Jenas chants

Renton

Whenever I took my kids to a football match I always told them that I am a different person when inside the ground.

Football is an emotive game where we sing, clap, laugh, shout, cry, worry, praise and indeed abuse players. When we are not at a match we are normal people again.

I shout abuse in the belief that if I can get someone to lose their concentration for even one nano-second then I have succeeded in spoiling their effectiveness. That is why we all shout abuse, surely??

Naturally there are things that shouldn't be shouted, but that is not for me to decide what is right or wrong - our own consciences should tell us whether or not to join in. 'Jenas takes it up the arse' imo is not wrong and is just an attempt to get him to lose concentration. Anyone hearing me sing this ( I didn't caus I wasn't there) and thinking I was homophobic would just be misguided - as nothing could be further from the truth.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well i dont agree with it being a problem. Jenas hasnt come out as being gay therefore I dont see it as homophobic also the chant of "JJ takes it up the arse" doesnt really seem homophobic to me as its either true or not, are we going to stop calling Crouch a "lanky twat" or a "geet massive  mong"?

113560[/snapback]

You don't think "Jenas takes it up the arse" was sang with vitriol, you don't think it was intended to be an insult? Do you think the chants would stop if he came out and admitted he was gay? You can't tell the difference between taking the piss out of someone's race or sexuality and the fact they are tall?

I wasn't surprised by some of the posts on N-O as I kind of expect it over there, but I have to say this coming from you surprises me.

113565[/snapback]

But REALLY what is the difference, why is someone's physical appearance different in the slagging league than their sexuality ??????

113568[/snapback]

People aren't descriminated against on the basis of their appearance (at least not overtly). They aren't beaten up in the streets because of it, or refused jobs, or murdered. The problem I can see with these chants is that it reinforces prejudice already present in a small minority of idiots who can't cope with people having a different sexuality. I can't see much of a difference between it and racism; using your logic do you think it's OK to insult someone on the basis of their race?

But as I said, I am also wary about over-sanitization in the game, and share LuckyPierre's reservations to an extent.

113573[/snapback]

Thats why I'm so up for arguing about this - taking the piss out of Dennis Wise etc, etc can be nasty but in comparison with re-inforcing an attitude that actually gets people murdered its completely harmless.

THere was something on the SMB yesterday about the president of Levski Sofia calling Mike Riley "a british homosexual" to which the FA said they found it deeply offensive. In my view thats put badly as if he was gay (or even if he wasn't) then it shouldn't be "offensive" to be called that as theres nowt wrong with it.

What is wrong is that there is an intent with the statement to cause offence which comes from the bigotry that drives it and can lead to violence

well i dont agree with it being a problem. Jenas hasnt come out as being gay therefore I dont see it as homophobic also the chant of "JJ takes it up the arse" doesnt really seem homophobic to me as its either true or not, are we going to stop calling Crouch a "lanky twat" or a "geet massive  mong"?

113560[/snapback]

You don't think "Jenas takes it up the arse" was sang with vitriol, you don't think it was intended to be an insult? Do you think the chants would stop if he came out and admitted he was gay? You can't tell the difference between taking the piss out of someone's race or sexuality and the fact they are tall?

I wasn't surprised by some of the posts on N-O as I kind of expect it over there, but I have to say this coming from you surprises me.

113565[/snapback]

maybe I didnt put the point forward very well, is it homophobic to state that someone takes it up the arse? what constitutes homophobic chanting? is the following racist? "Shola is black", its quite clear that "Shola is a black ba....." would be racist but Im not sure the first is. Therefore is "JJ takes it up the arse"? If Meenzer was to sing it would that make him homophobic?

What are we allowed to take the piss out of these days then? and frankly what makes the abuse of someone being tall or short any less hurtful? can we not sing the likes of "wheres your drunken centre half?" if an alcoholic player is around? Keep going the way we are and soon there will be no banter at matches, players get paid shitloads of money, one of the downsides of this is they have to face thousands of fans who want to see them fail, week in week out. How you live your life shows in how people treat you. If a player was straight but enjoyed taking a phone up their arse would that be ok to rip the piss out of?

