Magpies / Toffies match thread

Hughesie

Wot do u think about the results, the goals and the sending off?

Discuss

Very poor result, we should have won easily had the numerous chances been put to bed.

Ameobi's goal was clearly offside so we were lucky to come away with a point.

The red-cards were justified, two yellows make a red.

Martins looks more like a bad-buy every time I see him(did not see the West Ham match)

I waited the whole 2nd. half for Everton to score and with our defense I thought they would.

Rossi looked good in the short time he was on, 4 shots ain't bad.

Bernard may not be match fit but I would have started him before Ramage at left-back.

I should be the manager!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wot do u think about the results, the goals and the sending off?

Discuss

Very poor result, we should have won easily had the numerous chances been put to bed.

Ameobi's goal was clearly offside so we were lucky to come away with a point.

The red-cards were justified, two yellows make a red.

Martins looks more like a bad-buy every time I see him(did not see the West Ham match)

I waited the whole 2nd. half for Everton to score and with our defense I thought they would.

Rossi looked good in the short time he was on, 4 shots ain't bad.

Bernard may not be match fit but I would have started him before Ramage at left-back.

I should be the manager!

It's a canny commute though every weekend sir, not including midweek ties, and let's not forget the fact all that travelling for a man of your age. :good:

On the plus side, Everton are something like 4th, and they weren't that good at all IMO. On the negative side, we couldn't beat them aand I don't see there being many games at SJP this season that we don't have to struggle for a win in. Pretty negative outlook, but if I run through most of the Premiership I can't think of many that won't present us big problems.

Of course that's what happens when your back line is a shambles and you do nothing to put it right.

I am still a bit unsure what our game plan actually is. For my liking there is still coming far too little from the centre of the park. Our wing play wasn't too bad at times today, with some decent crosses. Unfortunately we don't really have someone in the centre to deal with it.

The defenders should all be sold to some Conference team tbh.

I am still a bit unsure what our game plan actually is. For my liking there is still coming far too little from the centre of the park. Our wing play wasn't too bad at times today, with some decent crosses. Unfortunately we don't really have someone in the centre to deal with it.

The defenders should all be sold to some Conference team tbh.

I think Roeder's got a big decision to make about Emre. He's not offering enough and because of that you notice the lack of physical presence a lot more - if he was playing out of his skin you could probably overlook it, but he's not. I'd be giving Butt a go in the centre if I was Roeder. Or sticking N'Zogbia there when Duff is back. No doubt Emre has some lovely touches and he works hard, but it's not enough.

Just in case it's gone un-mentioned, let's not forget that we tried to sell the best player on the pitch today in the summer. :good: No way should he be leaving in January either.

To be fair Gemmill he wasnt up against much and he achieved very little.

My month long sabbatical from SJP is over this weekend so unfortunately I hav to witness the useless sods in the flesh again next time. Joy!

Bramble has burned his bridges.

Ramage is shite

Emre isnt the answer.

Our 4 best players are all injured. Duff, Dyer, Solano would comfortably make that midfield on that performance. I know Milner ran about a lot but we need so much more than that.

There isnt a centre half at the club I trust. Ramage and Bramble arent up to it. A for the other two, well Taylor appears to be a Craig Moore rather than Bobby Moore in the making. Says it all really.

So we need two fullbacks, two centre halves, one central midfielder and Shola and Michael Owen fit sooner than is possible. Thus we need 7 players in January by my reckoning.

Luque, Bramble and Ramage should never wear black and white again given the evidence of their careers so far.

I would shed zero tears if Milner left as long as suitable cover is bought (which it wont be)

And we are skint.

:D What a shite season this is going to be. Prefer to sit down here in Sheffield and go to the Leadmill every other week and shag that ginger bint but duty calls. Why the fuck me fatha brain washed I have no idea but wish the old sod hadnt.

I think you're being harsh to Milner. The amount of times he was in space absolutely screaming for the ball only to be ignored by his teammates, along with the contribution he made when he had it was more than enough to impress me. We'll be making a big mistake if we sell him in January IMO. Why sell him and buy cover when you've got him here already and know he can do a job?

I think Everton were a threat because of their system and Newcastle were a threat because of individual ability.

The CB pairing was good, most of our attacks seem to break down on the edge of their box, also Everton can change it up, go long for aerial threat, play it through the midfield or over the top for Johnson. We seem limited by comparison.

I don't understand Martins complete reluctance to run into the channels and pick up the ball, lay it off and start attacks. That should be easy for our players but watching the game, i just couldn't see any real pattern or intelligence to our play. That worries me. But then again, when i look at the 1st team coaches...

I think Roeder's got a big decision to make about Emre. He's not offering enough and because of that you notice the lack of physical presence a lot more - if he was playing out of his skin you could probably overlook it, but he's not. I'd be giving Butt a go in the centre if I was Roeder. Or sticking N'Zogbia there when Duff is back. No doubt Emre has some lovely touches and he works hard, but it's not enough.

If you replaced Emre with Butt, you'd certainly notice the difference but I doubt it would be a good one.

If you replaced Emre with Butt, you'd certainly notice the difference but I doubt it would be a good one.

