Jenas chants

Renton

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone saying that sort of thing, i.e. threat to kill someone, is a fucking numpty too aren't they? It's a bit different though I reckon to derogotary remarks made on the basis a player is black or the assumption they are gay. The former is more the supasimonwood school of making a threat you know you aren't going to carry out, unless you say it to Eric Cantona ;) whereas the latter is a hateful, ignorant comment. That said, while I don't that sort of thing, I'm prepared to accept people say things that are out of character and that they don't mean in the heat of the moment at the match.

Its a horrible subject and the easiest view to take is one of the extremes. I agree completely with Meenzer. the thing is if you're going to take the view that those chants are homophobic then so is a lot of the humour on this board. I know Gemmill said in the thread on NO that theres a difference between him calling his mate gay for a laugh and those chanting at Jenas. When it coems down to it though there isnt. They both reinforce that being gay is in someway a negative. Its an incredibly difficult thing to do but theres got to be some judgement on the context

113798[/snapback]

I take your point, but I think me calling my mate a puff in a jokey manner or joking on here with Meenzer is pretty far removed from a crowd of people victimising a lad on a football field. I'm sure they weren't doing it in the hope that Jenas would see the funny side.

Ah yes well, lots of numptys around sadly ;) I think its all basically in the context a statement is made. An example, I lad who used to be in a circle of friends, black. We would often joke together about me dancing like a wooden white boy and him like a funky nigger. Now, there was nothing racisit in it what so ever. But if I had made monkey noises to him while he was dancing, and in a derogatory way, then that would have been racist (and he would have planted me but thats another issue).

Back to the JJ thing though. I agree that in some cases the chants were funny. Fact is, I have no idea if he is Gay, Bi or Straight, also I couldnt care less. He deserved the stick he got. As for any homophobic chants Im not sure exactly what was sung so I cant say if I think it was right or wrong. Though Taxi for Rockshots I would put in the "humour" catagory. While if someone shouted abuse for being Gay then that would be simplly wrong.

Its a horrible subject and the easiest view to take is one of the extremes. I agree completely with Meenzer. the thing is if you're going to take the view that those chants are homophobic then so is a lot of the humour on this board. I know Gemmill said in the thread on NO that theres a difference between him calling his mate gay for a laugh and those chanting at Jenas. When it coems down to it though there isnt. They both reinforce that being gay is in someway a negative. Its an incredibly difficult thing to do but theres got to be some judgement on the context

113798[/snapback]

I take your point, but I think me calling my mate a puff in a jokey manner or joking on here with Meenzer is pretty far removed from a crowd of people victimising a lad on a football field. I'm sure they weren't doing it in the hope that Jenas would see the funny side.

113812[/snapback]

I agree fwiw. Gemmill and me have been taking the piss out of each other being gay on here for months now, even though its clear neither of us are (well not me anyway, as for Gemmill... ;) ). But it's not malicious. It couldn't be, because I don't even regard it as an insult, just a laugh.

If we can have a ;)  smiley, can we get a blacked up one too, and one with a skull cap and twirly sideburns, and one licking carpet, and one tarmacking a driveway?

113825[/snapback]

Think you've lost me. Is licking a carpet a reference to rug munchers? As for tarmacking a driveway, wtf? :):)

If we can have a ;)  smiley, can we get a blacked up one too, and one with a skull cap and twirly sideburns, and one licking carpet, and one tarmacking a driveway?

113825[/snapback]

Think you've lost me. Is licking a carpet a reference to rug munchers? As for tarmacking a driveway, wtf? :):slap:

113827[/snapback]

gypos :)

FWIW IMO FWIW could be the new TBH

113834[/snapback]

'FWIW' is blatantly gay tbh!

113839[/snapback]

Get back to me when you're macho enough to be allowed to talk to your mates when you're out with your lass ;)

113834[/snapback]

113839[/snapback]

I get credit for fwiw. But imho I think we should make good judicious use of all the abbreviations tbh.

And we need a pink font colour. Or better still a rainbow coloured one, purple doesn't do it for me.

113834[/snapback]

113839[/snapback]

Get back to me when you're macho enough to be allowed to talk to your mates when you're out with your lass :)

113841[/snapback]

;)

She had him on a tight leash like. I don't think I even saw him get up to go to the toilet cos he'd have had to have walked past all of us to do so. :)

113834[/snapback]

113839[/snapback]

I get credit for fwiw. But imho I think we should make good judicious use of all the abbreviations tbh.

And we need a pink font colour. Or better still a rainbow coloured one, purple doesn't do it for me.

113842[/snapback]

FWIW ATEOTD is best TBH.

113834[/snapback]

113839[/snapback]

113842[/snapback]

FWIW ATEOTD is best TBH.

113848[/snapback]

I always thought DVDA was the best. Dont see it used very often though

113834[/snapback]

113839[/snapback]

Get back to me when you're macho enough to be allowed to talk to your mates when you're out with your lass :)

113841[/snapback]

;)

She had him on a tight leash like. I don't think I even saw him get up to go to the toilet cos he'd have had to have walked past all of us to do so. :)

113843[/snapback]

I didnt need the toilet cos I'd only had the 12 pints at that stage! Cottagers tbh! :lol::slap:

113834[/snapback]

113839[/snapback]

113841[/snapback]

;)

113843[/snapback]

I didnt need the toilet cos I'd only had the 12 pints at that stage! Cottagers tbh! :lol::slap:

113854[/snapback]

She made you wear a nappy tbh.

At the end of the day?

113855[/snapback]

Indeed. The most pointless bit of extraneous dialogue invented to give stupid people time to think out what they want to say before doing it. Her off the apprentice being the worst offender outside football.

Is this the lass Mancy was trying to impress by taking her to Zizis?  :)

Why the bejeebus did he take her to meet you lot?  :)

113860[/snapback]

We never actually got to meet her ;)