Poker question

MattM4

right here you go.

the board is AAKKK  you hold Q3  your oponent has Q2 

In your opinion who wins?

176194[/snapback]

in that case you're playing a full house on the board, which is different to the situation that was first described.

but how about KKKJ10

you hold A7 he holds A6

the best possible hand is KKKAJ for both parties, however in the way I've been taught... you have in your pocket a better hand than your opponent. As such you win.

can you see the logic in the way I've been taught?

176199[/snapback]

There is absolutely no logic in that. Q3 is better than Q2 so Q3 should win by your logic

Edited by spongebob toonpants

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right here you go.

176194[/snapback]

in that case you're playing a full house on the board, which is different to the situation that was first described.

but how about KKKJ10

you hold A7 he holds A6

the best possible hand is KKKAJ for both parties, however in the way I've been taught... you have in your pocket a better hand than your opponent. As such you win.

176199[/snapback]

There is absolutely no logic in that. Q3 is better than Q2 so Q2 should win by your logic

176203[/snapback]

... read the example which caused this furor, then read your example.... if you can't see the difference I can't be arsed to argue.

right here you go.

176194[/snapback]

but how about KKKJ10

you hold A7 he holds A6

176199[/snapback]

Split pot again.

seriously man, I'm not saying "you're wrong I'm right" I'm saying that the way I've been taught reduces split pots which is in-keeping with the idea of the game.

your way might be right, but as I've said pretty much throughout this thread I'm "pretty sure"

which incidently does not mean "I'm 100% sure"

tell a man black is white his whole life he'll believe it to be true.

176202[/snapback]

Whereas I am saying I am right and you are wrong because ... I am right and you are wrong. 100%

right here you go.

176194[/snapback]

but how about KKKJ10

you hold A7 he holds A6

176199[/snapback]

Split pot again.

176205[/snapback]

seriously man, I'm not saying "you're wrong I'm right" I'm saying that the way I've been taught reduces split pots which is in-keeping with the idea of the game.

your way might be right, but as I've said pretty much throughout this thread I'm "pretty sure"

176202[/snapback]

Whereas I am saying I am right and you are wrong because ... I am right and you are wrong. 100%

176206[/snapback]

... and I'm the arrogant one? ;)

right here you go.

176194[/snapback]

but how about KKKJ10

you hold A7 he holds A6

176199[/snapback]

There is absolutely no logic in that. Q3 is better than Q2 so Q2 should win by your logic

176203[/snapback]

... read the example which caused this furor, then read your example.... if you can't see the difference I can't be arsed to argue.

176204[/snapback]

You ALWAYS play the five best cards ALWAYS no exceptions. the five best cards. How hard can that be to understand

176202[/snapback]

176206[/snapback]

... and I'm the arrogant one? ;)

176209[/snapback]

No you are the wrong one

.. fucks sake

it's not hard to understand in exactly the same way as it's not hard to unsderstand that it not the idea of poker to have split pots.

if their is a fair and obivous method to reduce the frequency of split pots then it should be employed.

I've been taught that IN THIS PARTICULAR AND RARE INSTANCE, you take the pocket cards of the final two players into consideration.

right here you go.

176194[/snapback]

but how about KKKJ10

you hold A7 he holds A6

176199[/snapback]

Split pot again.

176205[/snapback]

176208[/snapback]

No I cannot see the logic in you play the best five cards apart from every now and again maybe

.. fucks sake

it's not hard to understand in exactly the same way as it's not hard to unsderstand that it not the idea of poker to have split pots.

if their is a fair and obivous method to reduce the frequency of split pots then it should be employed.

I've been taught that IN THIS PARTICULAR AND RARE INSTANCE, you take the pocket cards of the final two players into consideration.

176212[/snapback]

The point of poker is to make the best hand from the seven cards available.

Please describe an example of this PARTICULAR AND RARE INSTANCE in laymans terms to me

where the best possible hand is not purely from the board.

AAA109

Q5 Q3

Q5 wins because he takes the trip Ace, plus the Queen and 5 in his pocket

if the board read AAAQ10

and the players had

95 93, then it's a split pot. The best possible hand has nowt to do with the pocket cards.

Like I've been saying for fucking years (but you merrily ignore in your quest to be able to say "I was right and you were wrong" in a marvellous example of arrogance, beyond even what is expected from me) this is the way I've been taught, and have been taught this to reduce the saplit pots because split pots run against the idea of Poker.

I think Spongebob has got you in check mate Fish. Applying your rules the full house hand described above wouldn't be a split either?

176218[/snapback]

AAAKK Q3 Q2?

best hand doesn't ahve anything to do with your pocket cards.

this

is

the

way

I've

been

taught

;)

where the best possible hand is not purely from the board.

AAA109

Q5 Q3

Q5 wins because he takes the trip Ace, plus the  Queen and 5 in his pocket

if the board read AAAQ10

and the players had

95 93, then it's a split pot. The best possible hand has nowt to do with the pocket cards.

Like I've been saying for fucking years (but you merrily ignore in your quest to be able to say "I was right and you were wrong" in a marvellous example of arrogance, beyond even what is expected from me) this is the way I've been taught, and have been taught this to reduce the saplit pots because split pots run against the idea of Poker.

176219[/snapback]

you are either a troll or a fucking idiot. I am done

Edited by spongebob toonpants

look you've been taught one way and in your suprising arrogance you decide to dictate that your way is right and mine wrong. Well I never professed to be an expert and only gave my opinion as best I could. I never said "I'm right you're wrong." I only said "I'm pretty sure I'm right" and in fact said that your war could in fact be right. You chose to continue this "debate" despite dismissing my explanations out of hand and basically being a twat.

you call me a troll and an idiot, but face facts. The way I was taught mean less split pots and did not in anyway change the "General" rules (that you posted) of texas hold em poker.

so quite frankly, get off your fucking high horse and accept that perhaps the way I've been taught isn't "wrong" but just different.

I never once claimed it was a definitive answer, just the way I was taught.

Fish's "that was the way I was taught" argument is hilarious. ;) Dave man, it doesn't change the fact that you're wrong, and that the idiot that taught you to play is wrong too. :)

If I claimed that I was taught that when the ball went out of play in football that it was a penalty, it doesn't make me any less wrong to claim that "that was the way I was taught". :(

Sorry Fish, but from my experience as soon as you start arguing with someone you're rationale goes completely out the window. Maybe you see things a bit clearer when you've had a breather? No one ever comes out of these situations looking good, but you've come out of it worse. You just come across as someone who can't admit when they're wrong and thinks he's above everyone. There's a few of us on this board, in fairness. ;)

*Dons tin hat*

I was never arguing that sponge was wrong

just that the reason I gave the answer I did was because it was the way I'd been taught.

I said pages ago that Sponge might be right, but my argument was no longer about the example and was instead defending my reply. If Sponge had said "Whey that's fair enough if you've been taught that way bu tghe offical line is X" but he didn't, he just kept having a dig at me and declaring that he was right.

I don't mind admitting that the way I learnt is probably not the official way.

it doesn't change the fact that "I'm wrong" but it does defend Why.

Yes DB I am Arrogant and am not a fan of admitting when I'm wrong, but in this case I did accept that my way was not the official way and that Sponge's is. The reason this thing trolled on for 5 pages is Sponge wanted to lord it over me instead of being gracious and I found that objectionable.

I don't give a crap if this thread makes me look stubborn as a mule, end of the day I was asked a question answered it using the best information I had at the time, when someone came along and challenged it, I replied to his counter and only got arsey when his desperation to hear me say "I'm wrong" got the better of me.