You have the right to remain silent

Happy Face

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5383726.stm

European judges are being asked to rule in a case that could limit the use of speed cameras in the UK.

Campaigners claim requiring car owners to reveal details of who was driving a vehicle caught speeding on camera is a breach of their right to silence.

Human rights group Liberty is backing two motorists in the European Court of Human Rights after the domestic courts rejected their arguments.

The Department for Transport said it would "vigorously" defend current laws.

"The case essentially concerns the requirement for vehicle keepers to identify the driver of a vehicle identified on a speed camera," a spokesman said.

"The applicants claim this requirement breaches the right against self-incrimination and thereby their right to a fair trial under the European Convention on Human Rights.

"The UK government does not accept this claim."

The case is being brought by Idris Francis, from West Meon, Hampshire, and Gerard O'Halloran, from London.

The men also have the support of the Safe Speed road safety campaign, which believes cameras can divert motorists' attention away from the roads.

"The so-called 'right to silence' is ancient and worthy," Safe Speed founder Paul Smith said.

"It was a severe blow to British justice when it was undermined for the sake of nothing more than needless mass prosecutions by speed camera."

The court's ruling on section 172 of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 is not expected for several months.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These Human rights people should stop protecting the rights of criminals and maybe take up the rights of normal law abiding citizens to live a life without the fear of crime.

:D How do you tell them apart without a precise and explicit code of conduct applied accross the board?

The right to remain silent must be about as old and set in stone as the theory of innocent until proven guilty. Would you prefer to erode the human rights of everyone to to ensure someone...anyone was convicted of every crime?

Edited by Happy Face

These Human rights people should stop protecting the rights of criminals and maybe take up the rights of normal law abiding citizens to live a life without the fear of crime.

:D How do you tell them apart without a precise and explicit code of conduct applied accross the board?

The right to remain silent must be about as old and set in stone as the theory of innocent until proven guilty. Would you prefer to erode the human rights of everyone to to ensure someone...anyone was convicted of every crime?

Just start driving responsibly, problem solved

Or at the very least, slow down for speed cameras.

:lol: How do you tell them apart without a precise and explicit code of conduct applied accross the board?

:D

I don't drive.

But then I don't stab people either, I still believe those accused of doing either of those things should have their civil liberties protected.

As with many things in this fucking left-wing mafia run country, a good idea is ruined by the twats in charge. Speed cameras are a great idea that can save many lives when sited in accident blackspots. However, once police forces spotted the potential for revenue, things have gotten completely out of hand.

Up here,on the motorway closest to my village, we have average speed cameras now, which measure your speed over 3 miles and calculate the average. They are placed on a perfectly safe easily driveable stretch of a road which has a terrible accident record, IN CERTAIN PLACES. Needless to say, the cameras are not sited on the accident blackspots, presumably because they weren't making enough money.

As with many things in this fucking left-wing mafia run country, a good idea is ruined by the twats in charge. Speed cameras are a great idea that can save many lives when sited in accident blackspots. However, once police forces spotted the potential for revenue, things have gotten completely out of hand.

Up here,on the motorway closest to my village, we have average speed cameras now, which measure your speed over 3 miles and calculate the average. They are placed on a perfectly safe easily driveable stretch of a road which has a terrible accident record, IN CERTAIN PLACES. Needless to say, the cameras are not sited on the accident blackspots, presumably because they weren't making enough money.

So they make you drive at the speed limit over the entire section? Sounds like a good idea to me, stop whinging about it.

So they make you drive at the speed limit over the entire section? Sounds like a good idea to me, stop whinging about it.

Yet another Nissan Sunny owner it would appear. :D

Edited by Monster

Yet another Nissan Sunny owner it would appear. :D

No, I speed quite often actually, I just make sure I never get caught.... :D

No, seriously, I know cameras can piss you off, but if that's the worst you have to worry about in this left-wing mafia run country then thing are really not too bad. Just resist the urge to speed in that section. Or make it more exciting by driving half of it at 100 mph and the other half at 40. :lol:

Well, it is a trivial complaint seeing as how people are being murdered in wars the left-wing mafia started, so i suppose i should just calm down really. :D

It's just irritating that nothing seems to get done with any common sense these days.

