultimately, one plays music for the pleasure of playing it - anything else is a bonus.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BigThompers
The venues they are playing are 20-25K.

The 'Biggest band in the world' would surely get more?

Muse got 60 thousand at Wembley by the way...

Coldplay have sold 3 gigs out at the o2 Arena. Why wouldn't they just do Wembley instead? I'm fairly sure that getting as many people into one gig as possible isn't top of their agenda.

Well Muse did two nights at Wembley so whereas Coldplay will get approx 66k in three days, Muse got 120k in two days.

And? The fact that they sell out every venue they play at will generally tell you that if they played a bigger venue, they'd get a bigger audience. We're a bigger football club than Liverpool are we, seeing as we get 50k crowds and they don't :up:

A bigger act gets a bigger audience + Muse sell out every venue.

In the UK you cant pick the 2 apart for success.

But Muse can't sell as many records?

Simply because they aren't as radio friendly as Coldplay and they aren't really pop music.

So they aren't as big then :lol:

And? The fact that they sell out every venue they play at will generally tell you that if they played a bigger venue, they'd get a bigger audience. We're a bigger football club than Liverpool are we, seeing as we get 50k crowds and they don't :up:

So will they be playing to more people than U2 did on the Vertigo tour - Yes or No?

BTW a quick google had record sales for U2 Vs Coldplay at 137m Vs 20m - isn't that a bit of a Real Madrid Vs Hartlepool comparison?

And if we go off 80s success then Liverpool are the biggest club in the premiership today?

Liverpool have one more trophies than other English team in history - they have a shout as the biggest team - yes.

On that Analogy you could call Coldplay Chelsea - are Chelsea a bigger club than Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal?

Guest BigThompers
who cares!

popularity has never been and never will be indicative of quality.

"Biggest" band in the world, nobody said anything about being the best.

Guest BigThompers

So will they be playing to more people than U2 did on the Vertigo tour - Yes or No?

BTW a quick google had record sales for U2 Vs Coldplay at 137m Vs 20m - isn't that a bit of a Real Madrid Vs Hartlepool comparison?

And if we go off 80s success then Liverpool are the biggest club in the premiership today?

Liverpool have one more trophies than other English team in history - they have a shout as the biggest team - yes.

On that Analogy you could call Coldplay Chelsea - are Chelsea a bigger club than Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal?

Why Chelsea?

Recent success no band is bigger. Therefore they're more Man Utd.

who cares!

I said a lot earlier in this thread that I quite like Coldplay - tastes are fair enough and shouldn't be up for more than semi-serious discussion but someone declaring them to be the biggest band in the world needs to be corrected imo.

who cares!

NJS and I have proved they are not the biggest band in the world.

In the next few years they might be but not now.

Why Chelsea?

American idiot which was Green Day's last album sold more than Coldplay's last album - thing is Green Day have a more than 3 album history which is reflected in their place in the "league".

Guest BigThompers
who cares!

NJS and I have proved they are not the biggest band in the world.

In the next few years they might be but not now.

:up: HOW IN THE FUCK HAVE YOU! YOU'VE ACHIEVED NOTHING OTHER THAN EMBARRASSING YOURSELF!

I've proved that they're the biggest band in the world.

If you can provide me with a band, including evidence to suggest, that isn't retired that could release an album to outsell coldplays upcoming album, then I'll consider myself proved wrong.

Guest BigThompers

Why Chelsea?

American idiot which was Green Day's last album sold more than Coldplay's last album - thing is Green Day have a more than 3 album history which is reflected in their place in the "league".

American idiot was released before X&Y, during the broadband revolution I believe. What does this tell us?

Guest BigThompers
U2.

American Idiot sold 14,603,300 copies.

That accounts for nearly half Coldplays entire sales. :up:

But since Coldplay were formed both them and U2 have had 3 albums.

Coldplays sales from these 3 are double that of U2s.

So where is your evidence to suggest that a U2 album would outsell them? When this is provided I'll accept defeat.

U2.

So where is your evidence to suggest that a U2 album would outsell them? When this is provided I'll accept defeat.

How to Dismantle an atomic bomb = 8 million copies

All that you can't leave behind = 12 million

That's 20m already.

I don't know what Pop! (1997) sold but it was number 1 in 35 countries so that's enough I guess.

and that doesn't sound like ''double'' to me :lol:

Guest BigThompers
U2.

That's 20m already.

I don't know what Pop! (1997) sold but it was number 1 in 35 countries so that's enough I guess.

Ok not double, but less.

U2.

U2 have only released 2 albums since Coldplay released Parachutes.

Coldplay are a pop band in the main - if housewives decide they like the single the album will sell well - if they don't and it doesn't the band are fucked and will disappear - they have no real fanbase like some of the other bands mentioned on here like U2, Radiohead and even Oasis. They might win the trophy for album sales this year but in 5 years time will people look back on them the way the look back on "proper" bands? - will they fuck.

They also do not have the fanbase to do a major US tour - a massive factor is US CD sales.

U2.

That's 20m already.

Ok not double, but less.

Parachutes was released in 1999 I believe - Coldplay sales and income 1996-1999 - 23p.

U2.

That's 20m already.

Ok not double, but less.

Maybe not less I don't know what Pop! sold.

We'l go from 2000.

Coldplay 3 Albums = 30m sales

U2 2 albums = 20m sales...

Guest BigThompers
U2.

U2 have only released 2 albums since Coldplay released Parachutes.

Coldplay are a pop band in the main - if housewives decide they like the single the album will sell well - if they don't and it doesn't the band are fucked and will disappear - they have no real fanbase like some of the other bands mentioned on here like U2, Radiohead and even Oasis. They might win the trophy for album sales this year but in 5 years time will people look back on them the way the look back on "proper" bands? - will they fuck.

They also do not have the fanbase to do a major US tour - a massive factor is US CD sales.

It could be the fact that they have young families etc that they don't do a 'major' US tour. Though I wouldn't call their current U.S tour small.

Suggesting that coldplay have no real fanbase is the most idiotic statement I've ever read and you, sir, are the biggest fucking idiot I've ever encountered.

And your statement about "5 years time" is another joke. The fact that they have been around for 8 years and that each album has sold more than it's predecessor suggests that in 5 years time they'll be bigger.

Post anymore shit like this and it'll just get ignored because it's utter tripe.

Guest BigThompers
U2.

That's 20m already.

Ok not double, but less.

We'l go from 2000.

Pop only sold 1 mill in the U.S so it's safe to say it's less.

Guest BigThompers

Last album - 2005 - X&Y.

Won Q Award

category Best Act In The World Today

Thanks. Bye.

U2.

That's 20m already.

Ok not double, but less.

We'l go from 2000.

Pop only sold 1 mill in the U.S so it's safe to say it's less.

It's also the lowest selling album in U2's catalogue.

Maybe try Joshua Tree (20 million) or something for highest