113574[/snapback]

I agree, and I don't know what the acceptable line is and when it's crossed. However, reading on N-O it's clear a lot of people who think the chant is OK are clearly prejudiced, going on about "unnatural" acts and the like. On the one hand, this type of chant is not going to help homosexual players come out the closet and start being true to themselves (which will have a knock on effect with the general population), but on the other hand banning it is going to make football grounds increasingly sterile. Difficult one.

However, I think the chants should at least try and be humourous like the "taxi for Rockshots" one. I did laugh at that.

113577[/snapback]

That'd be me ;)

Got Gemmill baaa baa in a right tissy

The point is you don't know how many people get a kicking because of their appearance because it doesn't make the news, but I'd guess there's more gingas and fat lads beaten up than gays every week

113560[/snapback]

113565[/snapback]

maybe I didnt put the point forward very well, is it homophobic to state that someone takes it up the arse? what constitutes homophobic chanting? is the following racist? "Shola is black", its quite clear that "Shola is a black ba....." would be racist but Im not sure the first is. Therefore is "JJ takes it up the arse"? If Meenzer was to sing it would that make him homophobic?

What are we allowed to take the piss out of these days then? and frankly what makes the abuse of someone being tall or short any less hurtful? can we not sing the likes of "wheres your drunken centre half?" if an alcoholic player is around? Keep going the way we are and soon there will be no banter at matches, players get paid shitloads of money, one of the downsides of this is they have to face thousands of fans who want to see them fail, week in week out. How you live your life shows in how people treat you. If a player was straight but enjoyed taking a phone up their arse would that be ok to rip the piss out of?

113574[/snapback]

I agree, and I don't know what the acceptable line is and when it's crossed. However, reading on N-O it's clear a lot of people who think the chant is OK are clearly prejudiced, going on about "unnatural" acts and the like. On the one hand, this type of chant is not going to help homosexual players come out the closet and start being true to themselves (which will have a knock on effect with the general population), but on the other hand banning it is going to make football grounds increasingly sterile. Difficult one.

However, I think the chants should at least try and be humourous like the "taxi for Rockshots" one. I did laugh at that.

113577[/snapback]

That'd be me ;)

The point is you don't know how many people get a kicking because of their appearance because it doesn't make the news, but I'd guess there's more gingas and fat lads beaten up than gays every week

113583[/snapback]

Found this on a government statistics site:

pie4ca.jpg

Well I think the chants were out of order. I didn't hear them at the match, but all this craic about "it was just a joke" or "he hasn't even come out so it can't be homophobia" are excuses. I'm all for having a laugh and can take the piss and have the piss taken out of me about anything, and I CAN see the humour in a spontaneous thing like "Taxi for Rockshots" but when a bunch of people chant "gay-boy" and "takes it up the arse" to a young lad who may or may not be struggling with his sexuality, I think it's out of order. And I'm amazed at the number of people prepared to laugh it off as acceptable. If that's me taking myself too seriously as has been suggested, then that's just fine with me.

Well I think the chants were out of order.  I didn't hear them at the match, but all this craic about "it was just a joke" or "he hasn't even come out so it can't be homophobia" are excuses.  I'm all for having a laugh and can take the piss and have the piss taken out of me about anything, and I CAN see the humour in a spontaneous thing like "Taxi for Rockshots" but when a bunch of people chant "gay-boy" and "takes it up the arse" to a young lad who may or may not be struggling with his sexuality, I think it's out of order.  And I'm amazed at the number of people prepared to laugh it off as acceptable.  If that's me taking myself too seriously as has been suggested, then that's just fine with me.

