A side we nearly signed

bobbyshinton

I thought that I read he played in a friendly years back and we couldn't afford him.

194797[/snapback]

:drinks:

It's OK, Gol never read about it in Schmeichel's autobiography so you and me (and anyone else who remembers) were obvious in a parallel universe at that time! :razz:

The Peter Schmeichel thing is a myth. We never had him on trial.

194743[/snapback]

Cobblers!

We had him on trail in 1987! :drinks:

194777[/snapback]

According to?

194778[/snapback]

Me! I remember when he was on trial - never made the first team but was definitely training with us. We had Perry Digweed on loan around the same time as well!

194780[/snapback]

So despite the fact that he'd never had a professional club, nobody in this country had heard of him, the internet wasn't around back then, you remember him being on trial but never playing for us? :razz:

194787[/snapback]

May never have had a professional club at that point in time, but he was Denmark's first choice keeper. :drinks:

194795[/snapback]

Didn't play for Denmark until he signed for Brondby though.

I thought that I read he played in a friendly years back and we couldn't afford him.

194797[/snapback]

:drinks:

It's OK, Gol never read about it in Schmeichel's autobiography so you and me (and anyone else who remembers) were obvious in a parallel universe at that time! :drinks:

194806[/snapback]

Someone "thought" he read it, because it's been a fucking myth for years.

Shouldn't question your knowledge of the club 20 years ago though. Did the club announce the trial in a match programme, or was it on the radio? :razz:

Don't you think that he would mention it in his autobiography when talking about his career, and how he ended up in England? Confuses me as to why he wouldn't...

As I've said on MSN, I may have got that bit about when he first played for his country wrong - either way he was on the brink of playing for them so was obviously well respected within Denmark.

Regardless, he did have a trial for Newcastle back in 1987 which I can remember. McFaul wanted to sign him and the board refused. Incidentally the next two keepers the club had on trial both ended up signing for us (Tommy Wright & Pavel Srnicek)

Goalkeeper was my position so I always took an interest in which keepers we had on our books hence why I can remember us loaning Digweed too (probably won't find anything about that on the web either!)

194797[/snapback]

:wub:

It's OK, Gol never read about it in Schmeichel's autobiography so you and me (and anyone else who remembers) were obvious in a parallel universe at that time! :drinks:

194806[/snapback]

Someone "thought" he read it, because it's been a fucking myth for years.

Shouldn't question your knowledge of the club 20 years ago though. Did the club announce the trial in a match programme, or was it on the radio? :razz:

Don't you think that he would mention it in his autobiography when talking about his career, and how he ended up in England? Confuses me as to why he wouldn't...

194816[/snapback]

I can't account for why or why not he chooses to put something in his autobiography. Perhaps you should write to him and ask him? :drinks:

As I've said on MSN, I may have got that bit about when he first played for his country wrong - either way he was on the brink of playing for them so was obviously well respected within Denmark.

Regardless, he did have a trial for Newcastle back in 1987 which I can remember. McFaul wanted to sign him and the board refused. Incidentally the next two keepers the club had on trial both ended up signing for us (Tommy Wright & Pavel Srnicek)

Goalkeeper was my position so I always took an interest in which keepers we had on our books hence why I can remember us loaning Digweed too (probably won't find anything about that on the web either!)

194821[/snapback]

Reported where? Club statement?

194797[/snapback]

Couldn't afford him? Or his wages? Considering he cost next to nothing, and Brondby won't have been paying huge wages, I'd say that's not quite true.

Jesus wept! :razz:

194831[/snapback]

Always the way to get out of answering it.

Hi Leazesmag.

194836[/snapback]

It's not that, it's just you expect me to start finding sources from nearly 20 years ago.

I remember his trial because back then I used every spare minute I had following the club. It's why I remember all the 'sooperfantastic' shite that you lot rip the piss out of me for.

Schmeichel had a trial and just because there's no mention of it in his book, it doesn't mean it didn't happen... :drinks:

It's not that, it's just you expect me to start finding sources from nearly 20 years ago.

