Poker question

MattM4

AK will hit about 2/3 of the time on the flop, about 50% of the time with all five cards. When you are that short stacked you cant afford to fold if you miss with the first three cards so you are better of getting all the money in preflop. Add to that the 10% of the time the other player actually folds to your raise and allin preflop is the best way to play

194645[/snapback]

So I guess the psychology is you want them to fold, but if they don't you still have a decent chance over 5 cards? Because if you're willing to bet all your chips, you can always see the 5 cards, right?

Is that 2/3 supposed to be 1/3, or am I misunderstanding something? I'm assuming it's 2/3 of 50%, 33% overall?

194653[/snapback]

your right about it all there, cept, the last part, which you have 50% of hitting something when all 5 cards are dealt.

194655[/snapback]

Which is 33% of hitting on the flop, not 66%, that's what I was questioning. :drinks:

And you can feck off offering me a game, you've been at these cash games a lot longer than my never. I'd stand a better chance against Billy's fists. :razz:

Edited by ObaGol

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AK will hit about 2/3 of the time on the flop, about 50% of the time with all five cards. When you are that short stacked you cant afford to fold if you miss with the first three cards so you are better of getting all the money in preflop. Add to that the 10% of the time the other player actually folds to your raise and allin preflop is the best way to play

194645[/snapback]

So I guess the psychology is you want them to fold, but if they don't you still have a decent chance over 5 cards? Because if you're willing to bet all your chips, you can always see the 5 cards, right?

194653[/snapback]

:razz: yes I did mean 1/3, and yes you sre right. The AK bloke was shortest stack at the table and desperately needed chips, he should have been pleased to get the call as most of the time he would have doubled up. He should have been happy he played correctly and not about the results. To win long term you have to learn to be pleased when you get your money in ahead no matter what happens in the hand. Emotional control is what seperates the winners from losers more than anything else

I've only been playing for 6 month, I'll play you for $2.20 heads up, which is like £1.60

194661[/snapback]

I'll give you a game soon enough, in the next couple of weeks, might want to make it a bit more interesting than that if you're up for it, though. Do you have an XBox 360 btw?

I've only been playing for 6 month, I'll play you for $2.20 heads up, which is like £1.60

194661[/snapback]

I'll give you a game soon enough, in the next couple of weeks, might want to make it a bit more interesting than that if you're up for it, though. Do you have an XBox 360 btw?

194665[/snapback]

Nope, why?

:razz:  yes I did mean 1/3, and yes you sre right. The AK bloke was shortest stack at the table and desperately needed chips, he should have been pleased to get the call as most of the time he would have doubled up. He should have been happy he played correctly and not about the results. To win long term you have to learn to be pleased when you get your money in ahead no matter what happens in the hand. Emotional control is what seperates the winners from losers more than anything else

194662[/snapback]

Cheers for the tips; if only you learned as much every day as you do the first day!

Nope, why?

194666[/snapback]

There's a hold 'em game on the arcade and you can use voice comms, someone on here was doing 10 quid tournaments and settling by paypal, sounds a good idea.

194661[/snapback]

194665[/snapback]

I'll send you an invite for the next one we do if you want. Its only a tenner. I imagine you miss out a bit on PC with no voice comms. I play with a few weegies who know each other in the real world, they're constantly at each other, funny as.

:razz:  yes I did mean 1/3, and yes you sre right. The AK bloke was shortest stack at the table and desperately needed chips, he should have been pleased to get the call as most of the time he would have doubled up. He should have been happy he played correctly and not about the results. To win long term you have to learn to be pleased when you get your money in ahead no matter what happens in the hand. Emotional control is what seperates the winners from losers more than anything else

194662[/snapback]

Cheers for the tips; if only you learned as much every day as you do the first day!

194670[/snapback]

The brutal truth is the more you learn the more you realise how little you know.

I'll send you an invite for the next one we do if you want. Its only a tenner. I imagine you miss out a bit on PC with no voice comms. I play with a few weegies who know each other in the real world, they're constantly at each other, funny as.

194674[/snapback]

Sounds like a plan, cheers for the Saint's Row invite last night, I was finishing a mission and heading over when the car disappeared and left 2 people floating in the middle of the road, :razz: complete crash, that was enough for me.

I had a wee go of multiplayer, what's the biggest level in terms of city blocks? I assume there's a few decent cars on some of the levels?

The brutal truth is the more you learn the more you realise how little you know.

194677[/snapback]

Universally true, except for Leazes, obviously.

194674[/snapback]

Sounds like a plan, cheers for the Saint's Row invite last night, I was finishing a mission and heading over when the car disappeared and left 2 people floating in the middle of the road, :razz: complete crash, that was enough for me.

I had a wee go of multiplayer, what's the biggest level in terms of city blocks? I assume there's a few decent cars on some of the levels?

194681[/snapback]

god knows. They arent really structured the same. I've not felt that they're too small though. Some of the indoor ones are pretty big. Pimped out ride is the best mode and you get 3 respawning vehicles per side and a couple scattered around the map

360 Hold 'em will also have video support soon, should be fun. One of the poker softwares I used today mentioned something about video in the options, but a quick search doesn't uncover anything.

Example #1: It's a $3/6 game and you are dealt T7o in the BB. Two limpers come in and the SB folds (pot $10). You check and the flop comes T-8-6 rainbow. You check, first limper bets, other two fold and it's now up to you. The pot is now at $13 with $3 to call, giving you 4.3:1 odds. Your total outs on this hand are 7 (3 outs to hit two pair and 4 outs to hit your inside straight, assuming your opponent has top pair/better kicker or overpair). At 7 outs, this puts your draw at 5.6:1, which compared to your 4.3:1 pot, means with conventional odds theory, that you should fold this hand. However, if you take into account implied value and the fact that the implied value is doubling on the turn, this actually makes your draw a 3.6:1 proposition. This may be hard for you to wrap your head around, so let's do some actual number crunching...

Now, the example works for the purposes of what he's trying to say, but something about it is bugging me, why's he not included the two Tens as outs?

Anyone got any decent recommendations of poker forums I should join?

I don't know. I'm pretty sure he should be including the tens. I could understand him excluding one if the flop gave someone a flush draw, but as things stand I think he should have included the remaining tens as 2 outs.

Somebody might know better though. :razz:

Example #1: It's a $3/6 game and you are dealt T7o in the BB. Two limpers come in and the SB folds (pot $10). You check and the flop comes T-8-6 rainbow. You check, first limper bets, other two fold and it's now up to you. The pot is now at $13 with $3 to call, giving you 4.3:1 odds. Your total outs on this hand are 7 (3 outs to hit two pair and 4 outs to hit your inside straight, assuming your opponent has top pair/better kicker or overpair). At 7 outs, this puts your draw at 5.6:1, which compared to your 4.3:1 pot, means with conventional odds theory, that you should fold this hand. However, if you take into account implied value and the fact that the implied value is doubling on the turn, this actually makes your draw a 3.6:1 proposition. This may be hard for you to wrap your head around, so let's do some actual number crunching...

Now, the example works for the purposes of what he's trying to say, but something about it is bugging me, why's he not included the two Tens as outs?

Anyone got any decent recommendations of poker forums I should join?

195288[/snapback]

Maybe he's disregarding it because of this? i.e. on the assumption that it's already beat...