Favourite current TV shows

Jimbo

I have got it with me today actually - it's got my ipod and some other stuff in it - an invaluable addition to any man's wardrobe.  I'm all about the accessories tbh.

111800[/snapback]

Brimming with show tunes, no doubt.

Just finished watching "The Contest", I am thoroughly unimpressed, can someone explain to me what;s genius about it?

111940[/snapback]

:o 20GB of Streisand.

Seinfeld's crap man, just give up on it!

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Gear - Some of the best Sunday nights i've had have been spent infront of the TV watching Clarkson fiddle with his gear knob

Family Guy - The only show I go out of my way to download US episodes of

The Mighty Boosh - Dunno whether they'll be a third series of it

Harry Hill's TV Burp - Never used to like it but I've started to watch it properly and its hilarious.

I have got it with me today actually - it's got my ipod and some other stuff in it - an invaluable addition to any man's wardrobe.  I'm all about the accessories tbh.

111800[/snapback]

Just finished watching "The Contest", I am thoroughly unimpressed, can someone explain to me what;s genius about it?

111940[/snapback]

The fact that at 8pm on American network tv they do a half hour show about wanking. That a woman is involved. That this was 13 years before uproar when Janet Jackson revealed a bit of bosom. That it's perfectly clear they are talking about wanking but never come out and say it.

Seminal tbh

Top Gear - Some of the best Sunday nights i've had have been spent infront of the TV watching Clarkson fiddle with his gear knob

Harry Hill's TV Burp - Never used to like it but I've started to watch it properly and its hilarious.

111945[/snapback]

Good shout, well funny.

111800[/snapback]

111940[/snapback]

Why does Gemmill like chocolate? The reasons for liking a comedy are usually not that easy to explain.

The first episode I saw was one where Seinfeld starts going to a restaurant because he feels sorry for its owner (as no one else eats there). A feeling I am well familiar with. Of course, all this serves to do is boost Seinfeld's opinion of what a good person he is, and it all ends in tears. I was hooked from then on. For me, it's about the characters, storylines, and the pure surrealism of it all, absent from most other comedies.

Btw, I wasn't particularly keen on the Contest, a bit ott imo.... :o

The fact that at 8pm on American network tv they do a half hour show about wanking.  That a woman is involved. That this was 13 years before uproar when Janet Jackson revealed a bit of bosom.  That it's perfectly clear they are talking about wanking but never come out and say it.

Seminal tbh

111948[/snapback]

:o

Says more about what's wrong with the World than what's right with the show. To call it genius is excessive, because of a woman being involved? And the allusions are hardly clever, nothing you wouldn't get from a bunch of teenagers.

111945[/snapback]

Good shout, well funny.

111949[/snapback]

Excellent show in its second series, ripping the piss out of shows and people who really do deserve it, with the odd surreal bit of Harry's humour thrown in.

Put me down for a tick in the 'Seinfeld nerd' box. In the last fortnight, seasons 1-4 have been watched and seasons 5-6 are currently in the post courtesy of play.com (thanks HF).

111800[/snapback]

111940[/snapback]

The fact that at 8pm on American network tv they do a half hour show about wanking. That a woman is involved. That this was 13 years before uproar when Janet Jackson revealed a bit of bosom. That it's perfectly clear they are talking about wanking but never come out and say it.

Seminal tbh

111948[/snapback]

thats one of the reasons I dislike it so much. snigger, wanking, snigger.. Come on, if thats comedy arise King Smooth

Edited by luckypierre

111945[/snapback]

Good shout, well funny.

111949[/snapback]

Excellent show in its second series, ripping the piss out of shows and people who really do deserve it, with the odd surreal bit of Harry's humour thrown in.

111956[/snapback]

I'm glad it moved on and became a bit more offensive. Some of his recent bits ripping the piss out of Derek Ocorah have had me rolling on the floor howling. And i'm sure Emmerdale write the script with TV Burp in mind aswell.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is SO much better than Seinfeld simply because it doesn't have Seinfeld and that annoying tosser Kramer in it.  FACTAMUNDO!

111962[/snapback]

You had my sympathy with the Harry Hill thing, but it's just gone out the window.

Why does Gemmill like chocolate? The reasons for liking a comedy are usually not that easy to explain.

The first episode I saw was one where Seinfeld starts going to a restaurant because he feels sorry for its owner (as no one else eats there). A feeling I am well familiar with. Of course, all this serves to do is boost Seinfeld's opinion of what a good person he is, and it all ends in tears. I was hooked from then on. For me, it's about the characters, storylines, and the pure surrealism of it all, absent from most other comedies.

111953[/snapback]

Why someone likes comedy is a tough nut to crack, even the experts don't agree, but you can still see how clever someone's been in putting it together. Larry David's brilliant but as of yet I've seen nothing particularly clever in Seinfeld.

My brother, who's always got the same taste as me keeps on at me to watch more of it, which is why I've persevered, but I'm just not seeing it.

111945[/snapback]

Good shout, well funny.

111949[/snapback]

111956[/snapback]

I'm glad it moved on and became a bit more offensive. Some of his recent bits ripping the piss out of Derek Ocorah have had me rolling on the floor howling. And i'm sure Emmerdale write the script with TV Burp in mind aswell.

111964[/snapback]

Thats why i was really surpised when derek appeared in the studio in the last episode this week!

thats one of the reasons I dislike it so much. snigger, wanking, snigger.. Come on, if thats comedy arise King Smooth

111961[/snapback]

SO is quite humourous, but I don't think he could get his humour on air at 8pm.

Edited by Happy Face

111953[/snapback]

Why someone likes comedy is a tough nut to crack, even the experts don't agree, but you can still see how clever someone's been in putting it together. Larry David's brilliant but as of yet I've seen nothing particularly clever in Seinfeld.

111969[/snapback]

Its true, it can often be hard to understand why somebody likes something you don't and vice versa.

As for the "experts" i'm not sure who they would be, but in this case if you classed commedians and comedy writers as the experts then Seinfeld would be voted no. 1 or very close as they all love it.

111961[/snapback]

SO is quite humourous, but I don't think he could get his humour on air at 8pm.

111972[/snapback]

Probably have to wait till 9 over here but yeah he'd be the antichrist in the states.

Comedy for repressed white people tbh. Reason why it was so successful in the US

Probably have to wait till 9 over here but yeah he'd be the antichrist in the states.

Comedy for repressed white people tbh. Reason why it was so successful in the US

111978[/snapback]

You're thinking of Everybody Loves Raymond.

Its true, it can often be hard to understand why somebody likes something you don't and vice versa.

As for the "experts" i'm not sure who they would be, but in this case if you classed commedians and comedy writers as the experts then Seinfeld would be voted no. 1 or very close as they all love it.

111975[/snapback]

I'm not just talking about television or stage, so Sigmund Freud for me, he told some of the shittest jokes going, but I've yet to see his explanations beaten. The lads who do it tend to be naturals, they know what's funny, but they're not sure why. It also a moving target, I think, keeps evolving, but the principles are still the same.

Harry Hill isn't funny like.  That's not up for debate by the way.

111960[/snapback]

I think he's quite a funny person when in TV Burp and when I see him in interviews etc, but his stand up leaves me cold. Same with Ross Noble, when Channel 4 showed his live act I turned it off after 5 minutes.