Poker question

MattM4

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just discovered that you can work out the chances of someone having a higher pocket pair than you thus:

(Number of ranks higher than the pocket pair you hold x Number of players remaining)/2

So if you're holding pocket 10s and there are 6 players remaining there's a 12% chance of someone holding a higher pocket pair.

If all of you already knew this, then shame on you for not sharing. ;)

Aye, .45 x HigherPairs X PeopleRemaining = %. Same thing.

I usually suss it out with bets and ranges, though. Wonder if this would have helped me out last night when I faced AA vs my KK on the bubble?

Pisser, I assume that was the end of you.

No, I couldn't credit him with the Aces because I had a maniac image at the table, but also the massive chip lead that went with it. That left me with over 2000 chips, but the high blinds* meant I had to make a move with pretty decent cards (maybe A9/AJ?), guy in the big blind calls and turns over Aces again, this is about 4 hands later! That one killed me ;)

I also managed to lose heads-up with a chip lead of about 11k+ vs ~1700 yesterday. The starting pot was 1000, so it was easily done with a few duff hands, felt like I'd lost rather than come second, though.

*It was a turbo btw.

I also managed to lose heads-up with a chip lead of about 11k+ vs ~1700 yesterday. The starting pot was 1000, so it was easily done with a few duff hands, felt like I'd lost rather than come second, though.

Similar thing happened to me the other day. Got down to the last 3 and I was massively shortstacked, managed to build things up a bit and eventually had 11k or so. Heads up lasted about 20 minutes, but I gradually ended up at about 3,000 chips. He raised me all in with T-7, I called with pocket jacks and he hit two tens on the flop to finish it. ;)

Similar thing happened to me the other day. Got down to the last 3 and I was massively shortstacked, managed to build things up a bit and eventually had 11k or so. Heads up lasted about 20 minutes, but I gradually ended up at about 3,000 chips. He raised me all in with T-7, I called with pocket jacks and he hit two tens on the flop to finish it. ;)

That reminds me of one of those Moneymaker freerolls I played the other day. Two utter maniacs raise & call for about 3bb in front of me, I look at AJ and move all in, two callers turn over A5, Q7, fucking 5 on ther river.

Every time I see T7 now, I'm reminded of a rant Negreanu went on at last year's Main Event at some guy for raising him all in with T7. When I see it "I've got the ten-seven, I've got the nuts" goes through my head, every time. :lol:

I like Negreanu. Seems like a pretty nice bloke and ridiculously good at just knowing exactly what his opponents have. He's got a book coming out soon.

They're showing the 2006 WSOP on Challenge at the minute.

I like Negreanu. Seems like a pretty nice bloke and ridiculously good at just knowing exactly what his opponents have. He's got a book coming out soon.

I like his personality for the most part, I reckon he can be a bit of a dick, though. I think Mattusow might actually be the nicer of the two, away from the tables. At the table, I fucking love Negreanu's style. I've been trying to get my head around small ball, taking pieces from his strategy, don't know if he's the best theorist, though. Don't know if I'll bother with his book, I watched all his video blogs, and I don't reckon there was more than a minute of helpful poker theory in the lot, his articles are slightly better

Ordered Chen's book yesterday, getting it FedExed direct from the publishers, mine ships the same time they ship to Amazon. ;)

I like his personality for the most part, I reckon he can be a bit of a dick, though. I think Mattusow might actually be the nicer of the two, away from the tables. At the table, I fucking love Negreanu's style. I've been trying to get my head around small ball, taking pieces from his strategy, don't know if he's the best theorist, though. Don't know if I'll bother with his book, I watched all his video blogs, and I don't reckon there was more than a minute of helpful poker theory in the lot, his articles are slightly better

Ordered Chen's book yesterday, getting it FedExed direct from the publishers, mine ships the same time they ship to Amazon. :)

Why are you so excited about this book then? Has there been a load said about it on 2+2 or something? What secrets does it reveal? :lol:

Aye I know what you mean about Negreanu, although I've never seen him rant at anyone or anything so I've only seen the pleasant side. I like Joe Hachem an'all. Not sure about Matusow though, he seems a right wanker. ;)

There's a thread about it on 2+2, nothing major, but a few opinions I respect have spoken very highly of it. I'm hoping it'll take the Maths side of my game to the next level.

Hachem tends to lose it a bit too much at the table, but he's grown on me. I think I respect the shit that Mattusow seems to deal with (in his own head), so I give him a little room for his attitude, and he's a top player when his head's together. I reckon he'll win the main event in the next few years.

