Poker question

MattM4

Three of a kind 10s beats top pair though, so the 10s are still outs.

195337[/snapback]

Maybe he's bringing it down to the lowest common demoninator, i.e. the opponent could also get trips?

195342[/snapback]

Aye, I twigged what you meant after posting.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Example #1: It's a $3/6 game and you are dealt T7o in the BB. Two limpers come in and the SB folds (pot $10). You check and the flop comes T-8-6 rainbow. You check, first limper bets, other two fold and it's now up to you. The pot is now at $13 with $3 to call, giving you 4.3:1 odds. Your total outs on this hand are 7 (3 outs to hit two pair and 4 outs to hit your inside straight, assuming your opponent has top pair/better kicker or overpair). At 7 outs, this puts your draw at 5.6:1, which compared to your 4.3:1 pot, means with conventional odds theory, that you should fold this hand. However, if you take into account implied value and the fact that the implied value is doubling on the turn, this actually makes your draw a 3.6:1 proposition. This may be hard for you to wrap your head around, so let's do some actual number crunching...

Now, the example works for the purposes of what he's trying to say, but something about it is bugging me, why's he not included the two Tens as outs?

Anyone got any decent recommendations of poker forums I should join?

195288[/snapback]

Maybe he's disregarding it because of this? i.e. on the assumption that it's already beat...

195333[/snapback]

And there was the answer right there in the question! I really should learn to slow down. It's a reasonable assumption given that he's holding a 7 kicker.

What would you play for PokerPants? I might be up for it in a couple of weeks.

2 questions for the Poker posse:

- anyone ever used any softare like Poker Mate?

- can you add friends and chat within any of the online poker rooms? I'm think particularly of Party at the moment.

They all have chat boxes in them. You can add friends and that on pokerroom I think. Are you studying furiously? :lol: Have you put any money on Full Tilt yet? I'll see you in there on the SNGs if you like. B)

I only started playing the play money SnGs on Party yesterday, I've made myself place/win 3 in a row before I can make the step up, the first 3-5 players are a complete joke on play money, but I'm impressed with the quality after that. I should have 3 in a row today, but I figure if I'm still learning on the play tables, I'm not ready for anything else.

Books haven't arrived yet :lol: but I'm reading some good stuff online.

I wanted to get in touch with someone who I'd already played after a game, and the observer chat has been temporarily disabled on Party, but I figured out how to msg him. Had a really good heads up with him, learned a lot, so wanted to play him again.

Here's my sob story:

Went out of a tournament last night in 9th place (the shame!) when this happened.

I've got pocket 9s, the flop comes Ace Ace 9. So I've flopped a full house. I check in the hope that he has an ace and thinks I don't. He does and bets, I re-raise. He goes all-in, I call and he turns over A-5. So things are looking good.

Lo and behold an Ace comes on the river and he wins with four of a kind aces against my full house. The bastard. B) I consoled myself by convincing myself that I made the right play and just got unlucky. :lol:

Here's my sob story:

Went out of a tournament last night in 9th place (the shame!) when this happened.

I've got pocket 9s, the flop comes Ace Ace 9. So I've flopped a full house. I check in the hope that he has an ace and thinks I don't. He does and bets, I re-raise. He goes all-in, I call and he turns over A-5. So things are looking good.

Lo and behold an Ace comes on the river and he wins with four of a kind aces against my full house. The bastard. B) I consoled myself by convincing myself that I made the right play and just got unlucky. :lol:

You have to, I had an exact replica of that situation yesterday, mine was Sevens full of Kings, I think. But if you look at the play after the match and know you did the right thing, that's all that counts.

I assume this was 10+1 SnGs? What's the step up like? I'll play you soon btw, you'll get your comeuppance with the rest of them. :lol:

Here's my sob story:

Lo and behold an Ace comes on the river and he wins with four of a kind aces against my full house. The bastard. B) I consoled myself by convincing myself that I made the right play and just got unlucky. :scratchchin:

You have to, I had an exact replica of that situation yesterday, mine was Sevens full of Kings, I think. But if you look at the play after the match and know you did the right thing, that's all that counts.

I assume this was 10+1 SnGs? What's the step up like? I'll play you soon btw, you'll get your comeuppance with the rest of them. :lol:

I'm only playing the $5 ones at the minute man. :lol:

I'm only playing the $5 ones at the minute man. B)

See you at the European Championships then. :lol:

Are there still a fair whack of shite players? Have you placed yet?

I play a lot of $5 tournaments on Pokerroom - mainly due to my budget to be honest - and you get some shocking players, up to about 5 of the ten from one table, but generally people take it seriously and aren't useless. Having said that, I'm reasonably up of late, if you play patiently you tend to do pretty well.

Here's my sob story:

These things happen so often it will make your eyes bleed. It can be incredibly frustrating especially when you bubble out in fourth.

BTW Oba dont play the 5 + 1s on Party the 20% rake is a joke. Pokerstars has a better range of low buy ins 3+.40, 6+ .5 etc

These things happen so often it will make your eyes bleed. It can be incredibly frustrating especially when you bubble out in fourth.

BTW Oba dont play the 5 + 1s on Party the 20% rake is a joke. Pokerstars has a better range of low buy ins 3+.40, 6+ .5 etc

If you weren't so sure, you'd swear these things happen more than they're supposed to, wouldn't you? B)

Cheers for the tip, I have Stars installed but haven't used it much, Full Tilt may be my favourite layout, and eventually I'd like to get a read on where the worst players play, on average.

If you weren't so sure, you'd swear these things happen more than they're supposed to, wouldn't you? B)

Cheers for the tip, I have Stars installed but haven't used it much, Full Tilt may be my favourite layout, and eventually I'd like to get a read on where the worst players play, on average.

Party has the most players and is widely thought to have the worst players,but that is ofset by some degree by having the largest amount of multi tabling pros. There are plenty of bad players at all of the sites at the low limits though.

I'm only playing the $5 ones at the minute man. B)

See you at the European Championships then. :lol:

Are there still a fair whack of shite players? Have you placed yet?

I've only recently started to properly keep track (there's a really good SNG spreadsheet on the 2+2 forums) and am placing regularly enough to be turning a profit. My percentage in the money is creeping up all the time so I'll let you know when I've played enough for it not just to be a daft anomaly - will be a while like!

As far as the accepted raising amounts for NL, I'm sure thats the way to do it against sane players, or games with decent starting stacks/blind increases. Party 10+1 against maniacs and morons, with the crapshoot structure twist makes 3 or 4X raises with monster hands early a waste. If you get QQ utg in level 1 and raise 60 you could very well get 7 callers.

If they're gonna play it, they're gonna play it. Pop it 200, or 350, or push, it really doesn't matter. LP early game, 3 limpers to you a push will ALMOST ALWAYS get a call.

B) They really don't get much better, do they!