• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame Parker's not going to be fit to go IMO :D

132154[/snapback]

I'd rather play Carrick to be honest.

132296[/snapback]

I would too - think he'd add more to the team with his passing range, and also Parker would have a rough time with those referees.

Ameobi is the man in form you know :D

I like the idea of gerrard playing behind owen, but if you have to take 4 strikers it should be in my opinion

owen

bent

defoe

crouch - 4th choice

SVEN GORAN Eriksson is ready to risk ridicule by naming Emile Heskey as Wayne Rooney's World Cup standby on Monday.

The England coach will also call up Owen Hargreaves after the Bayern Munich player impressed after recovering from a long-term injury.

Heskey has scored just five goals in Birmingham's relegation season and has not played for England since his disastrous appearance as Rooney's replacement against France in Euro 2004.

In that match his reckless foul on Claude Makelele sparked the minute of madness that turned victory into only been called up once since then, when he was an unused substitute in the double header against Wales and Azerbaijan in March last year.

But while Rooney will be one of five strikers named in Eriksson's provisional World Cup squad on Monday, the Swede knows that the odds are stacked against the Manchester United man recovering from his fractured foot in time to make the final cut.

And with Eriksson unimpressed by the claims of Andy Johnson, James Beattie and Darius Vassell, Heskey is likely to be named as one of the standby group of four players who will be ready to come in if any of original 23 are forced out.

Heskey's return will be less than popular with the England fans, although Michael Owen, Jermain Defoe, Peter Crouch and Charlton's Darren Bent will be ahead of him in the World Cup pecking order.

Hargreaves' appearance in the 23 will also cause mutterings of discontent among fans who have never taken to a player they do not know. The Canadian-born midfielder, however, has returned from injury to play a key part in Bayern Munich's likely Double in Germany.

FIFA confirmed this week that any players named in the initial 23 can be replaced up to 24 hours before their team's opening game.

Uncapped Liverpool goalkeeper Scott Carson could be the beneficiary of Robert Green's fitness concerns but Middlesbrough's Stewart Downing may find himself on the standby list alongside Wes Brown and Phil Neville.

Its genuinely disturbing that you can't dismiss the Heskey story as just paper talk, you actually believe Sven might do it and that is a disgrace!

The idea we have a manager who would give Heskey 1 England cap would be a concern, the idea we have one who gave him about 40 should keep you awake at night!

At his peak Heskey shouldn't have been close to the England team, now that by his own standards he's playign shite he shouldn't be near Birminghams reserves never mind England!

Its genuinely disturbing that you can't dismiss the Heskey story as just paper talk, you actually believe Sven might do it and that is a disgrace!

The idea we have a manager who would give Heskey 1 England cap would be a concern, the idea we have one who gave him about 40 should keep you awake at night!

At his peak Heskey shouldn't have been close to the England team, now that by his own standards he's playign shite he shouldn't be near Birminghams reserves never mind England!

132508[/snapback]

Completely disgaree with that part. There's no way that Heskey should be in the England squad now, but back in his day there really were very few who were any better. His peak was at a time when options were very few.

132508[/snapback]

Completely disgaree with that part. There's no way that Heskey should be in the England squad now, but back in his day there really were very few who were any better. His peak was at a time when options were very few.

132513[/snapback]

There were always better options than a striker who couldn't score (the only goals he got were in large wins after the job was done), who was big but spent half his time falling to the ground and who offered nothing other than working hard for the team.

He wasn't ever good enough so why not try out some other strikers and give a few younger lads a shot

132508[/snapback]

132513[/snapback]

There were always better options than a striker who couldn't score (the only goals he got were in large wins after the job was done), who was big but spent half his time falling to the ground and who offered nothing other than working hard for the team.

He wasn't ever good enough so why not try out some other strikers and give a few younger lads a shot

132522[/snapback]

He always performed quite well for England tbh

132508[/snapback]

132513[/snapback]

132522[/snapback]

He always performed quite well for England tbh

132534[/snapback]

I think he was invariably poor, except for the odd game where he stayed on his feet and roughed up a couple of defences allowing other players to benefit. But if thats all he offered, Shearer could have come out of retirement and done that, with the added bonus of him still being capable of hitting the target if he got into position!

I think he should play Cole in Rooneys role now. Meaning he needs someone to play left. Its too late to experiment, so I would bring Downing in, to actually start [if Rooney doesn't go]

Other strikers Defoe [nr 2 to Owen, direct replacment if needed], Crouch, Beattie or Ashton simply to change the system if there is a need to at some stage.

If there is a doubt about the fitness of both Owen and Rooney lasting the tournament, he cannott afford to take both of them.

There is no point in Eriksson sitting back in this competition if we fall behind or not changing anything if we aren't playing well.

He has to go for this. He has a natural serie A type mentality in certain situations.

The game against Brazil where we sat back 2-1 down against 10 men, took a forward off for a forward and had one shot in the last half hour....I'd have sacked him for that.

131515[/snapback]

I see your point Leazes, but for me a midfield of Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard and Downing simply doesn't offer the defence enough protection against world-class sides.

The only positive I can take out of the Rooney situation is that we might see a player like Carrick or Ledley King (if fit) employed in the holding role. This would free up Lampard and Gerrard to play to their full potential.

131819[/snapback]

I think you're right Doc :quotes:

Sure it's a major blow that Rooney is out, but it could turn out to be a blessing in disguise... IMO Gerrard would be excellent in the Rooney-position just behind Owen. With Carrick and Lampard in the centre mid, Cole on the left and Beckham on the right, the midfield would be strong and have a very good balance.

131864[/snapback]

Yep, thats exactly what I would do.

It's up to the Swede now to show us why he's worth £5million a year.

132151[/snapback]

So would Alan :quotes:

Alan Shearer reckons that Steven Gerrard is the man who can take up the mantle of England match-winner in Wayne Rooney's probable absence.

Rooney is racing to be fit in time for this summer's World Cup after breaking a metatarsal in the recent game against Chelsea, leaving Sven Goran Eriksson scratching his head and frantically searching for a Plan B.

While Shearer accepts that Rooney's injury is terrible news, he does not believe that there is any need to be overly negative about England's chances

"It is a massive blow to lose Wayne Rooney, there is no doubt about that," the newly retired Newcastle forward told The Sun.

"But if we throw our hands up and say all is now lost we are being disrespectful to the other players.

"I believe we still have enough players to do it and with a little bit of adjustment, have the formation to do it too."

Shearer's solution would be to push Gerrard into a more advanced role, playing off a lone striker.

Shearer believes that the Liverpool skipper would thrive in such a position, and that the whole team would benefit.

"Steven has been playing in that sort of position for Liverpool for some time now, that's why he has 20 goals this season," he explained.

"I am a massive fan of his and have no doubts he can step forward to fill that role left by Rooney.

"Other players have to step forward now Rooney is injured and Gerrard is certainly one who can do that. He could emerge as our main man in the tournament.

"There is no doubt he has the bottle to take up the gauntlet if it is laid down - you only have to look at last season's Champions League final to see that. He is someone who inspires.

"With Gerrard further forward, Lampard can come into his own in the centre.

"Then I would have Michael Carrick as the holding midfielder."

Shearer also praised the appointment of Steve McClaren as England manager, tipping him to be successful when he takes charge at the end of the summer.

"I think Steve will do a good job. He knows the players and the set-up inside-out from being Sven's right-hand man," he commented.

"I was just glad it was an Englishman."