Poker question

MattM4

Fair enough.

176337[/snapback]

:)

;)

I never intended my username to be a description of my nature, but I bite more than most... I think it's become pretty apt. :(

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was never arguing that sponge was wrong

just that the reason I gave the answer I did was because it was the way I'd been taught.

I said pages ago that Sponge might be right, but my argument was no longer about the example and was instead defending my reply. If Sponge had said "Whey that's fair enough if you've been taught that way bu tghe offical line is X" but he didn't, he just kept having a dig at me and declaring that he was right.

I don't mind admitting that the way I learnt is probably not the official way.

it doesn't change the fact that "I'm wrong" but it does defend Why.

Yes DB I am Arrogant and am not a fan of admitting when I'm wrong, but in this case I did accept that my way was not the official way and that Sponge's is. The reason this thing trolled on for 5 pages is Sponge wanted to lord it over me instead of being gracious and I found that objectionable.

I don't give a crap if this thread makes me look stubborn as a mule, end of the day I was asked a question answered it using the best information I had at the time, when someone came along and challenged it, I replied to his counter and only got arsey when his desperation to hear me say "I'm wrong" got the better of me.

176325[/snapback]

Still can't quite bring yourself to say you're wrong though - putting it in quotation marks and only conceding that your way is not "the official way". ;):)

Still can't quite bring yourself to say you're wrong though - putting it in quotation marks and only conceding that your way is not "the official way". ;):)

176349[/snapback]

:(

damn right

I was never arguing that sponge was wrong

just that the reason I gave the answer I did was because it was the way I'd been taught.

I said pages ago that Sponge might be right, but my argument was no longer about the example and was instead defending my reply. If Sponge had said "Whey that's fair enough if you've been taught that way bu tghe offical line is X" but he didn't, he just kept having a dig at me and declaring that he was right.

I don't mind admitting that the way I learnt is probably not the official way.

it doesn't change the fact that "I'm wrong" but it does defend Why.

Yes DB I am Arrogant and am not a fan of admitting when I'm wrong, but in this case I did accept that my way was not the official way and that Sponge's is. The reason this thing trolled on for 5 pages is Sponge wanted to lord it over me instead of being gracious and I found that objectionable.

I don't give a crap if this thread makes me look stubborn as a mule, end of the day I was asked a question answered it using the best information I had at the time, when someone came along and challenged it, I replied to his counter and only got arsey when his desperation to hear me say "I'm wrong" got the better of me.

176325[/snapback]

I accept your apology

well, this certainly opened a can of worms  :)

I was right in believing there was some sort of conflict of opinions about this.

176363[/snapback]

put the spoon down. ;)

I accept your apology

176360[/snapback]

... no one wants to call spongey on his arrogance?

anyone?

no-one?

how droll

176362[/snapback]

I wasnt being arrogant though, this is just something I know about. I play about 30 hours of poker a week, usually playing 4 tables at a time, I spend another couple of hours a day studying the game, reviewing hands and reading poker forums and poker books( I have 23 poker books I will forward you a reading list if you want). It is like the most basic rule that you make the best 5 card hand from the 7 available.

I accept your apology

176360[/snapback]

anyone?

no-one?

how droll

176362[/snapback]

I wasnt being arrogant though :) , this is just something I know about. I play about 30 hours of poker a week, usually playing 4 tables at a time, I spend another couple of hours a day studying the game, reviewing hands and reading poker forums and poker books( I have 23 poker books I will forward you a reading list if you want). It is like the most basic rule that you make the best 5 card hand from the 7 available.

176365[/snapback]

do me a favour! ;)

I accept your apology

176360[/snapback]

anyone?

no-one?

how droll

176362[/snapback]

I wasnt being arrogant though :) , this is just something I know about. I play about 30 hours of poker a week, usually playing 4 tables at a time, I spend another couple of hours a day studying the game, reviewing hands and reading poker forums and poker books( I have 23 poker books I will forward you a reading list if you want). It is like the most basic rule that you make the best 5 card hand from the 7 available.

176365[/snapback]

do me a favour! ;)

176366[/snapback]

I will admit I was arrogant if you admit you were wrong

• 4 weeks later...

I received my 500 piece poker set yesterday (and a poker book for my Bday) :lol:

and this weekend I rob my mates!

as for online tips ... I don't know, but i always enjoy getting into arguments with the chat facility

Right, in three days/session I've gone from my initial 1,000 play money to almost 2,800.

How does the game/level differ when you step up to the real stuff?

176000[/snapback]

Just reverse those figures :lol:

Right, in three days/session I've gone from my initial 1,000 play money to almost 2,800.

How does the game/level differ when you step up to the real stuff?

176000[/snapback]

Just reverse those figures :lol:

yeah I can imagine :yes

i'm well over the 6,000 mark now btw :lol:

I play an'all these days.  I'm on Full Tilt Poker though.  It's where the real men play. :lol:

(mac-compatible software basically)

192923[/snapback]

I'm on a mac but use Pokerroom instead of Full Tilt, the software isn't downloadable but I prefer it as it tends to be busier, and have more tournaments starting. I think I'm right in saying these are the only two that are mac compatible though.

Aye PartyPoker are coming up with their own web-based game but it's only playmoney at the minute. I've played on Pokerroom too but gave Full Tilt a go because of their 100% bonus sign-up thing (although you have to play a canny bit to make that 100% bonus come true funnily enough. :lol: ).

I've not been playing very long like.

Matt, what book did you get? I just got a new poker book, Scott Fishmans Online Ace. Only read abit, but its really good.

oh it's nothing too elaborate. It's called "the basic strategies of Poker" or something by Lou Krieger (I got it in French).

Edit - actually it's this one:

0764157884lu7.jpg

it's very decent, goes through all the different strategies and conventions of all types of Poker (Holdem, Omaha, Stud...)