If a ton of feathers landed on your head...

A plane is attempting to take off on a conveyer belt/travelator arrangement. The conveyer belt is designed to exactly match the speed of the wheels , moving in the opposite direction. There is no wind.

Can the plane take off?

133157[/snapback]

believe it or not but this very question resulted in a 780 odd reply thread on a dvd forum :quotes: a bloody dvd forum :quotes:;)

caused a right ruckus. ;)

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would happen if an unmovable object was hit by an unstoppable force?

132696[/snapback]

The two would transfer properties (like those balls now commonly decorating people's desks) - the unstoppable force would stop and become unmovable and the unmovable object would move and become unstoppable.

132800[/snapback]

Nope, it's one of those unanwserable philosophy questions :quotes:

132829[/snapback]

If my answer doesn't work then the answer is that the two simply cannot co-exist.

...would it kill you?

Or because of the low density and high surface area would it just drift down and harmlessly bounce off?

132612[/snapback]

Even if you didnt die I imagine you'd still get a little down in the mouth.

A plane is attempting to take off on a conveyer belt/travelator arrangement. The conveyer belt is designed to exactly match the speed of the wheels , moving in the opposite direction. There is no wind.

Can the plane take off?

133157[/snapback]

believe it or not but this very question resulted in a 780 odd reply thread on a dvd forum :quotes: a bloody dvd forum ;);)

133168[/snapback]

:quotes:

Am I dim to think it obviously wouldn't? (Because no wind is moving over the wings which is what makes a plane fly I thought) How can you get that big an argument about it?

Can the plane take off?

133157[/snapback]

believe it or not but this very question resulted in a 780 odd reply thread on a dvd forum :quotes: a bloody dvd forum ;);)

133168[/snapback]

Am I dim to think it obviously wouldn't? (Because no wind is moving over the wings which is what makes a plane fly I thought) How can you get that big an argument about it?

133252[/snapback]

So if there's no wind on a standard airport runway, a plane can't take off?

Can the plane take off?

133157[/snapback]

133168[/snapback]

133252[/snapback]

133279[/snapback]

The effect of "wind" is created by the plane's movement. In the example you give, it would be standing still, Shirley?

Can the plane take off?

133157[/snapback]

133168[/snapback]

133252[/snapback]

133279[/snapback]

The effect of "wind" is created by the plane's movement. In the example you give, it would be standing still, Shirley?

133281[/snapback]

Yeah, but I think you're assuming that the power of the plane's engines is transfered through the wheels, which it isn't.

The conveyer belt is completely irrelevant to the plane's ability to take off.

I'll break this down.

The plane needs horzontal motion in order to generate the lift for take off.

If the plane is on a conveyor belt matching speed of the wheels it cannot gain any forward motion and hence no lift.

The fact its engines are delivering alot of thurst means nothing if it aint moving forward as there is no lift from the wings.

Guest alex

I thought it was all to do with lift being created by the difference in air pressure between the top of the wing and the bottom. So the plane needs to be moving to take off.

Am I dim to think it obviously wouldn't? (Because no wind is moving over the wings which is what makes a plane fly I thought)  How can you get that big an argument about it?

133252[/snapback]

That's exactly what I thought.

But then what effect does the conveyor belt moving at 300mph (or whatever) have?

This is a basic way of describing it:

step one: plane's engines throttle up, increasing the force against the AIR behind the engines. no force is applied to the wheels

step two: increased force against the air pushes plane forwards

step three: conveyor belt starts turning the opposite way to the directon of the plane, meaning the wheels spin twice as fast as the plane is moving through the air

step four: the plane continues to accelerate, as does the conveyor belt, until the plane's AIRSPEED reaches, say, 160kts. At this point the wheels are spinning at the equivalent of 320kts

step five: plane takes off, because an airspeed of 160kts is more than enough to produce required lift on the wings

step six: wheel bearings probably melt, plane has trouble landing

I'll break this down.

If the plane is on a conveyor belt matching speed of the wheels it cannot gain any forward motion and hence no lift.

The fact its engines are delivering alot of thurst means nothing if it aint moving forward as there is no lift from the wings.

133303[/snapback]

That sounds about right. The feathers question is also reliant on how compact the feathers are, obviously. Can't get my head round the snakes problem though.

Sounds like a shit airport tbh.

133302[/snapback]

:quotes: Shannon's innovations didn't end with duty free tbs tbs.

I'll break this down.

133303[/snapback]

What he said.

Guest alex
I'll break this down.

133303[/snapback]

That sounds about right. The feathers question is also reliant on how compact the feathers are, obviously. Can't get my head round the snakes problem though.

133307[/snapback]

Is it a poisonous snake or a constrictor?

I'll break this down.

133303[/snapback]

133307[/snapback]

Is it a poisonous snake or a constrictor?

133315[/snapback]

Let's just say constrictors for the sake of argument.

If you have two snakes of equal size who are eating each others tails, what happens when they eat the whole of the other snake? :quotes:

133301[/snapback]

Do they end up kissing one another?