The right to silence is relatively new actually. It was brought in to stop people accused of one thing from being asked to tell the police everything they had done wrong. It isn't about civil rights. If you have been asked about something you have done you should have to tell the police / authorities. Same as I don't believe in a criminals right to private conference with his lawyer either.

The right to silence is relatively new actually. It was brought in to stop people accused of one thing from being asked to tell the police everything they had done wrong. It isn't about civil rights. If you have been asked about something you have done you should have to tell the police / authorities. Same as I don't believe in a criminals right to private conference with his lawyer either.

so, anyone arrested is a criminal until proven innocent and they shouldn't have any fancy dan lawyer trying to keep everything above board while the honest (and institutionally racist btw) force get their confession?

What a loony lefty I am thinking this is what we wanted to move away from.

so, anyone arrested is a criminal until proven innocent and they shouldn't have any fancy dan lawyer trying to keep everything above board while the honest (and institutionally racist btw) force get their confession?

What a loony lefty I am thinking this is what we wanted to move away from.

Do you want to go mis quote what I said some more. You could make up passages and put them in bold. I said Lawyer meetings shouldn't be private. The only reason this is allowed is so other illegal activity isn't found out and the lawyer gets more for winning a case. I also didn't mention innocent until proven guilty or vice versa either I just don't think you should be able to keep quiet about breaking the law if you are caught which these people have been BTW.

So don't worry you're not a loony lefty. Just an idiot.

Edited by Kevin Carr's Gloves

Stuff like this has the Daily Mail types hopping from foot to foot, because it's pitting the poster boy of the poor hard-done by motorist against the courts, who should, of course, be able to treat the accused with the iron fist they deserve without the criminal scum being able to worm out of it by using technicalities such as the law of the land.

What to do, what to do....

You couldn't make it up!

It's political correctness gone mad the way the government these days wants to hand out benefits to anyone with a foreign passport!

4 hours i waited at casualty the other day for a doctor and when he finally saw me he didn't speak a word of bleedin' English. Black as the ace of spades he was.

I wish i was a single mother. Bloody liberty.

I wouldn't mind speed limits if they were relevant.

30 is fine for built-up areas, but how about knocking it down to 20 when kids are going to/from school?

The 70 limit on motorways has been in place since the early sixties when cars had drum brakes and cross-ply tyres. I reckon the accident rate wouldn't go up even if the limit was raised to 85.

30 is fine for built-up areas, but how about knocking it down to 20 when kids are going to/from school?

The 70 limit on motorways has been in place since the early sixties when cars had drum brakes and cross-ply tyres. I reckon the accident rate wouldn't go up even if the limit was raised to 85.

Up until just recently i was on 11 points, 5+3+3. The last 2 installments of 3 were ridiculous. The first 3 was for driving 40 in a 30mph in the bloody middle of nowhere driving to Edinburgh, the second was for doing 37mph in a 30mph at about 12 midnight in a country lane. Have you ever tried changing a cd in a Porschre late at night trying to do 30mph.

I think speed cameras are stupid.

Up until just recently i was on 11 points, 5+3+3. The last 2 installments of 3 were ridiculous. The first 3 was for driving 40 in a 30mph in the bloody middle of nowhere driving to Edinburgh, the second was for doing 37mph in a 30mph at about 12 midnight in a country lane. Have you ever tried changing a cd in a Porschre late at night trying to do 30mph.

You just posted that to boast about your Porsche......

And yet the death rate due to speeding vehicles just keeps going up and up.

You just posted that to boast about your Porsche......

Heh nah I sold it when the misses got pregnant, but no it is harder to drive at 30mph in one.

Does it? I was under the impression that road deaths were falling and we had some of the safest roads in europe.

Does it? I was under the impression that road deaths were falling and we had some of the safest roads in europe.

Wasn`t that proven to be because of safer roads/ raodsurface and safer cars. I`m sure accidents were largely unaffected by the cameras.