Have we paid Mark Lawrenson compensation ?

Jimbo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...rem/4890794.stm

Newcastle v Wigan

Wigan have been impressive on their travels - their away form far superior to that at home - but I think Newcastle will have a strong end to the season.

I think they have looked at their remaining fixtures and decided that they can win most of them.

With Alan Shearer's retirement imminent I also expect him to find the net a few times between now and the end of the season.

Seems fair enough, although the last sentence will reqiure us getting a few penalties.

120570[/snapback]

Depressingly Shearer is still our top scorer with 9 goals. Only two were penalties.

Shouldn't bite but this constant criticism of Shearer seemingly ignores the fact our other strikers just aren't doing it either. So there.

Seems fair enough, although the last sentence will reqiure us getting a few penalties.

120570[/snapback]

Depressingly Shearer is still our top scorer with 9 goals. Only two were penalties.

Shouldn't bite but this constant criticism of Shearer seemingly ignores the fact our other strikers just aren't doing it either. So there.

120574[/snapback]

Did you see the match against Boro btw Renton? Perfect illustration of why I have a pop at Shearer's performances now. It's embarrassing man. Nothing against him and what he's done for the club but Shola totally outshone him (and at the very best I see him as a 4th choice striker here). He never kicked a ball, seriously. Shola missed a couple of good opportunities but at least he gets into the positions to miss them. Shearer doesn't even do that. I think he's got 4 goals from open play in the league this season.

Shola looks the more likely of the two to score tbh.

120576[/snapback]

Looks more likely, yes. Is more likely, no. Imo (but backed by stats). Fact is we're missing the Shearer of old (and only has 5 games left) and it's evident he's not been replaced with anyone even half as good.

120570[/snapback]

120574[/snapback]

Did you see the match against Boro btw Renton? Perfect illustration of why I have a pop at Shearer's performances now. It's embarrassing man. Nothing against him and what he's done for the club but Shola totally outshone him (and at the very best I see him as a 4th choice striker here). He never kicked a ball, seriously. Shola missed a couple of good opportunities but at least he gets into the positions to miss them. Shearer doesn't even do that. I think he's got 4 goals from open play in the league this season.

120579[/snapback]

No, I couldn't get a ticket for it. But he was decent against Portsmouth, Everton, Bolton. And we won. Are you suggesting we were effectively playing with ten men against Boro?

I agree that's he's obviously past it, and in fact if you watch him he doesn't really play as a striker even any more. But technically, he is still one of our best players. And who are you going to play instead? Chopra?

I wasn't at the game by the way but it was on the Arabic telly channel. And yes, playing with ten men sums it up nicely. I've thought that a few times this season in all honesty. In any case, you mention the 'constant crticism' he gets but I would argue that's he largest escaped the criticism his performances deserve this year. He's a shadow of his former self and even when he's played ok this year, he rarely seems to get a sniff of a goal. The fact Shola, Chopra, Luque or whoever else has played are shit/not up to the job/not interested is not the point really.

I wasn't at the game by the way but it was on the Arabic telly channel. And yes, playing with ten men sums it up nicely. I've thought that a few times this season in all honesty. In any case, you mention the 'constant crticism' he gets but I would argue that's he largest escaped the criticism his performances deserve this year. He's a shadow of his former self and even when he's played ok this year, he rarely seems to get a sniff of a goal. The fact Shola, Chopra, Luque or whoever else has played are shit/not up to the job/not interested is not the point really.

120586[/snapback]

I hear what you're saying and agree to an extent, I just reckon Lawrenson is right and he will play well in the remainding games, and hopefully score 2 or 3 goals. That's because we're largely playing shite opposition. Shearer is certainly finished against the better teams though.

The striker situation at Newcastle next year is critical though - it speaks volumes that Shearer has been so poor and yet will still probably end up top scorer. How we could do with having the Boumsong and Luque money back, and dare I say it even the Owen money.

120570[/snapback]

120574[/snapback]

Look at the shirt position though. The number 9 position has produced 9 goals all season, the number 10 position has brought us 16 (Owen, Ameobi & Dyer).

120570[/snapback]

120574[/snapback]

120579[/snapback]

What do you expect? :)