113591[/snapback]

Puff

;)

People need to grow up and stop being so sensitive to societal vernacular. All those crying over the chants, switch yourself off, life will offend you.

113588[/snapback]

I would have thought you'd be more sensitive to this sort of thing, what with your confusion over whether your the interviewer or the interviewee. ;)

People need to grow up and stop being so sensitive to societal vernacular. All those crying over the chants, switch yourself off, life will offend you.

113588[/snapback]

I would have thought you'd be more sensitive to this sort of thing, what with your confusion over whether your the interviewer or the interviewee. ;)

113594[/snapback]

Fuck off bum tickler.

113588[/snapback]

113594[/snapback]

Fuck off bum tickler.

113596[/snapback]

:)

113583[/snapback]

Got you a permanent IP ban as well. What a dickhead. ;)

113599[/snapback]

Like I could give a shit, but Bloody hell censorship in all it's glory.

It's OK to post someone's personal details but drop a bit of bait and KAZAM

Bunch of bloody stupid kids over there anywhere.

113583[/snapback]

113599[/snapback]

113602[/snapback]

You posted "Thank fuck for AIDS" in a thread discussing homophobia. What did you expect??

And the bloke that posted someone's personal details is posting on here now cos he got banned.

113583[/snapback]

113599[/snapback]

113602[/snapback]

You posted "Thank fuck for AIDS" in a thread discussing homophobia. What did you expect??

And the bloke that posted someone's personal details is posting on here now cos he got banned.

113604[/snapback]

I can vouch for that, he told me personally.

113583[/snapback]

113599[/snapback]

113602[/snapback]

113604[/snapback]

To be precise I posted "thank fuck for aids eh?" with a fishing smiley

Clearly a wind-up, but the collective obviously didn't see it that way.

Anyway it's not important, there was never much decent footy crack over there and seeing I don't play any version of championship manager I was always WAY out of the conversation :)

And the IP ban is irrelevant anyway, should I choose to metamorphosize (how do you spell that hmmmmm)

Edited by Toonpack

113583[/snapback]

113599[/snapback]

113602[/snapback]

113604[/snapback]

Anyway it's not important, there was never much decent footy crack over there and seeing I don't play any version of championship manager I was always WAY out of the conversation :)

113606[/snapback]

Stick around mate, we could do with some decent members like you.

113583[/snapback]

113599[/snapback]

113602[/snapback]

113604[/snapback]

113606[/snapback]

113608[/snapback]

:)

113583[/snapback]

113599[/snapback]

113602[/snapback]

113604[/snapback]

113606[/snapback]

113608[/snapback]

No need for sarcasm. A bit of fishing never did anyone any harm.

You think I'm bad you wanna try being a lefty on some right wing American forums for a laugh, the scary thing is those bastards have guns

113583[/snapback]

113599[/snapback]

113602[/snapback]

113604[/snapback]

113606[/snapback]

113608[/snapback]

No need for sarcasm. A bit of fisting never did anyone any harm.

You think I'm bad you wanna try being a lefty on some right wing American forums for a laugh, the scary thing is those bastards have guns

113612[/snapback]

If you say so.

113583[/snapback]

113599[/snapback]

113602[/snapback]

113604[/snapback]

113606[/snapback]

113608[/snapback]

Fuck off! Don't lumber us with him and then fuck off back to N-O! :)

113583[/snapback]

113599[/snapback]

113602[/snapback]

113604[/snapback]

113606[/snapback]

113608[/snapback]

No need for sarcasm. A bit of fisting never did anyone any harm.

113612[/snapback]

If you say so.

113613[/snapback]

Editting smack (to give it it's proper title) is for children.

113583[/snapback]

113599[/snapback]

113602[/snapback]

113604[/snapback]

113606[/snapback]

113608[/snapback]

Fuck off! Don't lumber us with him and then fuck off back to N-O! :)

113614[/snapback]

You fuck off, I was invited here when this place re-opened.

It's all Scottish Mags fault