Well Emre and Parker isn't working, and of the two Parker is far more effective, so there's only one that should be dropped. Who you bring in is up for discussion but I don't think Emre does enough.

Well Emre and Parker isn't working, and of the two Parker is far more effective, so there's only one that should be dropped. Who you bring in is up for discussion but I don't think Emre does enough.

I thought Emre was MoM against West Ham and he was decent today. We didn't get enough from Milner, Zog, Sibs and Martins tbh.

This idea that we should have a CM who makes runs beyond the forwards would be a disaster for NUFC due to the fact that, aside from Moore, we have clowns for defenders.

Guest Patrokles

Emre gets swamped because he's basically playing in a one-man midfield whenever we go forward and lose the ball.

I enjoyed today as a game of football. There are signs that we're getting back to playing quick, positive football, and that's mainly what I was looking for at the start of the season. This isn't going to be a season where we get back into the Champ's League or win the Premiership. What we need to see this season is the building of foundations for the coming seasons. Hopefully with the right purchases in January, we'll see that. This season, I'd just like to see entertaining football, which we got today.

Guest Patrokles

I thought Emre was MoM against West Ham and he was decent today. We didn't get enough from Milner, Zog, Sibs and Martins tbh.

This idea that we should have a CM who makes runs beyond the forwards would be a disaster for NUFC due to the fact that, aside from Moore, we have clowns for defenders.

can't agree with the majority of that. I thought our wingers were our best players today.

I'm holding out no hope for the January window. I see no reason to have any confidence in them getting right in one month what they couldn't get right in three. I'm done with expecting a sensible transfer policy from Newcastle tbh. I expect the next window to be striker-tastic with the defence an afterthought.

can't agree with the majority of that. I thought our wingers were our best players today.

Me too. I was disappointed with Martins because of the complete lack of movement he seems to offer, but I thought Zog and Milner did ok today. I don't really expect anything from Sibierski so if he does something decent, I'll take it as a bonus.

Guest Patrokles

I'm holding out no hope for the January window. I see no reason to have any confidence in them getting right in one month what they couldn't get right in three. I'm done with expecting a sensible transfer policy from Newcastle tbh. I expect the next window to be striker-tastic with the defence an afterthought.

To be fair, and though the summer was a disaster, we clearly needed a striker and that's what the focus seemed to be. Now we clearly clearly need a full back or two and a very good central defender. So hopefully something will happen.

To be fair, and though the summer was a disaster, we clearly needed a striker and that's what the focus seemed to be. Now we clearly clearly need a full back or two and a very good central defender. So hopefully something will happen.

Haway, be serious man. We needed all of the above in the summer and we ended up with a left winger and a striker, and three last minute "warm bodies required" signings. We had three months to concentrate on transfers, transfers, transfers, and we did the majority of our business at the last minute. Look at all the business other clubs managed in three months by hard work and forward planning - it doesn't take three months to do what we did in the window.

Now the talk is that we're after another striker in January - who is to say that this won't be at the expense of other areas of the team? After all, Shepherd "knows how the Geordie people like their strikers etc. etc."

Milner was class today, not only his attacking play but he tracked back a fair bit as well. Emre was decent, not creating much on the ground but his crossing and set-pieces were very accurate for the most part. Marins should have scored a hattrick, seemed a bit nervy and the finishing wasnt there. But he's got the desire and with a few more games I think he'll start taking those chances.

Our undoing was again the defence, absolutely pathetic.

Emre's set pieces were poor I thought. Two corners straight out of play ffs. The floated in free kicks are no use either - whether that's the fault of our attackers or Emre I don't know, but they just seem far too easy to defend against. Fizz the fucker in.

Emre's set pieces were poor I thought. Two corners straight out of play ffs. The floated in free kicks are no use either - whether that's the fault of our attackers or Emre I don't know, but they just seem far too easy to defend against. Fizz the fucker in.

Those corners were disappointing, but that is bound to happen once or twice in a match. I didnt see too much wrong with the rest of his crossing, it was just that nobody seemed to be getting on the end of one.

Missing Big Al badly........... :good:

To be fair, our movement on crosses was dismal. You can't stand still and expect the ball to come to you.

Milner threw in a couple of great balls today and it was 5 against 2. He might as well have played it back to Howard and got on with the game.

I think you're being harsh to Milner. The amount of times he was in space absolutely screaming for the ball only to be ignored by his teammates, along with the contribution he made when he had it was more than enough to impress me. We'll be making a big mistake if we sell him in January IMO. Why sell him and buy cover when you've got him here already and know he can do a job?

Simply because i think he will be out of the door. I wouldnt stay if i was him - would you?

Not worried about him staying as cover but if he is the standard of first teamer we have then we are fucked. Would prefer we bought better but we wont.

Never seen any real end product from him, no pace, crossing is patchy at best and shooting doesnt really exist. Works hard though.

He is the attacking version of Aaron Hughes. Mind I suppose you shouldnt wish for things or you might just get it - we got Peter Ramage as Hughes' 'replacement'.

Perhaps youre right. Still stand by the opinion he isnt good enough but decent cover as you say.

Just doesnt strike me as top 10 cover never mind top 6 which is where we should be.