I think Hellmuth might actually be proper mental, the way he rants to himself (actual conversations) when he loses a key hand. "he shouldn't have had the Ace, you should have put him on that" etc., waiting for him to kick the shite out of himself tbh.

Hellmuth's funny. ;) He was clearly a COMPLETE geek at school and has discovered he's ludicrously good at poker so likes to make people suffer. Embarrassing a lot of the time, but his "If it wasn't for luck, I guess I would win every one" line is a classic.

Saw an interview with Hachem the other day where he was on about his Lebanese heritage - he reckons that his blood is at boiling point "at rest", so when someone delivers him a bad beat, he's all but ready to kill them.

Hellmuth's funny. ;) He was clearly a COMPLETE geek at school and has discovered he's ludicrously good at poker so likes to make people suffer. Embarrassing a lot of the time, but his "If it wasn't for luck, I guess I would win every one" line is a classic.

Saw an interview with Hachem the other day where he was on about his Lebanese heritage - he reckons that his blood is at boiling point "at rest", so when someone delivers him a bad beat, he's all but ready to kill them.

Yeah, he's probably dealing with it fairly well, in fairness to him, I've seen him leave the room a few times (probably out kicking holes in the walls), and return to shake the person's hand. We tend to see dealing with a bad beat well as the mark of a gentlemen, but what's not considered is, it could be harder for Hachem to behave that well, than for say Negreanu to just smile and then bitch and moan about it for a month.

I'm always surprised at how many of the professionals really don't have their emotions under control.

Hellmuth is funny, the thing is he's probably right about that luck quote. I didn't like how he blew up when Annie Duke won the Tournament of Champion's, 2 years ago(?). Just not right to be losing it like that around t'wimmen folk.

I remembered the thing that bothers me about Negreanu; he needs to shut the fuck up bad mouthing poorer players than him, just not good etiquette.

Edited by ObaGol

Jennifer Harman is a right feisty little bitch. She bollocked this bloke for giving a speech when he was sat with a straight flush which induced her to call him. I think she had a higher straight anyway so it's not like she was gonna lay it down, but she was giving him daggers.

Hellmuth is funny, the thing is he's probably right about that luck quote. I didn't like how he blew up when Annie Duke won the Tournament of Champion's, 2 years ago(?). Just not right to be losing it like that around t'wimmen folk.

I remembered the thing that bothers me about Negreanu; he needs to shut the fuck up bad mouthing poorer players than him, just not good etiquette.

Yeah I hate seeing that. At the end of the day the prize money is so great nowadays because of the poorer players - $12m at the last main event!? I can see how it would be annoying, but I'm sure the rewards from being as good as that lot are against the influx of shit players far outweighs the bad of having to cope with getting beaten by a bad play.

I haven't seen that Tournament of Champions thing with Hellmuth though..

Jennifer Harman is a right feisty little bitch. She bollocked this bloke for giving a speech when he was sat with a straight flush which induced her to call him. I think she had a higher straight anyway so it's not like she was gonna lay it down, but she was giving him daggers.

That's Cory Zeidman, he's taken her out of the Main Event two years in a row tbf (I remember the hand, but I'm not sure which time it was). They did get over it pretty quick, but she's a midget, what do you expect?

Yeah I hate seeing that. At the end of the day the prize money is so great nowadays because of the poorer players - $12m at the last main event!? I can see how it would be annoying, but I'm sure the rewards from being as good as that lot are against the influx of shit players far outweighs the bad of having to cope with getting beaten by a bad play.

I haven't seen that Tournament of Champions thing with Hellmuth though..

The irony being that his style depends on those poorer players.

That's Cory Zeidman, he's taken her out of the Main Event two years in a row tbf (I remember the hand, but I'm not sure which time it was). They did get over it pretty quick, but she's a midget, what do you expect?

;) She does have midget hands like.

That hand in the WSOP Main Event vs. Goldie Hawn's son is hilarious. First hand of a $10,000 tournament - Farha has A-T, Hudson has pocket 10s. The flop comes A-A-T - both flop a full house. Hudson bets, Farha raises, Hudson moves all in, Farha calls and Hudson is out on the very first hand. $10k for one minute of play. The poor bastard.

Aye, Farha had the nuts, and Hudson had the second nuts. Harsh as out. There is laods of videos on youtube, some class ones of Tony G going mental, being a bellend really.

I've not got a job, and will probably end up playing poker abit more. As I can afford to stick £100 on or so. Althought I have money in accounts, just forgot where.

Tony G is the fat bloke from accounting who gets a bit rowdy after a few drinks and thinks he's hilarious, while everyone around him cringes and wonders when he's going to shut the fuck up.

If I ever sat down at a table with him, that's exactly what I'd tell him.