I remember his trial because back then I used every spare minute I had following the club. It's why I remember all the 'sooperfantastic' shite that you lot rip the piss out of me for.

Schmeichel had a trial and just because there's no mention of it in his book, it doesn't mean it didn't happen... :razz:

194844[/snapback]

How did you find out about it at the time, though? That's a fair question.

Schmeichel had a trial and just because there's no mention of it in his book, it doesn't mean it didn't happen... :drinks:

194844[/snapback]

How did you find out about it at the time, though? That's a fair question.

194846[/snapback]

Fuck knows if I can remember that - may have been through one of the players my Dad did a mortgage for. That's the way I heard about Tommy Wright - he'd got 3 match tickets for one of the games from the club and because all his family was back in Northern Ireland, he'd invited my Dad (who'd sorted the mortgage out for him) along with me.

Remember being introduced to him and wondering who the fuck he was :razz:

The Peter Schmeichel thing is a myth. We never had him on trial. We did however try to sign Hyypia.

194743[/snapback]

Willie McFaul constantly had him watched and we were apparently very close to signing him well before he got to Manchester - a good few years earlier in fact. It was quite big news at the time (when we were shit)

The Peter Schmeichel thing is a myth. We never had him on trial. We did however try to sign Hyypia.

194743[/snapback]

Willie McFaul constantly had him watched and we were apparently very close to signing him well before he got to Manchester - a good few years earlier in fact. It was quite big news at the time (when we were shit)

194850[/snapback]

Quite big news that we were trying to sign a keeper who nobody in this country had even heard of? I guess it was big news that we were trying to sign an unknown rather than someone from England then?

Seriously, where did everyone hear about these things twenty years ago?

Anyway, seems this is another one of those debates which will never conclude itself, so I'll leave it unless the BBC pass on my email to the man himself :razz:

Guest Patrokles

I looked up a youtube compilation of Schmeichel and nowhere did it feature any video of him playing for us on trial, so I'm a little dubious about this.

Why are you so dubious of this Gol? Life did exist before the internet!

194878[/snapback]

Because:

1) I've been told by someone involved in premiership football that it's a myth

2) Peter Schmeichel himself has never mentioned this trial

3) There is no evidence that it ever happened

4) The fact that there is no evidence that it DIDN'T happen, doesn't mean that it did

Anyway, I've sent an email off, so we'll soon see. I'm not disputing it purely because it's not on the internet; I just find it strange that people had knowledge of obscure players we had on trial and never even gave a reserve game to.

Does shearer count ?

in that we nearly signed him as a kid but played him in goal (iirc) .

194916[/snapback]

I think that is a myth (too?). IIRC Shearer said in an interview that they had no 'keeper so they were rotating and everybody played in goal for a couple of minutes.

Does shearer count ?

in that we nearly signed him as a kid but played him in goal (iirc) .

194916[/snapback]

I think that is a myth (too?). IIRC Shearer said in an interview that they had no 'keeper so they were rotating and everybody played in goal for a couple of minutes.

194932[/snapback]

I heard that too.

Craig will be able to name every player in that trial though, especially if they all went in goal :razz:

When Keegan was here we were linked with just about every World Class player of the time.

194352[/snapback]

I seem to remember Roberto Baggio being linked. As for right backs, he's not the best player, but Brett Emerton?

194365[/snapback]

Hehe....

http://www.toontastic.net/forum/index.php?...ndpost&p=111582

194450[/snapback]

He wanted to sign Bergkamp as well, Dougie was planning on bringing them both back at the same time iirc.

The one player we really missed out on was George Weah.

It happened Gol. Loads of stories in various newspapers at the time and well before he was anywhere near signing for Man Utd.

Was in McFauls reign too - maybe 86 or 87.

Seriously, I read them. Bought them at paper shop and everything :razz: Can remember it being much talked about when he did finally surface at Old Trafford.